NFR Not the Seahawks Thread You Seek

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by napawino, Jan 2, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shad

Shad Active Member

I go a different way. I think they should give college players a choice: scholarship or (modest) salary. Most would take the money, which is fine by me. Frees up scholarships for kids who want to go to college to learn but can't afford it, and lets players be honest about what they're after. Some (the smart ones) will want that free education to get them through life after football, which arrives all too soon for too many pro athletes. Those guys/gals absolutely deserve a scholarship. I think a scholarship used to bring in a one and done athlete, while it probably does a lot for a university's marketing and bottom line, is a wasted opportunity to let a kid who needs help go to college.

2. Shad

Shad Active Member

Ryan is a stud at pinning teams deep. That's a big deal. Worth more than the run of the mill punter salary, if you ask me, but if you don't have the cap space, you can trade him for the equivalent of another Blair Walsh (a decent, but not great kicker).... As important (and bloody dangerous) as special teams are, I think great special teams players ought to be paid well. Only so much to go around, for sure, though.

Charles Sullivan likes this.
  3. Gyrfalcon2015

Gyrfalcon2015 Wild Trout forever

I was a collegiate sprinter at EWU and was a walk-on, and never ended up with any scholarship help. I got $10 for cheeseburgers at away track meets : \ : )
    Totally fine with that. Small school, no one went to our meets-even if WSU had Olympic veteran athletes at the meet. Not bringing any income into the school.

It was year round work, and unlike high school where it was 3 months of after school sports, college track was a really time consuming 9 month job. Between track workout, weights and pool daily, it would often be a 4 hour day+ for the sport. Football guys do a lot of study room time as well. If I was in a sport I could have left school and then be paid for it, have world class training and not have to worry about injury without pay, I'd have jumped !

It takes a lot of sacrifice to be a collegiate athlete and if they are filling stadiums and selling jerseys and getting huge tv $ rights, the players deserve funding.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2018
    Jojo likes this.
  4. Billy McFly

Billy McFly Active Member

I agree - They should get the scholarship and a living expense stipend so they can live comfortably. Funds brought in by the Football and Basketball programs fund all the other collegiate sports. I'd hate to see those sports disappear.

5. Gyrfalcon2015

Gyrfalcon2015 Wild Trout forever

this was from 2011:

"The new Pac-12 TV deals are a wrap and this is a big one for everyone. At $3 billion over 12 years, the Pac-12 will rake in roughly $250 million per year in the largest TV deal for any conference in the country. That means each of the 12 member schools will pocket about $21 million annually when this deal begins in 2012-2013, a far cry from the current TV deal that nets the conference less than $60 million annually."

It is a business for sure, and the trickle down to the other sports is a plus, in my biased view.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2018
  6. Charles Sullivan

Charles Sullivan ignoring Rob Allen and Generic

Home Page:
    Welcome to a pillar of NE Patriots roster construction. The not only pay their kickers but they keep and pay special teams players like Slater, Ebner, King, Jones, Cardona, and Richards.
    One of the major issues with a top heavy roster like Seattle has had is that special teams suffers. It also reduces true competition which was a Hallmark of the Seahawks in Carroll's early years.

Go sox,
    Cds

7. nb_ken

nb_ken Active Member

I got a weird idea. Educational scholarships wouldn't have to be used during football season. Scholarships would be deferrable and fully transferable. If a player wanted to wait until after football is over to go to college, the scholarship is there. If he thinks higher education would benefit his little sister more, give it to her. Or, he could just sell it on Craigslist and take the money.

creekx likes this.
  8. up2nogood

up2nogood Active Member

Something worthwhile , Gruden new Raiders coach 10 year 100 million

9. napawino

napawino Banned or Parked

Snohomish County, sometimes Missoula County
    Jojo likes this.
  10. Charles Sullivan

Charles Sullivan ignoring Rob Allen and Generic

Home Page:
    Sad. You have been reduced to taking shots. Your football team could not even make the playoffs so you have nothing else. Patsie fans all over pity you.

Actually they don't. Patsie fans all over are planning what food to cook in the divisional round of the playoffs. You know, after the 1st round bye.

Go Sox,
    cds

11. DanielOcean

DanielOcean Active Member

See Wino, that's called being made someones bitch. How does it feel?:D

12. napawino

Just posting news about the NFL. If you take it as a shot well then BOOM. I just find it interesting that Tom isn’t so terrific. As a person

13. napawino

That’s how it works where you come from? Where I come from that is just sniveling.

14. napawino

Maybe Charles won’t gloat so much when Tommy is gone and their next great qb plays for the niners.

15. Bruce Baker

Bruce Baker Active Member

Is it okay to say that Jon Gruden is the new Raiders coach in this thread?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.