nother little wild fish

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by golfman65, Sep 10, 2012.

1. golfman65

golfman65 Guest

Ok, ok...I will REMEMBER to take my camera with me from now on.

I would normally take a pic like in my avatar to make little fish look bigger..:) then you would have seen the color and tail better...but I have to admit, this has been pretty fun!!!

2. Smalma

Smalma Active Member

As Salmo said both the snout and anal fin suggest coho. In addition the apparent lack of spots on the dorsal fin as well as a pectoral fin that appears to be opague rather than transparent again suggest coho rather than steelhead.

Pretty common to see some spotting on the tail of in-river coho with the spots mostly confined to the upper and lower lobes of the tail. Can not tell you how many times I have seen anglers based on coloration were fooled into thinking a coho was a steelhead.

Finally in the last two days I have handled very similar fish from two different north Sound rivers that were clearly coho.

In short IMHO ths dandy little fish is a coho.

Curt

3. golfman65

golfman65 Guest

pappi 3.jpg You know I would have bet anyone on here money it was a steelie..I have caught more then a few ho's and never had one this color Hoh river green back or exactly like the hatchery brats green back..the spots on the tail also had me going...

The talk of the anal fin etc. got me going over all my old pic's etc...I found this fish from my gear days...while you'll say that's almost the same fish..this one was a much more grey blue back ..but if you zoom in the tail...there are spots on the bottom part of the fin as well...they are little where the fish in my original pic's were a bit more pronouced...

Fuck me ..could I be wrong?

4. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Could you be wrong? You are fishing. I'm typing. Who cares if I think your small steelhead is a coho? Still a nice bright fish caught on the fly. What's not to like about that?

5. DKL

DKL Nude to the board

Anybody that wears a handsome sweatshirt like the one in that picture can't ever be wrong.

DKL

6. golfman65

golfman65 Guest

Just bugs me as I feel like a retard...looking at what I go on as identifiers and missing that..

I got one last question...here's an ID of fish I dug up...
    the picture of the steelheads mouth is the same as the one I caught..totally white..
    How would I have known this for certain? I hooked it right between the tongue and jaw in the corner and it took me a bit to get the hook out....totally white and I was sold..

Can ho's have white tongues as well? as bright as this one was it had to be damn fresh..so that part I don't know?

salmon.gif

7. nutsack angler

nutsack angler newb

First of all, don't feel bad if you miss a fish ID as you're a fisherman and not a biologist. While everyone makes mistakes I have even seen masters degree holding biologists misidentify fish species so again it's not the end of the world. I'm no expert but that sure looks like a coho

8. Jonathan Tachell

Jonathan Tachell Active Member

Looks like a coho but im no fish bio either. Either way nice chromer on the fly.

9. Thomas Mitchell

Thomas Mitchell Active Member

I don't care which it is. I'm jealous...

I'd trade that fish, whatever it is, for the (expected) skunking I got on the S__k last weekend.

10. golfman65

golfman65 Guest

LoL...I hear you Thomas...was a fun and feisty fight..and as a buddy said..."As long as you got a fish to come out and play" that ain't so bad....

I better move this or delete it from the steelhead page as it's got to be a ho....sent the pic to Nate at burkie...he sent this back..

I sent the photo to a biologist buddy of mine who spent 30 years with ODFW and 10 with the Wild Salmon Center. He took one look and said, "Coho. A really bright little coho."

I got to really learn more about the anal fin so I don't end up being anal..my two guaranteed ID's are not as valid as I thought...

KerryS likes this.
  11. Fishee

Fishee Active Member

I ain't now biologist either. but base on the picture, the hooked nose and black tail tells me that's a coho. NIce fish either way, GRATZ!

Oh! is that a Hardy Perfect? Sweet reel, I love Hardy Perfects. Looks like a nice summer outfit.

12. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

Gman65,

Don't sweat it. I've been looking at lots of fish for decades, and I've had some in my hands that had me confused. Most fish don't look like the fish ID posters.

Sg

13. Charles Sullivan

Charles Sullivan dreaming through the come down

Home Page:
    G-man,

Please ID the tatoo.

Go Sox,
    cds

14. shotgunner

shotgunner Anywhere ~ Anytime

At any rate.. gorgeous bright broad shouldered little fish. Congrats.

15. fishbadger

fishbadger Active Member

jack coho. doesn't matter though, you tricked him. . .that's what matters,

fb