Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Now I went and did it.

NFR 
2K views 47 replies 17 participants last post by  GA 
#1 ·
One of the problems with sitting around waiting for the rivers to come into shape is boredom. I've found through personal experience that boredom is the catalyst for new projects. According to spouse, I've sort of a history of taking on projects that I probably should just have walked away from. Most of them turn out fine, others....not so much.

Yesterday, I was bored and thumbing through our local sales paper. Spouse missed the warning signs and failed to rip the paper out of my hands. Two hour later, I found myself owning a 21ft sailboat. Mostly cosmetic work needed, but a project it is. I've had roughly 15 boats of various shapes, propulsion and sizes and I've restored one classic (1952 Birchcraft) but this is my first in the sailing class vessel. This partiular boat is somewhat rare, made in Washington by Northwest boats, a company which disappeared in 84 I believe. Hull #64 of only 80 made. It's going to be an interesting project to say the least....

Be careful of bordom.

Boat Plant Vehicle Watercraft Tree

See less See more
#9 ·
Nice! Lake sailing is super fun.

Triple check all the standing rigging. Any discoloration around the swedge fitting is a bad sign.

Do a tap test around anything that goes into the deck for dry rot.

Same goes for the gudgeons. Even with an outboard its tough to get anywhere without a rudder.

Maybe do a check on the shivs on the mast. Cheap and easy to replace but you are screwed if they break/seize when on the water.

Make sure you get a hat with scrambled eggs so everybody knows who is in charge.

#13 ·
You'll be wanting to get some 12V Christmas lights for the parade. Wait, does Flathead have a Christmas boat parade? Or do they just driving around on the lake looking at the houses?

#25 ·
Are there a lot of sailboats on Flathead Lk. Tracker?

I sold a Blanchard fin keel sailboat I had long ago to a guy that transported it from Puget Sound to Lk. Pend Oreille.
I think it must be an experience to sail on an inland lake surrounded with the beauty of mountains all around.
Send photos when you get her out on the water.
And don't forget to toast the Old Man of the Sea along with the others mentioned (and no bananas!!!)

#34 ·
How's this for a project boat

She's a 40 something year homebuild that's sat uncovered in a friend's back yard for the past 10 years. In spite of the heavy dose of ugly that she's acquired, the hull in in excellent condition.

I do have to replace a few things, however.

All frame gussets, transom doubler, deck, bow deck, and seats.

Fortunately, I already have some 1" oak to make the new doubler, gussets, and seats. Also have the plywood I need for the new decking.

She came with an old 6 HP Johnson that runs just great.

Should be out on the lakes before the season's over.

#35 ·
When I was 20 something, I rebuilt a 1952 Birchcraft about the same size as that. After finishing the hull, I topped it off by laying mohagany over the bow deck, it turned out beautful. Fun little boat. One of the few I actually made money off of.

#44 ·
We regularly talk about the more money than sense aspect of the boat business. I'm beginning to think we're taking advantage of the mentally ill. I know some boat owners on their fourth or fifth boat. A few guys that own multiple boats. I've been through four owners on one of the boats I work on. Every owner has dumped at least a million into it. The current owner is at about 2.5 mil. He paid aroun700k for it. Lunacy.
Somebody with 2.5 mil into a boat probably lights his cigars with hundred dollar bills. When you get to that range, it's all a status thing not a boat thing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.