Now that's a brown trout......

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Nathan B, Mar 3, 2013.

1. Lugan

Lugan Joe Streamer

I thought browns spawn in autumn...?

2. ak_powder_monkey

ak_powder_monkey Proud to Be Alaskan

Late October, Novemeber, December = Winter in most parts

3. GAT

GAT Dumbfounded

I thought about the spawning river angle but wherever they are fishing does not look like the Fall time of year... that's why I was surprised such a large brown was holding in such a shallow spot in a small river.

Mostl likely, it was all PhotoShopped :D

4. Richard Olmstead

Richard Olmstead BigDog

Leaves off all the streamside deciduous shrubs and the cottonwoods in the background; high cirrus clouds. Looks like a nice late fall or winter day to me. Perfect time for big browns to move up into skinny water to spawn.

My take on the video is that he had spotted that fish previously and returned with a couple of friends to record the capture. Why else the oversized net and camera angles from both side of the stream. This wasn't just a "whoa, looky what I caught" video. Bussman's holiday, my a$$.

D

Mike Ediger likes this.
  5. GAT

GAT Dumbfounded

Richard, I took another look at the clip and at one point, yellowish leafs are shown on streamside vegetation so I guess the clip could have been shot in the Fall.

And you are correct... I was wondering why the devil the guy was carrying around a salmon/steelhead net for such a small river when we know he catches a brown.

Nice brown but certainly not a home video of a couple guys going fishing.

6. IHV2FSH

IHV2FSH Active Member

Man, there are parts of that video that I would like to belive are not "staged" but there are certainly elements to it that are suspicious.

My first, "what the *#^$%^" came when I HEARD the split shot hit the 2ft of water! Not saying that's what happened, because I wasn't there, but we refer to that as "lining" or "flossing" over here. Happens on the Amercian River by both fly and gear anglers after salmon and steelhead. Heavy weight, long leader, big hook, sweep it across the nose of a sighted fish, especially when it's opening and closing it's mouth... whamo!

7. Thomas Williams

Thomas Williams Habitual Line Stepper

Zen this morning on the Truckee I caught a 23 inch brown and a 26 inch rainbow. Both on an adams parachute size 12. The bow buried my rod into the river before leaping from the water pretending to be a steelhead. Could have fooled me. The Truckee river has huge fish and not just a few here and there but bows and browns over 10 lbs are caught regularly. I have no idea about the guy in the video or how legit his hook up was. He looks to be fishing the little Truckee. A section of wild trout water that flows from Stampede Resevoir into Boca Resevoir. That section of river is skinny water throughout but does hold big fish. Most likely the brown came out of Stampede or Boca to spawn and the guy shouldnt have been messing with it. (if it was spawning) I find it hard to believe that in very shallow water and sunny conditions the fish didnt see him. Especially one of that size who has been around the block. So odds are he snagged it. But who knows.

8. lylelovett666

lylelovett666 Active Member

Hard to fathom a fish of that magnitude in such thin water.

9. Peyton00

Peyton00 Active Member

I have hooked many large fish in soft water along shorelines in 8- 10" of water. It's happens mostly on spoons/spinners as they hit the bank or as it starts to swing into the river.

10. David Bershtein

David Bershtein Member

Home Page:
    A wonderful fish, a thing of beauty.

It is enough for me to fish knowing that creatures like that lurk so near us. Beware of wading where you should be fishing.....