Nunally Report

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by Sageman, Oct 3, 2005.

1. Sageman

Sageman Member

Weird day. Had the lake all to myself and it started out very promising with a good bite the minute I got on the water. Probably got 10 or so in the first couple of hours. Then around noon the lake just DIED. I couldn't buy a strike. Went through my streamer box trying several different sizes, colors, styles. Tried bloodworms, damsels, chironimids. Fast, slow, still. Not a single bump the last 3 hours I was on the lake. 10 fish in the first 2 hours. Go figure. Usually it's the other way around. Weather was stable, but I didn't see hardly anything coming off the lake, and only saw about 2-3 fish (other than the ones I hooked) all day. Zero surface action.

I did stop at the Columbia on my way out and worked the flats looking for feeding carp. Managed one fish in about 45 minutes of fishing.

2. David Holmes

David Holmes Formerly known as "capmblade"

Home Page:
    Whoa! I never realized that was an option. Hmm..... Where are "the flats?"

3. Sageman

Sageman Member

You'll see carp cruising along the shores from Vantage all the way down to Beverly, although the dam is in there and messes things up a bit. There is an unimproved launch just above the bridge you pass under before turning off for Lenice and there are some shallow flats here that have a whole bunch of carp cruising around and sticking their tails in the air. I hooked a couple of them and landed one. The trick is to find a day that is calm enough that you can actually spot them and then find the ones that are feeding.

4. Big Tuna

Big Tuna Member

Fished Nunnally on Sunday on my way to a conference. No one else on the lake. 10 or so to hand and at least 15 more hook-ups. Hook-up to land ratio was pretty poor 'cause I was fishing w/ size 20 hooks...at least that's my story and I'm sticking to it:) There was some surface activity, primarily in the middle of the lake. The fish were slurping tiny emerging midges. I just tried to plant myself wherever there were fish feeding and that seemed to do the trick until about mid afternoon when things slowed and I left. By the way, I took my boss and he never landed a fish though he fished the same rig. Not exactly what I was hoping for.

5. salt dog

salt dog card shark

tuna, must have been all the bullshit your flies get exposed to! ;)