Nymph Fishing

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by rlight, Mar 10, 2009.

1. Tim Cottage

Tim Cottage Formerly tbc1415

That is the best approach I've heard yet. I normally break my rod down, restring and re-assemble. Having done it many times, its pretty quick and easy but leaving the leader strung though the guides is a great idea. Now why didn't I think of that :beathead:

TC

2. SmokinAces

SmokinAces Keepin' It Reel

So are you tying a new albright knot from your leader to your fly line everytime? Only problem with that would be that your fly line would start to shrink after awhile. Great idea though, that thought never even crossed my mind.

3. wolverine

wolverine Member

I learned the technique from the brits across the pond. They often use cartridge reels and carry 4 different lines and in a days fishing, use them all. If there is a welded loop on the end of the fly line its easy to tie a Uni knot. You can also nail knot a 12" (or less) piece of 20 Lb Maxima to the flyline and put a small loop on the end of the mono. Then all you have to do is tie either a clinch or a uni knot to the loop.

4. cutthroatking

cutthroatking screw work lets fish

One of the best friggin' ideas I've heard in a long time!!!!

john

5. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Not sure why there is a desire to resist restringing through the guides. I generally put the leader that I want on each line while spooled so if I switch from a floater with a long leader I spool the whole thing up. When I switch to a sinking line with a shorter leader it is already on there. On my multi-tip/versi-tip line systems I also tie via nailknot each leader to each tip so they are fully ready out of the tip wallet. I'd rather spend a few seconds restringing than trying to retie my leader to line knots (besides loop to loop or nailknot to fly line would require the full thing to be removed from the guides anyway). That is my view from the cheap seats.

6. Creatch'r

Creatch'r Heavies...

exactly.

not sure what makes it a hassle.....

i try as hard as possible to eliminate tying nail knots and such on the water. tough thing to do with numb hands. my $.02

7. Tim Cottage

What makes it a hassle is being in a float tube. In a boat or a pontoon, no problem.

TC

8. Ed Call

Tim, good point, but here is one to consider for restringing in a float tube, I separate my rod into two pieces, string up one, then the other, stripping out plenty of line to keep hold of my leader/tippet and then reassemble. This works for me on both my pontoon and float tube even though I'm often using a 10' 4wt or 10' 5wt rod. I guess to each his/her own. I've also not yet had difficulty landing a fish in a tube or toon with my 10' rods, but some say it will eventually happen. I look forward to that HOG hauling event!

9. Stonefish

Stonefish Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater

Gary,
    Good idea. The only downside I see is you are still likely to have to do some work on your leader after the spool change. This of course would be based on what line you just changed to.
    As an example, say you have a floater with a 12' leader, intermediate with a 7.5' leader and a full sink with a 4' leader. If you changed from the floater to the full sink, your full sink would end up with a 12' leader. Flip flop that going from the full sink to the floater, you'd end up 4' leader on your floater.

I've gotten really lazy when it comes to this stuff. ;) I guess that is why I carry three rods strung up to ready to fish. If a hatch comes off and fish are taking dries like crazy, I like to be ready to fish to them immediately without changing spools or leaders.

10. Creatch'r

Creatch'r Heavies...

agree to disagree i guess.

i spend 60+ days a year in my float tube and i change spools and retring rods without breaking them down everytime. i string as far as i can reach ( past the halfway) and pull through a pile of slack (in case i were to drop my rod i have something to grab) and then the lower half goes in the drink where i hold the reel between my ankles and retring the rest. pull the slack through and reach down and grab my rod between the first guide and reel, pull it up shake it off tie on my fly and im ready to fish.

i dont even think about it.

the one time i dropped a rod was while unhooking and photographing a brown on pass lake. somehow in the excitement i nudged my rod off the side of my tube. never will that happen again. i now have a new spot for my rod while taking care of fish.

everything about float tubes is trial and error i guess. everyone works out there own systems. the one thing that is always a bit complicated is taking a piss in a float tube.

still wondering why no one sells a bladder system. sometimes i even consider a catheter :eek:

11. sroffe

sroffe Active Member

iagree

12. Mike (Doc) LaCombe

Mike (Doc) LaCombe Member

Old guys should not stray too far from shore in a float tube. :ray1:

13. wolverine

wolverine Member

Get a "truckers friend". Works like a charm.

14. Ed Call

Sean, Trojan and duct tape makes a great bladder system. After reading your "gameplan" for the search of the greater than 19 1/2" brown I thought the trojan and duct tape would be a benefit!

15. Tim Cottage

Yes, this is what I meant by break down, restring and reassemble. This is how I do it.

Sure, dunking the lower end of your rod and your reel is always an option but I would prefer not to do that.

TC