Nymphing for Steelhead...why are folks against it?

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by jroni, Nov 12, 2009.

1. Jim Ficklin

Jim Ficklin Genuine Montana Fossil

Alright . . . back from a beer-run . . . continue . . . (took a rig with lead wheel-weights, but I'm a Jeeper . . . ).

2. Don Davis

Don Davis Formerly FlyCatcherman, formerly Don_The_Fly

Home Page:
    Almost there guys! Most of the meaningful threads, however could have been reduced to about two pages. But this will still count!

3. inland

inland Active Member

As a jaded angler I find your take a breath of fresh air.

William

4. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Home Page:
  5. rainbownater

rainbownater New Member

This sounds like a typical comment from someone who is the girlfriend of the kind of people I speak of.

So, what kind of "traditional" gear do you use LIsa, since your so frickin concerned with keeping the traditions of fly fishing?

Oh and to answer your question, I think he was referring the fact that you probably don't know what the hell your talking about. I have figured that much out myself. Thanks for all your enlightening posts.:rolleyes:

6. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Home Page:
    I've been fly fishing for close to 15yrs. I've made my own traditions that give me my quality vs quantity satisfaction.

I love swinging, but it isn't the most effective method everywhere i fish. Plus, I have extreme ADD, and can't fish all day with the step/swing method. I need something to switch things up once in a while to keep my head in the game.

7. LisaMfly

LisaMfly "Swing Flies, Be Happy."- Write 2 Fly-Fish

Home Page:
    Sorry I skimmed this the first time. I apologize for if I sounded defensive. Thank you for the compliment, and I that is an interesting observation that you made.

Bottom line is I love to fish. I love that there are debates like this going on on this forum, because despite what others may say, isn't this why we have a forum? Sharing ideas, arguments, points, tips, etc? Ultimately, we all love to fly-fish. That's why we are on this site. (If you don't, then you should probably get off this site and waste your time elsewhere)

Ultimately we all have a deep down respect for one another because we all love the same thing. I just think as long as we all respect the river and the fish (and don't low hole eachother), we can all be happy campers. :)

8. obiwankanobi

obiwankanobi Active Member

To tell the truth, I have been trying to find a nymph for years but all I seem to find are ho's.

9. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Home Page:
    nymph the hoh.. it's a win-win!

sorry, had to take a chance to make another bad joke

10. LisaMfly

LisaMfly "Swing Flies, Be Happy."- Write 2 Fly-Fish

Home Page:
    Wow. You are just extremely rude and out of line. I don't know what I did to deserve this comment from you. I don't appreciate your sarcasm or your put-downs. I'm not trying to be better than any one else on here or be some sort of professional with wisdom, because I know I'm not. I'm just stating my opinion like every one else.

You clearly just wanted a bone to pick with someone, so all I have to say is shut up and go fishing! :mad:

11. 1morecast

1morecast Active Member

There is no need for this kind of behavior..

12. docstash

docstash Active Member

I would much rather cast my two handed rod and swing a run because it is such a joy to cast. I swing all kinds of heads, tips and flys, including poppers and 6" black and blue string leeches and an occasional trailer that looks a lot like an egg. Oops and Dick Nite swings quite well also. This time of year if I have a good hole to nymph I will be nymphing and if on foot moving to the next hole to nymph. I enjoy nymphing as it is a challenge to me to get the perfect drift. With swinging the challenge is in the purity of the cast to the specific target and keep the proper speed throughout the drift.
    Craig

13. rainbownater

rainbownater New Member

I was merely commenting on your arrogant post ............the one i quoted above.

"seems you should just go back to gear fishing"

This kind of comment is exactly the hipocritical holier than though crap that i will not take. I have no bone to pick with you in particular, It seems that you have just fell into the category of people that tend to rub me the wrong way.

You were just touting how we all should love the sport and not low hole each other.....

Its these kind of comments "seems you should just go back to gear fishing" that seperate the fly fishing community.

If that is your attitude, then keep it to yourself.

Nymphing is far more than "gear fishing".............

As far as going fishing,............I do, all the time. This may be why I have been a member of this site for a while and have only 5 posts. Seems like reel fly fisherman don't have to tout themselves on internet forums, too busy catching fish. I knew however that one of these days I would get sucked into a debate, so here I am.

14. fodf

fodf Team Umiak

Rainbownater.."Man I'm glad i'm moving back to Eastern Oregon". UR totally classless calling out Lisa in this post. Get a grip..have a beer..and think about what you said. IMHO, an apology is in order.

My opine is I didn't get into fly fishing to chuck gear that I did as a gear chucker for steelhead, and got my share. If I don't get something on the surface or in the film..I don't care. I'll do what makes me happy..enjoy the hours I do it..and come home. To each their own..not wrong, and not right..it just is.

15. Leopardbow

Leopardbow Member

Might want to have a beer and relax. :beer2: