Nymphing for Steelhead...why are folks against it?

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by jroni, Nov 12, 2009.

1. Daniel Nelson

Daniel Nelson BAMF

im sober when nymphing though...does this make it worse?

2. xdog

xdog Active Member

Home Page:
    I thought about this more and I would further postulate that "if" fewer guys pursued fat chicks that there were be fewer fat chicks by default as if it became somewhat necessary to be slim for a chick to get pursued that there would be therefore quickly more slim chicks for all to enjoy.
    The same must apply for Steelhead such that if there were fewer guys willing to nymph for Steelhead there would be fewer sore mouthed fish ready to rise on a swing for us all to enjoy!
    Just Say No to fatties and Steelhead nymphing.

:)

3. gearhead

gearhead Active Member

Wow, seems we have this thread/debate every quarter. my take on this is simple. when asked why i nymph? I do it to catch more fish! some people choose to handicap themselves to reduce their chances, i say go for it.
    When speaking of traditional methods making one a better flyfisherman than others, with regard to character i mean, i assume that these purists, of the sport use only browns, blacks etc. natural colors right? they of course don't use colors like pink, purple or red right? because if they do, they are throwing lures by definition, so careful what ya say about your fellow angler if your flyshack is made of glass my friends.

"I would much rather follow a Swinger thru a run than a Nympher", i can tell ya that!

4. SilverFly

SilverFly Active Member

OK, twenty plus pages and this debate has finally taken a new and interesting tangent (not to mention politcally incorrect.)

Where to begin....

It really all depends on what you consider "fat." Up until the late 60's, the "ideal" female form was considerably more "curvy" than it is today. In that sense I consider myself a "traditionalist" in appreciating the likes of say, Rachael Welch in her heyday (help me out here old guys.) Heck, even Marilyn Monroe would be considered a porker by today's standards. That said, there is "curvy," there is "ewww," and there is "Damn, I went to Wal-Mart and now I need to gouge my eye's out" (insert fat-guy hipocrasy/chauvinism alert here.)

Now, I have a theory that may give you cause to rethink your postulation linking swinging with a preference for "slim" women. Let's start by asking ourselves who started the whole "slim" revolution back in the 60's and into the 70's? Well, just like today it was the super models. "Twiggy" was probably the original, but there have been a host of others since, such as Cheryl Tiegs, and of course Kate Moss (yuck.) While beautiful women in their own right, it can be argued they are not representative of a normal or even healthy female figure. More important, let's think about who determines who becomes models and supermodels..... Hmm, that would be the fashion designers SILLY!!!!

So if this theory is true, the current "ideal" slim female form in this nation was determined by a small group of men with mostly "non-traditional" sexual orientation ("not that that's a bad thing", - to quote Seinfeld)

Keep waving that skinny chick flag!!!

:hmmm: :eek: ;)

5. Charles Sullivan

Charles Sullivan dreaming through the come down

Home Page:
    No fat Chicks.

No Ma'am

Go Sox,
    cds

6. jobyksu

jobyksu Long Drift Trouter

Ah, but that would take sacrifices! If everybody targeted the slim chicks {swing taking steel} then there would be a great amount of extinction. Of all of those competing for the slim chicks {swing taking steel} only a small percentage will be successful. They will procreate {have a good time} and continue to enjoy their slim chicks {swing taking steel}. The remainder that tried to pursue the slim chicks {swing taking steel} were ultimately unsuccessful, and their genetic material {swinging rods} will be removed from the gene pool {rivers} as they die out {give up the sport} due to being unsuccessful in their pursuit.

In the meantime, if *anybody* breaks the pattern and goes for the fish that prefer nymphs {non slim chicks} then the lack of competition will make them uber-successful. Thus, they will procreate {catch fish} more often. The traits that made them successfully procreate {catch steel} are them much more likely be passed on to their offspring {friends who also want to catch steel}. As the slim chasers {swingers} die off {leave the rivers in disgust}, they will be recognized as a minority and their traits will be deemed undesirable. Thus, the desire for slim chicks {swinging for steel} will, over time, fall out of fashion and potentially die out for lack of a sustainable reproducing population {anglers to pass on the tradition}.

Our friend Nash may have been loony as a Canadian dollar, but he was on to something.

7. Split Bamboo

Split Bamboo Member

Some curves are great...rolls not so much.

8. Nate Dutton

Nate Dutton I'm a teacher, I fish to eat!

But they question is how many of you have been with a bigger gal? More to love so to say. The rumors......are true! Try it out, ya might like it.

9. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Where the hell did this one go? Will it ever go away?

10. Split Bamboo

Split Bamboo Member

Dude, you started it with the whole nympho librarian comment last week!:rofl:

11. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

You can not blame this thread on me. Many have danced here besides me and I have regularly asked for its demise.

12. SilverFly

SilverFly Active Member

Nympho librarian?! Damn, now I gotta go back and read this whole stinking thread. Hmm, wonder if the liquor store is closed yet...

(sorry Mumbles, I thought it would be dead by now too.)

13. Gatorator

Gatorator Member

Than by definition there must be a lot of guys on this forum who have never been with any type of chick. [​IMG]

14. Jim Ficklin

Jim Ficklin Genuine Montana Fossil

What was this thread about again?

15. Trent

Trent Ugly member

So, essentially what you are saying is that here in Washington State the vast majority of guys are "Nympers"? You are talking about the area were the term "Bremaro" coined, that same rapper even commercalised and and started a trend for worshiping fat chicks with the song "Big Butts".

Hmm...interesting theory. By your reasoning, if we wish to improve the quality of female figures here in Washington, we need to swing more and nymph less?

So Richard Simons is the mascot for swinging flies, the leader of the revolution?