Nymphing for Steelhead...why are folks against it?

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by jroni, Nov 12, 2009.

1. Blake Harmon

Blake Harmon Active Member

I primarily nymph for steel (the way I learned) and use Streamers when im not nymphing. I just wanted to know, From a few different members. Is there really no difference between bait guys, and your average nymphing fly fisherman? Really????

If a fellow flyfisherman came up to me spouting about how i was practically bait fishing, I wouldnt be very happy, In fact id be insulted.

I have admiration for all fellow fly fishers, no matter what the tactic. And one day I hope to be on big water enough that I can swing 100%. But I am an eastsider, who spends most the time on Tucannon, so thats just not an option at this point.

And from an outside perspective, A true "elitest" fly fisherman wouldn't bitch and nag about other ways to fish, He would absolutely and unequivocally be content with his own method.

2. g_smolt

g_smolt Recreational User

I'm so cool that I don't even swing for steelhead anymore, much less nymph.

I just stand on the shore, exuding an elitist attitude, and damn if the fish don't just swim up to my feet, just to be near me...

But here's the catch: I'm so elitist, I just shun them away. After all, why have a bunch of fish ruin my experience in the river?

3. rainbownater

rainbownater New Member

Where do you see nymphers camping on water? They must not be very successful. The most active fly fisherman I have seen are "nymphers".

I think the reel reason you or anyone else has a problem with "nymphers" is that they out fish you. :rolleyes:

4. Sageman

Sageman Member

So how is swinging a fly different from a gear fisherman letting a spoon swing across the current? Or swinging a corky or spin and glo across the bottom?

Not sure what your point is here and I'm not sure why you are taking such a hostile tone here.... I usually methodically work through a hole/drift/run regardless of which method I use.

5. BDD

BDD Active Member

Home Page:
    In my previous "rant" (about as much ranting as I'll do here anyway) on the centerpin thread, I was so focused on the elitism of fly guys towards gear guys, I totally forgot about the elitism of fly guys on other fly guys (swingers vs. nymphers). Yes, they are out there. With any luck I won't come across them during a day of fishing.

6. John Wallace

John Wallace Active Member

I don't know, maybe I'm just to old, but I fly fish because I have fun and it gets me away. Just because I fish the way I like doesn't mean anyone else has too. They should fish how they have fun.
    The idea is to go out and have fun!

7. koolminx

koolminx Member

OK I get it now.... :D

8. Blake Harmon

Blake Harmon Active Member

Sageman, you are my idol. everything you say, I agree with.

9. Charles Sullivan

Charles Sullivan dreaming through the come down

Home Page:
    There's quite a few people getting worked up here about things that aren't being said. Very odd.

Go Red Sox,
    cds

10. jroni

jroni Member

The most common thing I'm hearing is once you've caught one on the swing then you won't switch back. I guess I disagree with that notion since I've caught them on a dry, nymphing and on the swing and would rather catch them on a dry first. The other thing is I don't really see that much of a difference between nymphing and swinging. When you nymph you pretty much swing the second half of the cast anyways? I've caught fish on the dead drift part, the swinging part, and on the strip return. The nostalgic argument makes some sense I guess but so much has changed in all aspects of flyfishing that unless you are using a bamboo rod it only makes a bit of sense to me.

11. slim

slim Fish or Ski...Fish or ski....fish!

The only guys I've ever seen sitting on a hole not moving are gear guys. If you aren't moving through a run when you are nymphing you aren't doing it effectively. The only thing you do differently is drift your nymph through the various depths of the run which may require a few extra tosses. Bottom line is do what you are comfortable with and catch fish, no matter which way you do it......no right or wrong, nobody is cooler if they do it either way. The coolest guy is the guy smiling on the side of the river with an ear to ear grin because they just landed some steel

12. rick matney

rick matney Active Member

I'll nymph for steelhead until i can figure out how to get them to eat a stripped 8" hot pink sculpin ripped through a log jam and pitched in undercut banks while fishing from a boat........or i'll use a pinner and a pink plastic worm.

13. Panhandle

Panhandle Active Member

No way! 3 pages already on a nymphing vs. swinging thread? It's so fucking predictable that it's not even entertaining anymore. Just lock it--nothing new to say and certainly nothing enlightening coming. ptyd

14. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Home Page:
    Who wants to go in on writing a steelhead book based on nymphing? Then we'd be the cool guys

15. Charles Sullivan

Charles Sullivan dreaming through the come down

Home Page:
    I disagree old man panhandle. There will be many enlightening things in the coming pages. We may be able to learn all new insults and reasons to get our panties up in a bunch. We will learn the wonders of projecting. Most importantly we will learn who we should not fish with.

The whole who not to fish with is pretty useless for me though. I'm such a prick I nearly always fish alone.

Go Red Sox,
    cds