Nymphing for Steelhead...why are folks against it?

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by jroni, Nov 12, 2009.

1. LisaMfly

LisaMfly "Swing Flies, Be Happy."- Write 2 Fly-Fish

Home Page:
    In my opinion, nymphing seems like a non-proper way to "fly-fish". Might as well bust out the fishing pole and bait. If you can't catch steelhead on a swing with a dry line, try a sink tip, if that doesn't work, say F*ck it and go home. You get more respect for catching steelhead the way it should be done. :) (btw, I'm new to this, so take everything I say with a grain of salt.)

2. Hillbilly Redneck

Hillbilly Redneck wishin i was fishin

I fish the way I do because it pleases me.

3. slim

slim Fish or Ski...Fish or ski....fish!

Hey LisaMfly, you haven't been skunked steelheading yet have you? :beathead:This year's monster run has been a lot of fun to catch fish on ANY method, but attitudes change when the fishing is a lot slower and you like to catch fish.

I occasionally nymph therefore I am a bad person, that shit cracks me up! Talk about elitism. It really doesn't matter how you fish and what you fish with. If you are fishing with a fly rod, you are challenging yourself to catch a fish in a harder method of fishing. You have devoted yourself to understanding what fish eat, temperatures and how they affect the bite, reading water.........

As far as the take, I have caught fish this year on the swing that haven't hit that hard, and have caught fish nymphing that have rocked. It all depends on the fish, but ya, I guess overall the take on the swing is more aggressive.

4. BDD

BDD Active Member

Home Page:
    My post has nothing to do with steelhead nymphing. I have my opinions and have stated some of them here. Nothing I read on the internet will change my mind or how I fish.

However, after reading back-to-back posts from Sg and LisaMfly, I went to their respective home pages. Sg has over 3,000 posts and has some of the most thoughtful posts I have ever read here: his posts, and a handful of others is a big reason why I stay tuned to this site. He has had 180 or so visits to his page.

LisMfly, from what I can see, is an attractive women who has been here for a few months and about 91 posts. She has had 811 people view her home page. I hope she does not find what I say offensive; it is only an observation.

Post counts and time being here mean little to me as I admire content and quality over quantity. I bring this up only because I find it interesting, a little humorous, and strengthens my belief that most men are pretty pathetic. :rofl:

5. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

I have always looked at nymphing as a different way of fly fishing. When I fished in Washington before I moved to Montana I did the swinging thing and the dry fly thing and I even tried a few wet flies.

But now that I'm in Montana, it is nymphing or just stay home. I do it with a thingambobber and one "BB" sized split shot and two nymphs. One a size 18 and the dropper a size 22. I don't fish all day anymore as I can get all I want in about an hour of fishing. So if I want to catch fish, I have to nymph. And I enjoy it.

Jim

6. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

Sg has a home page? What is it? Where is it? Never heard of it. Shows what I know. Even if LisaMfly didn't have a picture, it wouldn't be speculation to bet she's better looking than me.

Sg

7. 1morecast

1morecast Active Member

Nymphing for Steelhead.............Why are people against it???

Why?? Because I do not enjoy nymphing for anything! No other reason, my choice, does not make me any better, or worse then you.:beer2:

8. BDD

BDD Active Member

Home Page:
    :rofl: That is the kind of stuff I'm talking about.

OK, maybe homepage is the wrong term but I can't think of a better one. From the drop-down menu when hovering the mouse over a person's name, select "view public profile" to go to their "home page".

9. Flyborg

Flyborg Active Member

I'm against nymphing because I'm lazy. Swinging is far less work.

Also, I'm against it because I don't like catching fish.

10. Michael Thompson

Michael Thompson the flavor of BADFISH

Home Page:
    people get pissed about nymphing for the same reason people get upset at the thought of OBAMA-CARE.

11. Luke77

Luke77 I hope she likes whitefish

:rofl::rofl:

That's the BEST explanation I've read yet!

12. Charles Sullivan

Charles Sullivan dreaming through the come down

Home Page:
    Ding Ding Ding!!! Winner winner chicken dinner!!! There it is. Short and sweet.

13. Itchy Dog

Itchy Dog Some call me Kirk Werner

Home Page:
    I've never really enjoyed nymphing in general, and I'd never nymphed for steelhead until a trip this past fall. The intent was to employ the Spey rod and the swung fly. When that failed to produce, my buddy who happens to also be a forum member and who shall remain nameless for matters of public shame, produced his meat pole (don't go there, you dirty-minded bastards). He proceeded to begin hooking up with fish. After some doing he finally talked me intro trying it. I also began hooking up with fish. We continued to work every run hard with our swung flies first, but our hookups all resulted by way of the nymph stick. Yes, I would have preferred to catch the fish on the swing, because as we all know that there's more to fishing than catching fish. But sometimes a person just wants to catch a fish. It felt a little dirty, but I got over it. And I recently acquired a rod specifically for nymphing steel. I hope I don't have to use it very often, but when in Rome, do as the Romans do. Or something like that.

14. Paul Huffman

Paul Huffman Driven by irrational exuberance.

Home Page:
    I'm working on bringing SGs profile visit count up. 188 now!

15. longstick

longstick Member

Fuck respect, the way it should be. That is a line of shit. Everyone fish your style and lets get off of this thread, this one is played out.