Nymphing for Steelhead...why are folks against it?

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by jroni, Nov 12, 2009.

1. Tyler Sadowski

Tyler Sadowski Active Member

Amen. I nymph for steel and swing for steel, its about what I like not what anyone else likes. I fish for me and no one else.

2. alpinetrout

alpinetrout Banned or Parked

This topic just comes up because the swung fly-only for steelhead crowd gets desperate for attention on a regular basis, just like the Harley riders.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/rRnVKPijx70&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/rRnVKPijx70&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

3. speyfisher

speyfisher Active Member

Well, this is my take on it. I didn't read all 6 pages, 88 posts, so I hope I'm not repeating anything.

The long and storied history of fly fishing for steelhead has led to the development of many techniques and advancments in equipment over the years. It didn't happen overnight. Imagine having to paint a fly line with leaded boat paint to get it to sink. Or picking pieces of lead core out of trolling line to make a shooting head that you could cast on an 8 or 9 wt fiberglass flyrod. Which was probably the heaviest available rod at the time. Patching together a sink tip line. A lot of stuff probably didn't work. At least not at first. Talk about having to pay your dues.

We have it easy today. Just go out and buy the stuff. Still, to be successful swinging flies, requires learning to set up a sink tip system, (on a spey rod maybe) how to cast it, how to mend line to get down, how far down is far enough, in what water, what fly, what speed? Only a limited amount of this can be gleaned by anything less than time on the water. A lot of time on the water.

So what's the average Joe, working 40 hrs (or more) a week, family man, honey-do's, limited time on the water to do?:beathead: Nymph rig. Depth is controlled simply by sliding the bobber up or down. One or two heavy fly patterns, (it doesn't really matter, it's the weight) and a half dozen bead head prince nymph and copper john patterns. Throw in some power bait emergers for good measure. The learning curve has now been shortened dramatically!

4. Ringlee

Ringlee Doesn't care how you fish Moderator Staff Member

YES!!!!!!!:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

5. g_smolt

g_smolt Recreational User

Most of the dudes I see swingin' flies could sure use a few years of gear fishing under their belt...then maybe they wouldn't fish such marginal water.

6. Be Jofus G

Be Jofus G Banned or Parked

:rofl: :rofl::rofl: :rofl:

7. Luke77

Luke77 I hope she likes whitefish

I'm sorry, but I respectfully disagree. I believe you have it the other way around.

8. HauntedByWaters

HauntedByWaters Active Member

You guys are once again arguing with nobody here when you make fun of swingers. I haven't seen an elitist remark or any snooty shit in this thread.

My response a few pages back was like most. I explained my thoughts on the subject and my reasoning as to why I swing flies. Depending on where you live and fish your reasoning will be different. That is why this isn't really an argument but it seems some of you would like to bring it to that.

I personally like fishing forums because it introduces me to different ideas and opinions. Two excellent fishermen who totally disagree is about as interesting as it can get IMO.

On another note: for every dumbass swinger I see a dumbass nympher who tangles up his shit every other cast and curses aloud so everyone can be annoyed at his ineptitude. As little as I nymph I know not to put split shot 12 feet down a leader, keep my loops extra wide, and mend like hell. That is because like a good nympher or a good swinger, good fishermen understand the fundamentals to make any technique work.

I also think it is apt for me to mention that I was swinging flies yesterday and barfed in my mouth watching 3 guys fully decked out trying to cast their top line spey outfits after they had obviously never practiced. They had no clue what they were doing. It is always hard to see that shit.

Swinger or nympher, there are still tons of clueless "dumb dicks" out there among us so lets not over generalize.

On top of all of that, I believe this thread was started by a nympher so it has nothing to with swingers wanting attention.

It seems more like you guys enjoy ganging up on swingers so you can feel better about yourselves. :D;)

9. alpinetrout

alpinetrout Banned or Parked

I was referring to the consistent stream of threads that led the poster to get the impression that people have a problem with nymphing for steelhead (yet for nothing else, oddly), not this thread itself.

10. long_rod_silvers

long_rod_silvers New Member

I thought the whole point is to have fun. If you can catch steelhead and have fun nymphing, more power to ya. If you don't have fun nymphing, for what ever the reason, keep on swingin' buddy. Either way, the bottom line is to enjoy the process.

11. HauntedByWaters

HauntedByWaters Active Member

Yes. It is strange. It is like people can't accept that others are different.........Crazy!

Never thought humans would be like that......;)

12. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Home Page:
    We're almost to 10 pages guys! I have faith in you!

13. Charles Sullivan

Charles Sullivan dreaming through the come down

Home Page:
    I have friend who is a swinger. Polyamorous is what he calls it. I just recently went to his wedding. Very confusing. I mean, why would you get married if your polyamorous. But I guess that's just how they do it. Good for them.
    My question is, If you are a swinger do you then swing for nymphs? Maybe I'll give him a call and ask.

14. zenzless

zenzless Experienced Enthusiast

Swingers and bobbin’ nyphmers have always been perceived by some people to be unethical and dirty but they don’t judge themselves that way because they are free spirited and guilt free (or maybe addicted). They have way too much fun doing it and usually no time to judge others. Oops, this is a fishing argument.

Hey did anyone ask the fish how they like to be caught?

Otherwise Salmo g makes the most reasonable observation on page 5 in my opinion… and this is all about opinion.

Let’s hold on to a perception, draw a line in the sand, pick sides and start another war.

In the mean time let everyone take the journey at their own speed. Here we meet in the middle and maybe help the fishery too. Shall I hand out flowers?

I have watched a fish attack a yellow apple for 200 yards but I don’t think I could have caught it with any method using fly line. Cool. Hopefully it had enough energy left to spawn. Its progeny might give me a chance to be caught in the moment doing something even I sometimes don’t fully understand why I enjoy it, only that I do.

And you didn’t think you were philosophers.

Evan pass the popcorn, I think we can still get to 10 pages.

15. Big Tuna

Big Tuna Member

Agreed. This gets my vote for stupid thread of the year...every year. Anyone that gets worked up over this stuff needs a little more hardship in his/her life to gain some real perspective on what is significant. It's an inane argument that no one ever wins, but some folks are deluded into thinking that if they blow enough hot air and call people enough names, they will prevail.