nymphing for steelhead

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by luckybalbowa, Dec 10, 2005.

1. Monk

Monk Redneck

Yeah, I have had limited sucess with little fles for winter steelhead. I do fish big waters though. In the summer, i have taken steelies on BWO's and coachmans as small as 16. In the winter, I am just too lazy to really work big water with a small fly. Whatchyagonnadoo?:confused: Plus, any smaller and you will be fighting off the whiteys.

2. Steelie Mike

Steelie Mike Active Member

Home Page:
    Mark, just make sure you nymphs are strong enough to handle a large fish. I losssed a toad on the Rogue a couple of years back because my hook straighted at the end of the battle. There is nothing like having the fish at your feet and then have it fling back at you all straightend out..
    I personally like to swing my version of a caballero. That give me the option to nymph with it also if I am in the right spot. You just got to get it in there face.
    Skwala, natural flies do work summer Skamania fish. Burlaps, Spades and Greenbutts are great patterns in the summer when the water is down. I do doubt they would work very well in the winter though. Again caballeros are great flies for skamania fish though.

3. Davy

Davy Active Member

not sure how accurate that is:p , but he does indeed drink the Schmitties!!!!!! no wonder he falls down alot in the river:rofl: :rofl:

4. Zen Piscator

Zen Piscator Supporting wild steelhead, gravel to gravel.

Home Page:
    I like smaller flies when targeting summer fish, a sz 12 copper john and 10 prince accounted for most of my steelhead this fall.

Peace,
    Andy

5. Hoglipstick

Hoglipstick tailing looped

I was searchin' around in my vest one day on the Duc and found a "Flaskback". I didn't throw it at the fish though, cause it was filled with Jim Beam. I ended up fishing with rubber legs.:beer1:

6. Panhandle

Panhandle Active Member

Steelie Miike you may be right. My experience of fishing for them on the N. Santiam, when I lived on the river and fished 250+ days a year was that those fish only move to natural patterns and swung flies when they're fresh in the river or on their first recycle. My 2 cents.

7. Davy

Davy Active Member

:thumb: I'm in Zens camp, have fished down to #16 black micro mays, Pt's, Prince's in the summer / early fall with good success. Later fall I like the rubber legs or even the double rubber with an egg for nymphing but start swingin Spades and small speys&feather bodied patterns perhaps more in the mid fall and moving into marabous, big speys/shrimp patterns as winter gets here. As well depends on the river system and geographic region as well. Are there large runs of salmon present, prevalent food sources, bugs they are used to seeing in the river etc?

8. Jake Smulkowski

Jake Smulkowski Throwing hoppers into baetis falls

Home Page:
    Big nasty stoneflies or Prince nymphs and egg droppers. But I've never caught anything but northern squawminnow and suckers when targeting steelhead that way.

9. Porter

Porter Active Member

It seems no matter what I use lately (last year plus) I catch no Steelhead...maybe a YT or a small 6" trout .....I have this pisces thing going on...OM can confirm.

10. Randy Knapp

Randy Knapp Active Member

I have caught several including a 35 1/2" fish on my mohair beadhead in sizes 10 and 8. I think a size 10 or 8 hares ear or Prince would also be effective. Of course, egg patterns will work also. The key, as always, is getting the fly in front of the fish. In any case, be sure and use strong hooks as I lost some big boys using lighter wire.

Randy