Nymphing rods.

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by DanielOcean, Jul 10, 2014.

?

Your preferred nymphing rod.

1. Single hand

47.3%
  2. Switch rod

25.5%
  3. Center Pin

21.8%
  4. Other.

9.1%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Jeff Sawyer

Jeff Sawyer Active Member

Pass the razor when you're done.

2. golfman44

golfman44 5-Time Puget Sound Steelhead Guide of the Year

I've only used a centerpin for 10 minutes in my entire life but voted for it. Drag free drifting yarn + a bead right thru Dan's swing while I'm 150 yards above him in the run was priceless.

Someone sell me a pin please.

plaegreid and stilly stalker like this.
  3. Klickrolf

Klickrolf Active Member

The most effective method to "fool steelhead" would be a centerpin outfit because that is what they are designed for, dead drifting just off the bottom. If you use bait they are closer to equal but centerpin still wins because of the ease of presentation, whether from a boat or the bank.

Since it's all about numbers you'll do best with a properly setup centerpin outfit. Didn't vote because I don't know how to nymph.

4. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Home Page:
    For me, it's not even a numbers thing. I'll put it down and swing flies no problem. I just think centerpinning is an incredibly fun way to fish.

5. golfman44

golfman44 5-Time Puget Sound Steelhead Guide of the Year

Evan do you have any spare pin setups you could hook me up with

6. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Home Page:
    I only have one reel at the moment

7. Irafly

Irafly Indi "Ira" Jones

Hmmm, I pinned and I caught on my first try with Evan's tutelage, but then I went back to the single hand and caught as many as Evan did with the pin. Although he was having a bit of a hook up ratio problem, at least that is what he claimed anyway. I was having a case of the OMS myself with a bummed wrist, but still we both landed 5 or more a piece that day with others on. No split for me. Since though, I tried a 8 wt switch that I loved oh so much more than my single hander and I doubt I will ever go back. The extra length gives you better line control for working seems and as mentioned before it helps with hook set especially when you've made a super long drift.

8. jake-e-boy

jake-e-boy sans caféine

Are good.

9. jake-e-boy

jake-e-boy sans caféine

Sometimes

10. jake-e-boy

jake-e-boy sans caféine

Billy mad would like some likes guys he feels lonely

11. karnage

karnage Have you swung a fly today?-

including balls or just ass hair?

12. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Home Page:
    yes

13. BDD

BDD Active Member

Home Page:
    I voted for the CP as my overall preference based purely on versatility though it really depends on the situation. If fishing in a boat with a good rower, a single hand rod is pretty good but so is the CP. I guess I prefer the shorter fly rod in this case. The size of the river also plays a factor. On small, intimate waters, I think a CP rod causes less commotion than "fly casting" which seems like it would be an advantage.

For me I just like fishing and seeing fish caught, whether by me or my buddy. If he/she is flyfishing a single hand rod, then I'll probably do the same. If a switch rod, then I'll do the same. If a CP rod, then I'll probably do the same. If I am by myself (which is most of the time), I would fish what pleases me the most, which is generally the technique that I think will provide me with the best opportunity to catch fish, but not always.

I think in most all cases, the advantage goes to the CP rod. That being said, I had a very nice custom 4 piece CP rod made and matched it with a nice Ross Flow reel a few years ago and have only used it a few times, mostly because I don't have a lot of partners who CP fish (casting was more challenging than I thought it would be too). That being said, I would prefer catching fish on the swing, whether with flies or gear over nymphing as to me, the feel of the take is more enticing and exciting than the visual aspect of watching a bobber, float, or indicator go down. The only thing that trumps this statement is the visual aspect of watching a fish take a dry fly.

If I had to provide a fish to save my family from being killed, aside from dynamite, a net, or chemical like MS-222 or rotenone, I'm not sure which would be more effective; a spoon or a CP rod. I think the latter since I have a higher hook to land ratio, unless I thought the water conditions would prohibit the fish from seeing my nymph/bead.

Overall, I think the CP does the best job at presenting a nymph setup in the river. In stillwaters for trout, a single hand rod with an indicator is the bomb; I don't think anything else even comes close to presenting midges more effectively.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2015