Oars Revisited....

Discussion in 'Watercraft' started by BirdyinBOI, Mar 17, 2012.

1. BDD

BDD Active Member

Home Page:
    The ultimate oar length will be determined by choice/preference and frame width. I used 8' SSG's with my first few 10' pontoon boats and while they were nice, after trying the 7.5 Mini Mags, I preferred the lighter Mini's better. I kinda want to try a counter balanced SSG before I actually decide what I like best though.

2. BirdyinBOI

BirdyinBOI Member

Nice comments guys...thanks so much. You've sold me on the Mini-mags. My frame will be 55" wide and I'm guessing 58-59 at the oarlocks. I like to row with my hands about 10" apart. I think'they'll be OK. Thanks again.

3. veilside180sx

veilside180sx Active Member

Home Page:
    The other option is Lamiglas makes a carbon/graphite pontoon oar as well that comes in 7' and 8'. I like them a little better than the Mini-Mag's.

For a 9' or 10' it's hard to beat the Lami pontoon or Mini-Mag's. Those boats, even in pretty heavy whitewater...just take so little to move that a full blown oar is unnecessary.

4. Jerry Daschofsky

Jerry Daschofsky Moderator Staff Member

Home Page:
    I knew I had a pic here somewhere. But this is my 10' Steelheader with my old whitewater frame (I had it custom built before most on here outside of whitewaterers ever touched a pontoon boat). This frame is the proper dimension for a 16' cataraft back in the day (per tube/frame equation). Sitting on my 10' tubes sits nicely, rows like a dream, and setup for big oars (I used these exact 8' cataracts with two 1' carlisle extensions per oar on my 16' cataraft). Plus with the bigger oarlocks, I can toss in my sawyer oars (this setup now has my pin/clips in it). It's really up to the person like I said. Those equations are not a hardset rule (hence most small boat frame dimensions are usually within the specifications). I like a wide frame. My 16' fishing cataraft had a 48" wide INTERNAL frame width. Plenty of storage and comfort with multiple people (could put 3 plus rower in when needed).

The key with any of these boats and options is really to find people who have what you want and try it. I had the mini mags on my old original steelheader (and I mean the original all made in Redmond boat). I sold them off, took one of my extra set of 8' cataracts and wrapped it and put doughnuts on it, and put bigger oarlocks on and used it that way until the day I sold it. I like the longer oars, I can handle them with ease, and I like the feel of a standard oar. I never liked the smaller diameter oars. But did like the collapsibility of the mini mags I had. But again, didn't like the small feeling of them.

Attached Files:

BirdyinBOI likes this.
  5. BirdyinBOI

BirdyinBOI Member

Thanks for the pic and the info Jerry. I'll check out Lamiglass. Say, those galvanized clamp-on fittings that I see on the Steelheaders for attaching the blocks for anchor lines...what are those called and where does one buy those?

6. BirdyinBOI

BirdyinBOI Member

That makes complete sense. I want the oar to feel good and hold up but on rivers I know they won't be doing all that much work.

7. PT

PT Physhicist

Birdy, I've looked for those clamps off and on for years and haven't found them yet. If you find some, let me know where. I'll post a pic of what I ended up doing. It may take a while.

8. Silvertone

Silvertone New Member

I dont know for sure but those clamps look like chainlink fence fittings.

9. Jerry Daschofsky

Home Page:
    Ahhhhhhhh, the illusive clamps. What I heard from Bill Day himself was that he had them machined/made directly for him. I've seen something that looked "sorta" similar at West Marine years ago, but wasn't quite the same. I myself have looked EVERYWHERE for them. Not sure if Steelheader still has rights to them (if they did design them) or if you could take one off and have it copied. Isn't much to them really. Wonder if a few of the marine shops may carry them?

10. BirdyinBOI

BirdyinBOI Member

I'll call Steelheader and report back.

11. PT

PT Physhicist

Jerry, I got the same answer from Bill. When I picked up my Osprey a few years ago he only had a couple on hand. He wouldn't sell them to me and wouldn't tell me when he was getting more. He did say they were made just for him. I looked everywhere and couldn't find 'em. Other stuff will work but those are perfect for the application.

12. Jerry Daschofsky

Home Page:
    Bill kept that stuff pretty guarded after a bit. I couldn't ever get his insight on where he had them made. They are cast, so assuming probably overseas at one of the big production plants there. Just added his own hardware here. I have several, I guard them with my life. Bill would toss me a set free, but I bought one of his first Steelheaders from him years ago, and was something I considered a "friend". Just wouldn't talk shop that often, more fishing and rowing whitewater.