OB vs OB Short on the Beach

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by chrome/22, Aug 2, 2013.

1. dryflylarry

dryflylarry "Chasing Riseforms"

I have a CPX 6wt. and run an Outbound Short dry line that I like mostly fine. I'm not a big fan of shooting lines, but for salmon fishing and delivering long casts, their the ticket. I occasionally tangle and knot them up. Then I get a little pissy.

Rob Hardman and Kcahill like this.
  2. chrome/22

chrome/22 For him there whould always be the riddle of steel

Jack, thanks for hitting the point on the head.

I've used the OB regular on two 6 weights. I really liked it on a 9' Batson RX8 not so much on the other stick. Have a coldwater 40+ on my big 8, really works good on that Redington RS4. Never have cast a OB short yet.

c/22

3. Jim Wallace

Jim Wallace Smells like low tide.

Cranberry Country...a glorified coastal swamp!
    From reading the above replies, I think that maybe I should give the newer OB Short a try. I try to keep an open mind. Thanks for starting this thread, chrome/22.

I have an Airflo 40+ floater that I loaned to another forum member while my casting arm heals enough to start flailing a 6 wt again.

However, I'm gearing up for salmon trolling locally, and am determined to get up into the back country for some trout fishing with my 3 and 4 wts.
    Might hit a rain shadow beach sometime in the middle of next week.

4. SciGuy

SciGuy Active Member

I have both but use my full length OB most of the time. I only prefer the short when fishing a steep beach or the wind is blowing above 8 mph.

5. Cuttbow82

Cuttbow82 Active Member

I just purchased a Sage Response 697-4 (9"6" 6wt fast action) rod that I would like to gear up for saltwater. I'm mainly going to be using it for pinks, silvers, and SRC. Would I be better off with the WF6/I or the WF6/SI? Would anyone recommend going with a WF7 line for this rod?

Any input would be appreciated!

6. chrome/22

Give Anil a ring down @ Puget Fly Company, he is dialed in on Sage rods & NW beach lines.

c/22

7. David Loy

David Loy Senior Moment

Didn't care for the regular OB, floater or intermediate. Tried a 6wt OB Short floater a few months ago, and ran straight back to the fly shop to get an intermediate too! World of difference IMO. As long as your rod is fairly fast action, go for it. I can tell you the OB Short on a 6wt XP is a very good match.
    As an experiment, I took an older 6wt OB intermediate and chopped 7' off (similar to Mingo's post above), to use on an older 5wt Sage (GFL). That worked pretty well but the turnover at the end is very abrupt, as you would guess. Might be alright with a poly tip. So, for a floater on this 5wt rod I broke down and also bought a OBS

8. Richard E

Richard E Active Member

This is an interesting tidbit of info; how do you know this?

9. Richard E

Richard E Active Member

SciGuy speaks big medicine. If beach slope isn't a problem behind me, I prefer the regular OB. The little time I've used the Short, it just didn't call out to me. I also prefer the longer length of sinking head the regular has relative to what the Short offers.

10. golfman44

golfman44 5-Time Puget Sound Steelhead Guide of the Year

Rio has stated this multiple times. If you email them directly (as I did) you will/should get the exact same response. They openly admit that it is marketing only and that it actually works.

11. chrome/22

Good to know.

I was using my regular OB 6 off a watermaster yesterday while fishing Stillwater, it works fine as a spot & stalk shooting line. Even from the sitting position I was able to get my leader/fly & another 50' of line out to hit the nooks & crannys.

c/22

12. Richard E

Richard E Active Member

I did, too. The salt and freshwater lines are the same; the Tropical version, however, has a different core.

13. golfman44

golfman44 5-Time Puget Sound Steelhead Guide of the Year

Interesting. I was told different. Oh well