*Official 2011 pink salmon thread*

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by CLO, Mar 17, 2011.

1. TD

TD Active Member

I will never forget my partner asking me if I was sure what we were doing was ok as we were ducking through a hole cut in the fence and slipping behind the sign that read, "Trespassers will be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law". I didn't know what to say.

Some days we caught fish till our arms got sore and other days we couldn't buy a hook up. This is where I caught my first resident coho. I thought I hook a real fiesty Pink. Boy was I surprised to find a rather small coho when I brought it close and the dim light of my headlamp penetrated the tide water and glittered off its' silvery side.

One morning I caught cutthroat after cutthroat for the first 30 minutes or so. Then all went quiet for a short while until the Pinks came in and surrounded us. I was standing in less than knee deep water and had pinks rolling behind me, to the side, and right off my rod tip. Pretty fun.

I admit to leaving beaches with a little steam coming from my ears when the crowds showed up later in the run. Still those first 2 weeks before the masses caught on were some of the best days fishing I've had. It was great to sit on a log, crack open the thermos, and enjoy a hot cup of java in the early morning sun rays. We'd sit back and watch the park guys do their walk along the beach and the morning dog walkers would come strolling along. They always pretended to be amazed that we already had caught all the fish we wanted for the day.

2. Loren Jensen

Loren Jensen Active Member

sounds like a great time to me. i love going fishing or hunting and being done by an hour or two after daylight. go back into town and it's still dead. go get some breakfast and go on with your day, even returning in the evening for more fun. i love the outdoors. i'm addicted.

3. Bob Balder

Bob Balder Willing to learn anything...

THat is one "Ugly ass fish". Frankly, I don't think much of them in the smoker either. As far as adding to the conservation effort, I don't think so. Sanagging with treble hooks, elbowing you out of the way, leaving garbage behind etc.
    Been there , seen that, no thanks.

4. Go Fish

Go Fish Language, its a virus

That has been my
    stinky pinky experience.
    Hoards of mutant law
    breakers with no respect
    for anything. Yuck!

5. Jonathan Tachell

Jonathan Tachell Active Member

It's a pretty enjoyable experience fly fishing for pinks in the salt from a boat.

6. constructeur

constructeur Active Member

Agreed here, I didn't realize till I went to the dick nite website that it's a world record though! 14 something or other pounds.

Yeah, it's not a piece of badass BBQ silver or killer smoked king, but I think that starting off with something that's not so great and turning it into something awesome is a testament to ones abilities in the kitchen. It's also a great way to try a new smoke, brine, or other recipe, cause' if it doesn't work out it's just a pink.

Personally I dig the foraging thing a bit too, and also think back to years of yore' when we as a society didn't look down our noses at a free piece of protein and that puts it into perspective enough for me.

7. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Home Page:
    I've had no problem turning pinks in to a good meal. I'm especially proud of my famous pink tacos.

8. Jonathan Tachell

Jonathan Tachell Active Member

Ha Ha pink tacos! Thats awesome.

9. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Home Page:
    I really made them... a few times. I found it much more humorous than my wife.

10. dryflylarry

dryflylarry "Chasing Riseforms"

I'll trade you a pink salmon for one of your beers anyday, and, I haven't even tasted one of your famous brews!

11. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Home Page:
    I caught well over 200+ pink salmon in 2009... You can have a beer on the house!

12. Matthew Gulbranson

Matthew Gulbranson Resident Swinger

How about one or three of your brews while slaying untold numbers of pinks?! That sounds like a good day.

13. sportsman

sportsman Active Member

Please tell me some of those were off a boat..if not, do you use 4" or 4 1/4" mesh on your gill net??!! Some funny responses: everything from the easiest fish to catch to the illegals using the season as an exscuse to trash the beaches. I only fish for them at Picnic Point and while I limit out sometimes I get skunked more often. 2007 was better down there than 09, but I never see everybody slayin humpys down there. I have never had my neighbors in my cul de sac turn fish away, just the opposite! My next door neighbor who is Vietnamese and a cook/chef at Evergreen Hospital does something magical with them...hands down the best pinks I have ever had...including 1970-1988 on a limit seiner in SE AK...oh wait, we never ate those ragged out catfood slimy buggers when the menu was Sockeye, White Kings or {sorry about this one} Skeena River Steelhead. That loophole was closed in 1975 but the Steelhead would run with the Kings on down the coast.

14. Blake Harmon

Blake Harmon Active Member

Im gonna guess Evan def had some slow days for pinks. But the days when he was REALLY into them made up for it.

15. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Home Page:
    I have two secret beaches I get some out of in the salt, the rest came from my spot on a river. Took many, many trips, some topping 40+ fish. At one of my spots on the river, there was a guy fly fishin there almost every day I was there... Never saw him catch a single one when my buddy and I were topping double digits each. You just have to know what to target them with, and how to present it.