*Official 2011 pink salmon thread*

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by CLO, Mar 17, 2011.

1. constructeur

constructeur Active Member

[​IMG]

size 6, black mono eyes, Berlin wool, krystal flash. Should soak up just enough water to just stay within the surface film or top 4"'s incase i find em' actively feeding on top.

2. jwg

jwg Active Member

*Official 2011 pink salmon thread* Top or bottom?

fish flies near the top or near the bottom? Thats what I have been wondering.

From Steves fly collection, mostly weighted flies, and his text, the answer would be the bottom.

At Puget Sound Fly Shop in 2009 they sold me tube flies, not weighted. I fished them on an Airflow fast intermediate clear sinking line at a popular south sound beach. I caught fish, but thought I should have been doing better than I was.

From watching others, I saw that the two people catching the most fish looked like they were fishing floating lines. They were not casting out farther than others, just catching more fish more consistently. Another fellow was stripping very fast which would have kept his fly high.

In northern Vancouver Island in 2008, (their runs are on even years) every person I talked to had a different opinion, top or bottom.

I'd like to hear peoples experience and reasoning on this issue.

3. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Home Page:
    floating line, looooooooong leader, small weighted fly. strip strip pause.... strip strip pause.

pinks can't see down, only up and forward. And the pinks tend to be further up in the water column (or in shallow water). They will almost always hit your fly on the drop when you pause.

4. Rodney K. Pabst

Rodney K. Pabst Member

Pinks,

Some of the BEST times I had fishing POW Is. AK, was with my 6wt 9' Echo (So much more fun than fishing with my 8wt rods) running up and down the Harris river "trying" to land BIG PINKS. What a blast. Fresh from the sea, hitting almost everythng in my fly box. Looks to be another great year for Humpies.

5. Steve Saville

Steve Saville Active Member

*Official 2011 pink salmon thread* Top or bottom?

I think it depends on where you fish and what you are confident in. I've used floating and intermediate lines. I use weighted or unweighted flies, short and long leaders. I'm most confident with a 5-6 ft leader, intermediate line, and a special fly that I tie that has evolved over the years. I'm very confident in the set-up. Think about all of the pinks that gear guys catch on Buzz Bombs. Buzz Bombs do not stay on the surface. Most of the pinks I've caught are 2-3 feet under the surface and in less than 10 ft of water. The casts are 40-50 feet, sometimes farther but not usually. I like to get the fly down some, 2-3 feet. If I use a floater and an unweighted fly, it stays near the surface on the retrieve. If I sink it a bit and retrieve, it's 2-3 feet below or right smack in front of the fish. It's merely a matter of preference. Everybody has their own theory and I am not sure it really matters. When you have 2 million fish out there, it probably doesn't make a lot of difference.

6. constructeur

constructeur Active Member

jwg-

Still getting answers all over the place aren't you? That's because everyone is right..at one time or another. Use the google, read gear guide pages, or gear sites, and you'll find that people catch fish on everything all over the place. When the fish are heading into the sound I've noticed that gear guys will catch fish on these monster 12" long hoochie sucking a buzzbomb trolled behind a flasher set ups, sometimes as deep as 60.' On the other hand you see the fly I posted above, that looks like any 3/4" long pink Euphasid you'd find in Les' book, and that's going to slay too. The key is to have a bit of everything, meaning, weighted/unweighted, small/medium/large, flashy/subdued, and be willing to change up your approach if what you're doing isn't successful. After a couple of trips you'll find something that you personally are confident in, and you'll be able to dial in what you tie from there, and offer up your own line of bullshit when someone posts a question in the future. :0

7. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Home Page:
    I find that pinks, even with their huge numbers, can be some of the most frustratingly picky fish we have. You can and will catch them on just about anything, but being dialed in is the difference between a 3 fish day, and a 30 fish day.... the difference between one breaking away from the pack and the entire pack turning, and piling over each other trying to get at your fly.

It's all in what you want out of the day. I found a way that works great for me, and once I got it dialed in, anything less than 20 was a slow day. Prior to having that figured out, I was bringing in a half dozen or so. Neither is anything to be upset about.

8. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Nice, and vary this by adding some bead chain eyes and some solid barbell eyes. Now your one pattern covers down to 4", down to 12" and down to 24". Vary the line from a floater to a hover intermediate, fast intermediate or faster sinking line and you should find the right combo for where they are. I like the search.

9. Bob Jones

Bob Jones Still truckless now farther away

Last seen in Portland Or. via Tacoma,Puyallup, Wa.
    I went to two places to get epoxey and they were both out I'll have to try another time. I'll just tie somthing else for now, in pink of course. These pictures are from two years ago when my sister and I got such agood laugh at these guys. in one pic you can see the only clear water on the far side what a kick we got. This is the lower Puyallup below the Green bridge on levee.

10. Jazen

Jazen New Member

What time frame should I figure for fishing pinks in the rivers on the Olympic Peninsula?

11. Bob Triggs

Bob Triggs Stop Killing Wild Steelhead!

Home Page:
    Generally the Olympic Peninsula rivers do not host runs of Pink Salmon.

12. Mark Mandell

Mark Mandell New Member

I fish for pinks from a drifting boat along the Whidbey shoreline, sometimes well off the beach. Had much better success after I started using the heaviest nickel-plated brass coneheads (7/16), spray painting them pink, and tying a 2-inch body of hackle-wrapped, pink marabou and flash tail on a tube. I cast this fly with a 9-weight. It gets down quickly and the heavy head gives it a nice nose drop/tail wag on the slack pulse of the retrieve. It catches fish when blindcast. Also works when you see lone jumpers working their way tight along a shoreline. If you see one jumping there are probably 15 more swimming deeper under it. The heavy fly gets down to their level as they sweep by.

13. Dig Dug

Dig Dug New Member

Is it worth my time to target links south of the narrows? Im in oly and have a boat but would like to avoid running all the way to pt defiance if I can. Does the nisqually or any other deep south cricks see many pinks? Thanks!

14. Steve Saville

Steve Saville Active Member

There are no significant Pink runs south of the Narrows. The farthest south river with a run of any size is the Puyallup in Commencement Bay. Don't waste your time. You might pick up a straggler or one that got lost but it is doubtful at best.

15. Dig Dug

Dig Dug New Member

Thanks.