*Official 2011 pink salmon thread*

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by CLO, Mar 17, 2011.

1. Roger Stephens

Roger Stephens Active Member

Dig Dug:

There use to be a small run of pink salmon up the Nisqually River. Don't how many pink salmon have been returning in recent years. However it would probably be pretty futile to fish for them in the Nisqually Delta area.

Pink salmon usually spawn in the lower section of a river. The Nisqually River does have some good pink salmon spawning riffles several miles above tidal influence. The Nisqually and Puyallup Rivers are both glacial feed so maybe the Nisqually River will eventually someday see a rapid increase in pink salmon populations like the Puyallup River has in the recent past.

Roger

2. Speychucker

Speychucker New Member

Early estimates for the Fraser river in B.C. have the pink run this fall at 30 million fish.
    This is my favorite pattern for pinks once they enter the river.
    [​IMG]

3. Steve Saville

Steve Saville Active Member

That's very close to the fly I fish all the time but I have a maribou tail with the crystal flash and an epoxy body for durability.

4. dryflylarry

dryflylarry "Chasing Riseforms"

Oh heck! Think Coho! Jump on the coho swap. Two to four spots left!

5. Bob Triggs

Bob Triggs Stop Killing Wild Steelhead!

Home Page:
    One thing that I love about the Pink Run is that we catch them while we are Sea Run Coastal Cutthroat Trout flyfishing on the beaches. They take just about any trout fly we use here. That is fun on a five or six weight. Quite few people using switch rods now too.

6. jwg

jwg Active Member

Steve:

In the fly pictures you posted 4/24/2100, and also pictures in the 2009 fly swap, are all the bead head/tapered body/marabou tail flies tied with metal beads? Some are obviously copper, the red and pink beads are not as clear. Painted metal or plastic?

I am wondering if they are all weighted or you fish some weighted and some not.

Bead size?

I have some fluorescent pink thread. do you think fluorescent helps?

thanks for sharing your fly designs and fishing wisdom.

Jay

7. Steve Saville

Steve Saville Active Member

The fly is in its evolution. I started with a plastic bead and the thread body but the beads had to be drilled out and then filled with epoxy in order to get them around the bend of the hook and then to keep it from splitting once I started the tying process. I started using cooppper and gold beads because I don't have to epoxy them; less mess, quicker tie because I wind up giving a bunch away every summer. Four years ago, I started coating the threads with epoxy because after a hundred or so casts, the threads started to come undone. The fly continues to evolve as I have used maribou and crystal flash as the tail components but have also started using Baitfish Emulator for the tail. It's a synthetic and has the flash built in, hence the quicker tie with the metal bead. I vary the size of the bead from 3/32" to 5/32" and the hook size from 6 to 2. I also vary the hooks depending on what I have at the time but most often use the Gamakatsu SC-15 in size 2 or 4. I've even used Siwash gooks for colder weather so I don't have to fumble around trying to tie it on the tippet. The eye is wider and easier to work with. The fish don't seem to mind. In addition, I've tied it much larger for Alaska fish and in different color combinations. It works for me. The fly is always weighted with the bead and I fish an intermediate sinking line. It's different than you will hear from other guys but everyone has their own way of catching the fish. My smoker is ready to go but it's still two months away before the fish get here unless I want to drive all the way out to Neah Bay and that's unlikely.

8. ten80

ten80 Active Member

Try heating the eye of the hook (for straight eye) or bend of the hook (for up/down turn or larger eyed hooks) with a lighter, then the bead will melt/slide over the eye/bend and will stay in place once cooled. Takes 20 seconds and is a lot easier than drilling out the bead.

9. P.Dieter

P.Dieter Just Another Bubba

Home Page:
    I think I've gone with a different tie every run. I'm more of a fluttery flashy pinkie.
    this year I'm going with tubes for the beach with the thought that I can switch out hooks after banging my backcast on the rocks.
    I put some polar bear on most of my pink flies so that I can pretend they are special fish and warrant special materials.

[​IMG]

10. Brad Niemeyer

Brad Niemeyer Old School Member

Home Page:
  11. constructeur

constructeur Active Member

Brad- do you fish that Wiggler off of a sinktip w/ a short bit of tippet or?

12. Brad Niemeyer

Brad Niemeyer Old School Member

Home Page:
    I guess I'm the wiggler evangelist now....:ray1:

Best practice is 6 foot leader + small black barrel swivel +18" leader to prevent twisting. The wiggler is generally under-appreciated (and unproven for pinks). Bass smash it. The wiggler dives like a plug fished on a sinking line and can be pulled deep ( 8 feet?) before it slowly rises. In a river, no retrieve is really needed if you swing it. It wiggles! It wobbles! Nice distressed minnow action! It's just fun!

View attachment 41952 View attachment 41953

Any spey anglers out there want to test it for me?

13. stewart dee

stewart dee Guest

One of the best flies I have seen in a long time. SRC, Bass, Trout, Salmon etc.

14. bconrad

bconrad Active Member

I will test that for ya...killer fly, I wonder if I could skate it for steelhead? I bet that thing would flop around like crazy.

15. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Home Page:
    When I get bored of catching pinks every cast at my favorite river location, I'm determined to try to skate one up on a dry.