Oh no! I'm doing it all wrong!!

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Dipnet, Nov 1, 2013.

1. Don Freeman

Don Freeman Free Man

Safety first. The circle hook reduces snagging, and the tube fly makes it easy to get the hook out.

IMG_2554 012.jpg IMG_1039.JPG IMG_2554 012.jpg IMG_1039.JPG

Alexander likes this.
  2. DennisE

DennisE Topwater and tying.

Forceps aren't the best tool for Chum, IMO. I brought a set of extra long longnose pliers. Hook remover and bonker in one!
    IMGP0001.JPG

3. Nick Clayton

Nick Clayton Active Member

It sounds like you are on the right track. Chum can be incredibly finicky at times. This year I have had some truly savage takes, but have noticed them being extremely picky as well. Saturday Matt and I were fishing the same turd fly in the same 3 colors, only different order. For whatever reason they wanted a turd with a chartreuse tail, purple body, and cerise head. Matt had the colors in a different arrangement and they would barely touch it. When he switched up they were all over it.

The next day they wanted little to do with that fly, but were all about a size 8 all pink clouser. I'd say just keep changing it up until you find something that gets their attention.

JayB likes this.
  4. Jim Mcallister

Jim Mcallister AKA stillwater guy

Hey Don nice clouser style tube mind if I try it this weekend .I am planning on going to the canal.

5. Don Freeman

Don Freeman Free Man

Pink tubing is working too. eyes and wings are optional.

6. mtskibum16

mtskibum16 Active Member

This weekend I caught about 15ish chum, maybe a couple more. Of those 3 were foul hooked (dorsal fin). The rest were all hooked completely inside the mouth. This was also fishing in some VERY thick schools. The trick I have found is I rarely do a traditional hookset. Often when retrieving through a school you'll feel resistance which is normally the fly bouncing of chum. When I first started at this, I treated every bump as a bite and set the hook. This lead to many more foul hooked fish. After a while you can start to tell the difference between bumping fish and a true take. However, I basically just stopped setting the hook. I continue my slow retrieve until the a fish is on the line then start playing it. I never jerk the rod or do hard strip sets. I might miss a few light takes this way, but end up with fewer foul hooked fish.

As for getting them to take, like Nick said change up the fly until you find what works. Have lots of patterns to try. Once you feel that you have shown your fly to lots of fish with no success, tie something else on. If the fish are in big schools, I usually cast to them for about 15 minutes then switch until I start catching.

Eyejuggler and JayB like this.
  7. JayB

JayB Active Member

Cool - thanks to both of you guys for the tech tips. I can't wait to get out there and put them to use.

8. Jim Mcallister

Jim Mcallister AKA stillwater guy

thats what i have learned when moving afly into a large school of fish other wise i would always fowlhook one in the tail or dorsel.