Oh say can you spey?

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by Ed Call, Jul 31, 2008.

1. Porter

Porter Active Member

Mumbles get out to AATF :thumb:

I tried it and didn't care much for the spey thing...but maybe when I'm older...damn long rods and pissed off floppin large fish are hard to deal with :)

2. Banzai

Banzai FFing and VWs...Bugs & Bugs

Mumbles, if Saturday fits your schedule better, get in touch with Aaron Reimer at River Run Anglers in Carnation. He has a Saturday session starting at 0900 til noonish on the water as well. Great teacher, and a lot of other info as well. Helped me out a LOT. Now I'm hardly a risk to myself or others in the near vicinity... :). As a matter of fact, I could probably use a tune-up before I hit the rivers in earnest. Wanna carpool up? Other Kitsapers?

3. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Thanks everyone! I will get the rod next week and will try to get to the Carnation/Monroe events on a Satruday and/or Sunday so I can see just how deep I stepped in it this time. I'm really clueless to much of fly fishing and now I'm adding an entire new process. When we stop learning we stop fishing, so I guess this will keep me busy for a while. I'll likely be in touch with some of you to ask questions as I get rolling. I have to get some single handed fishing in on the beach too, so much to do, so little free time.

4. fredaevans

fredaevans Active Member

It's better than that. Mike is one of the few instructors who teach not only casting but actual fishing with a 2-hander. Spent a day at one of his classes down here on the Rogue and learned more about the fishing end than I thought I already knew.

5. Salmon Chaser

Salmon Chaser Wannabe Spey God

Watch your fly and anchor placement man,, you can do yourself some serious damage trying to bust a big cast with no idea where your anchor is or should be. Good luck and seriously man,, slow down and kepp that fly away:eek:
    Salmon Chaser

6. C-hawk

C-hawk New Member

Help! (Off topic.)

I am visiting the P-Sound area for three more weeks. I have registered on this website and would like to post. I can't seem to figure out how to make a new post. FAQ page said to click the "New Posts" button. Problem is I can't see that button on the forum screens.

C-hawk

7. Ed Call

NEW QUESTION: To get started using this 8/9 spey I need a line. How can I get a very basic line for learning at a very entry level price? I do have a single handed line in 8, 9, and 10 with interchangable tips. Could I modify that by adding a level running line behind that fly line to add some extra length? I don't intend for this to be the way I fish it, but just to get me started. I do have a level running line that I took off an old 8wt bass taper line that had damage to the tip end. I have an 10/11 reel that my local fly shop said would do to get started. I just did not want to buy a spey head system with a level line right out of the shop until I had a chance to get more information. If anyone has the TFO Deer Creek 8/9 13'6" or something pretty similar, what are you running, and would my idea of using the shorter single handed setup with the added running line benefit me to get up and rolling? Thanks.

8. Abel1

Abel1 New Member

Yes mumbles, you are on the right track. Keep it simple, Or spend lots and lots of money to put yourself picture perfect. Just pm me when you are ready to sell!

Good luck.

9. Ed Call

Simple I hope it will be. Pretty it will not be. I've heard there is something mystical about two handed casting. I've been told it can be extremely relaxing just to cast. I live a block from the beach and will likely go there just to put some line in the air and try not to knock myself out or run a hook through me to see how this works.

If it does not suit me, I'll use that long ass pole as a new fangled version of an old fangled cane pole and teach them how to fish for crappie or sunfish or something.

10. miyawaki

miyawaki Active Member

Hey Mumbles,

If you come to the shop this Saturday (see Events threads or your shrimp thread), we can also introduce you to the Rio AFS heads, Orvis .029 running line and Rio Versileaders. I use this setup for both winter and summer. Come check it out.

Leland.

11. Ed Call

Thanks for the info and invite in both thread locations Leland. I'll see what I can do about blocking off some time to get there. I hope to see you soon.

12. Abel1

Abel1 New Member

mumbles, there is nothing mystical or relaxing in fishing with a spey rod! It is a tool to catch fish... pm me when you are ready to sell.

Good luck.

13. Ed Call

Will do. Don't hold your breath though. You won't asphyxiate, you'll just pass out and start breathing normally again. You've got me excited though...I may have to go practice my night casting in the yard right now. Thanks for the energy boost and direction!:thumb:

14. Abel1

Abel1 New Member

mumbles? just breath! inhale? and now exhale!... see dont you feel just better....

15. Panhandle

Panhandle Active Member

Come on, dude. :rolleyes:

Certainly more mystical and relaxing than fishing for steelhead on 9.5ft 8wt all day.