Oh say can you spey?

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by Ed Call, Jul 31, 2008.

1. Abel1

Abel1 New Member

Pan, Fishing is fishing? One hand or two! It's all about fishing man. Keep it real. that is all I'm saying...

2. Abel1

Abel1 New Member

If all I need is a 9.5ft. 8wt. yah maybe I should pull out the old girl. She's a 896sp!
    I bet she has'nt foregottin how to fish? I better practice and maybe talk with the local shop, so as I know what to do....

3. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Abel1, or is it Mabel? You still talking? All I'm trying to do is pass the time and keep on learning. A little relaxation is always good. You should try it.

Just casted a glow ball out in the yard for about an hour. Very relaxing! No fish, but still relaxing.

4. SPEYBUM

SPEYBUM Member

Home Page:
    Mumbles,
    I have a lot of lines on the TryRack.
    I try to keep the most popular lines reel up so all you have to do is come out and try them.
    Or Take Leland up on his offer.
    Strike now before things get hot on these rivers.
    Come see me on Saturday on the River I will give you some pointers.
    :cool:

5. Kevin Giusti

Kevin Giusti New Member

Hey Mumbles. There are MANY types of spey lines now available. Scandi, skagit, short,mid and long bellies. A number of manufacturers now make lots of great spey lines in each type of category. I havent cast your rod but you will notice a grain window written on it. I believe yours is 550-800 grains. This will give you a ballpark of what you should be looking at, but again it depends on the individual. If you do a search in the spey section on this site or one on speypages for "deer creek" it should bring up a lot of info for you. Bob Meiser recently had a post "so what is a grain window" or something to that effect on speypages that is a must read.
    And as everyone has already said. take a weekend and make a point to go to the gathering that Mike Kinney attends weekly. After all he helped design the rod and Im sure he can steer you in the right direction on lines! Or better yet drop the coin on some one on one instruction with him. Not only is getting a proper rod/line combo that YOU are happy with important when beginning but getting proper instruction on how to use it correctly(especially from Mike Kinney!) is a wise investment that will save you alot of frustration,greatly acclerate your learning curve and in the long run will also save you LOTS OF MONEY ON LINES,RODS REELS MORE LINES MORE RODS ETC>>>>......
    Best of luck Mumbles . Oh yeah and that last part about MORE RODS MORE LINES ETC> well thats probably gonna happen anyway! Dont say I didnt warn you! Kevin

6. Ed Call

I'm just overwhelmed at all the great tips, suggestions, links, info and overall responses. Time to find that perfect camp site for the family that lets me hit Carnation on Saturday and Monroe on Sunday. Once I have the spey rod in hand I'll do just that so I can try to get started. No offense if as I'm learning that I move WAY AWAY from any other anglers so as not to make their first impression of Mubles one of a hook point or embeded barb. I'm not looking to do any damage, just trying to expand my knowledge base. Thanks to all again!

7. Bert Kinghorn

Bert Kinghorn Formerly "nextcast"

I strongly recomend that while you learn you just use a small piece of yarn instead of a fly, even with if the hook is broken off. Also, get in the habit of wearing eye protection from the very start, including when you are using yarn.

8. Sloan Craven

Sloan Craven Active Member

Shaquille O'Neal, Terrell Owens, Karl Malone, Geraldo Rivera, Charles de Gaulle, and Disco Stu would agree.

Seriously though, Mike Kinney will have you fishing with a spey rod in three days.

9. Kirk Singleton

Kirk Singleton Capt Kirk

Home Page:
    If Sat works better - Aarons group is a lot of fun.

10. FT

FT Active Member

Mumbles,

To answer your new question in the most succinct manner possible, you should not take a single hand line and try to modify it for use as a 2-handed spey line. Spey lines weigh a lot more than single-hand lines is the short reason why.

For example, an 8 wt single-hand line weighs about 210 grs at the AFTMA (American Fly Tackle Manufacturers Association, forerunner to the AAFTA) standard at the standard's 30' measuring point. However, according to the AFFTA (American Fly Fishing Tackle Association) a short-belly (55' belly) 8 wt spey line weighs 530 grs. Obviously this is a lot more grains of weight than an 8 wt single-hand line. And a mid-belly (65' belly) 8 wt spey line has a weight standard of 570 grs.

Like I said, the short answer to your question about modifying a single-hand line for use on a spey rod is don't do it unless you want to be very frustrated because it won't load the rod.

If you are fairly experienced in modifying lines and building custom tapers, you could use a single-hand line that is 3 to 5 line sizes higher than the 2-hander is rated for as a starting point and then modify it by adding line to it (i.e. an 11, 12, or 13 wt for the starting point); but since you don't know the kind of casting load you prefer and don't know how to spey cast yet, it could prove to be very expensive before you have a line that works for you through modifying single-hand lines. So, unless you have done a fair amount of line modification or custom line building, you are much better off simply biting the bullet and getting a spey line. It will save you countless headaches and frustration.

11. Ed Call

FT, Thanks for that advice. I tried my 9/10 single handed line in the backyard and found it unable to load the rod just like you said. I figured I'd try that for simplicity first to see if what I have in hand works, you've said it and yesterday I tested it and it did not. I could get out line, but no more than with a short single. I'll be testing some of the spey lines, hopefully this saturday and/or sunday and trying to find one that seems to feel good to me. I'm not into line modification, so getting one that is already made would be best. Thanks again FT, and to everyone else who has been most helpful shining some light on a subject that I know nearly nothing about. This could prove fun in the overall process, even if I find I'm a terrible caster (like with my single handers) but fun regardless

12. Abel1

Abel1 New Member

Name calling, come on now!.. If you mumbles, would rather hear somethng else, than by all means go for it. Nothing that I have posted in this thread is bullshit. Do you want to catch fish? or do you want to practice casting? If you want to cast mystically? then I have know idea what it is you are talking about.

Good luck.

13. constructeur

constructeur Active Member

:)

14. Ed Call

Just returning some ribbing, don't be so sensitive. After your challenge to just get out it was late and the best I could do was go cast outside. I'm trying to learn two handed just to improve my overall line management skills. Fishing is great, but I've been known to take a lunch break in a park and practice tossing yarn delicately to each tree within reach...Sorry if I hurt your feelings, but the mystical sensation is in many things. Ever hit a golf ball in the sweetspot only to watch it fly perfectly 300+ yards? Every hit a home run so sweet that you didn't even feel the impact of the bat and ball? I've stumbled across a few fly casts that just felt great, and they are few and far between. There is more to fishing than catching fish, catching fish is just a nice benefit.

15. Eric Tarcha

Eric Tarcha gear whore

dude, you are full of smart ass comments on every thread you post on, whether it be about steelhead or speycasting. instead of insulting, try providing something worth while to the conversation. cheers.

Mumbles, speycasting is fun. you will like it, and it can be a bit mystical when you get it just right. get a proper line setup (try a Rio AFS or maybe even a Skagit head), some instructions and have at it.