Oh...What do I wing this fly with???

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by Davy, Dec 6, 2004.

1. Davy

Davy Active Member

I tyed this body this morning while the wife was getting ready for work,but being one of those indecisive days--I can't decide what to wing it with.Traditional Mallard tent?,Royal Blue Goose?White goose?Kelson built wing? Blue Mallard?,Dee Style Turkey?I will collar it with Lt. blue Mallard and Purple guinea throat.I just can't decide on the wing- if you all will chime I in I will choose the winner and show the final result.Thank you

2. Tim Cottage

Tim Cottage Formerly tbc1415

Dark blue, light blue, lavender, purple and a little yellow, this is going to be a tuff one.
    This is part of the fun of tying steelhead and salmon flies. Design yourself into a corner and then see if you can get out of it without a total abortion on a hook.

A tented or Dee wing of distinctly barred Teal or Gadwall.
    Possibly dyed to relate to the tail and butt, but you can't go wrong with black and white.

Nice job so far. I like the fuzzy butt.
    Good luck
    TC

3. Davy

Davy Active Member

The butt is smme left over yellow seal I had laying around from some salmon flys I dressed awhile back.Hmm.Black and white built goose wing?that might work--I'm gonna go build one and lay it on and see.thanks

4. Bob Martin

Bob Martin Member

My vote is for the traditional mallard or maybe widgeon flank 'a la Syd Glasso. Your tying work reminds me of his.

5. Tim Cottage

Davy

Lest there be any doubt.
    The "abortion on a hook" comment relates strictly to my tying experiences only and is in no way intended to relate to yours. I look forward to seeing the completed fly.

TC

6. Davy

Davy Active Member

Ok well, since the tents are my favorite wing,well,it just looked better than white/black.I went with a yellow hackle underwing to tie the rear of the fly into the rest of it.Not quite what I thought I had pictured in my head at 5 AM this morning-but then as I said-not sure what I had pictured in the first place.Something about tents,I think Lady Caroline is my favorite fly of all time.

And I understood what you said Tim,I have torn my share of materials off hooks.Turn a 6/0 into a #2 LOL

Thanks for the ideas guys- and WOW,thanks for the compliment(Glasso) no way will I ever reach those standards of patience and attention to detail. The man that I owe all of what tying skills I may have knew and tyed with Syd.If Bob had his way I would still be ONLY tying body and tail structures I think(23 years later) LMAO

Here it is:

7. Jerry Daschofsky

Jerry Daschofsky Moderator Staff Member

Home Page:
    Looks great. Wish I had seen the post earlier, but missed it somehow. But looks great.

8. Davy

Davy Active Member

Now we need to name the thing.I was thinking of donating it to one of these get togethers the board has that I never go to but maybe one of you could take it.

9. Bob Martin

Bob Martin Member

How about an aristocratic sounding name like LAVENDER LADY?

10. Davy

Davy Active Member

Perfect!!!!!

11. Tim Cottage

Way to go.
    Just curious. In both photos the tag has a lot of glare and I can't tell if it is yellow floss or silver/gold tinsel that is picking up the yellow reflection from the tail and butt.

I still like the fuzzy butt.

TC

12. Davy

Davy Active Member

French Metal oval tag ,no floss, laziness I guess,hardly ever use floss in my tags anymore,unless tying specific dressings.Heres this mornings beginning,now am building outer wings,probably finish tomorrow