Ok beginner

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by Eric Denny, Oct 1, 2013.

1. Eric Denny

Eric Denny Summer is over but I'm still fishing!!

I tied stuff on a hook when I was a kid but didn't tie any real flys. And now I have decided I want to start so my question is should I get a starter kit with Materials or should I just get the start kits with only the tools and buy the stuff I want to tie the flys I want? Or would it be a good idea to look here and craigslist to try and find a start up set? Just want ppls input?

2. LD

LD Active Member

I would buy a decent vice and some basic tools. If you can find a box of tying materials cheap might be a good place to start. Spokane Fly Fishers have beginner and intermediate tying classes starting in January. They are a bargain and I would highly recommend them. There are some great tiers around here. Leroy Hyatt and Carolyn Sells have a show, The Anglers Art (?), put on by WSU. It is on Comcast 107 at 6:30 Saturday mornings. Spokane Fly Fishers have a library and they have a bunch of their videos you can check out, may need to be a member? I have a copy of Fly Tying made Clear and Simple you could have if you would like.

3. Eric Denny

That would be great if you think it would help also what is a descent vise? I have found some tool only kits on eBay but I don't know what a qulaty?

4. KevinLS

KevinLS Active Member

My first gear was a large starter kit from Cabelas 12 years ago. The vise is basic, but it has worked this whole time. And most of the other tools are still being used too. I realize the great many benefits of a quality vise to last a lifetime, but what I have works just fine for me and it's tied hundreds if not a thousand flies. I do recommend a quality ceramic bobbin though for sure! Used gear could work well too.

The kits tend to have materials to make a set of patterns they'll list on the kit w/ directions sometimes. Sometimes their materials aren't the best, sometimes they're fine, like a wooley bugger isn't real finicky on quality chenille. You could just grab the gear and get the materials yourself. Sometimes I've bought some feathers and only used for one fly, sometimes you buy something and it gets used on a ton of stuff e.g. krystal flash.

You may check out videos, a local class would be a great investment. I watch a lot of youtube also, it really helps one see the techniques used.

I know plenty of people who really recommend quality vise etc. so you should hear their two cents too.

If you like P.M. me and maybe we can trade some tying gear/tips for some local Spokane R or other knowledge. I'm still trying to 'master' the Spokane... ;)

5. Freestone

Freestone Not to be confused with freestoneangler

I would not buy anything until I had taken a class. In a good class, you will learn to differentiate good materials from total crap and not waste money on stuff you'll quickly want to throw away. Most of the tying materials in the kits are garbage, unless it is from a well-known brand like Umpqua, Orvis, etc. In a class, you'll also learn to start with a few basic patterns that allow you to learn a variety of techniques and materials. Then, you can buy the requisite material for them, rather than getting a kit that has stuff you won't use (maybe ever) and find yourself still having to buy materials for the patterns you are trying to learn. As for tools and vises, I have had 4-5 cheap vises over the years and lots of tools so if I did it again, I would have saved my money and bought a good vise and good tools. Good doesn't have to mean expensive and again, a good class will tell you want to look for and the pros/cons.

Wayne Jordan teaches classes in Spokane and you would be quite fortunate if you could find a class with him, either through the club or Silverbow. He is an awesome tyer and a great guy! He is on WFF occasionally so you might send him a PM.

Thom Collins and Blake Harmon like this.
  6. Tony Polizzi

Tony Polizzi Active Member

I have a vise and kit That was given to me by a board member that has been great for me. I recently upgraded my vise and would be happy to send you the kit for cost of postage with the understanding that when you upgrade or don't need it pass it on to an interested fly tier.PM me your address.

7. LD

LD Active Member

Second on Wayne Jordan, great guy and very knowledgeable.

Blake Harmon likes this.
  8. garretcarden

garretcarden New Member

Stop by swedes, the shop was basically meant for fly tyers. I'm sure they would send you in the right direction for materials and tools.

Eric Denny likes this.
  9. Blake Harmon

Blake Harmon Active Member

Id go see wayne....... Tiger musky.jpeg

Mike Ediger and Freestone like this.
  10. Daryle Holmstrom

Daryle Holmstrom retiredfishak

Anyone use the search function? Been covered time after time :)

11. Eric Denny

What should I look under?

12. Daryle Holmstrom

Daryle Holmstrom retiredfishak

Kits or A vice

13. Mike Ediger

Mike Ediger Active Member

How can he go see someone who is part of the witness relocation program?!?!?

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk - now Free

14. Teenage Entomologist

Teenage Entomologist Gotta love the pteronarcys.

I'm 14, but i've been tying for about a year now, and I've gotten really good. I started out with San Juan Worms, then worked my way up to realisic Golden Stones, and in a week or two, Leech Patterns. I bought The Fly Shop's( in Northern California) Basic Fly Tying Kit. It's $75.00, but its a great deal. I'm still using the tools from the Kit. Now I just get recipes, buy the supplies, tie a couple dozen, and then sell them. I'm glad I hate technology.

Eric Denny likes this.