Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

OK County Lakes Report

704 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  BDD 
#1 ·
I fished 5 new lakes last week trying to explore as much as possible.

Thursday I spent a few hours on Sidley. The surrounding area was pretty cool even with the few homes around the lake. I marked very few fish on the finder but did see a few in the shallows and only had one grab.

From there I went to Fancher. Again, only fished it a couple hours. After catching only a few small trout I was getting antsy to move on and then I caught a perch, which immediately caused me to pack up and leave.

I had trouble making up my mind whether to go to Lost Lake or Summit Lake. It was getting late in the day, only had half a tank of gas, and I wasn't sure about the road to Lost being open so I did the sure thing going to Summit but I'd like to hit Lost at another time.

Summit is a very nice, serene lake. Never landed a fish but there were a few small (4 inch) rising to midges in the shallows. I had a couple of grabs but didn't hook up. Perhaps it was from the smaller fish? I was a little disappointed by the lack of action but it was a really pleasant place to fish. I stayed there much longer than I normally would, even while going fishless.

So even though fishing was pretty tough for me, I'd go back to Sidley and Summit again under different circumstances if nothing else than the fact that Sidley has a pretty good reputation as a trout lake.

On Saturday I fished two lakes that I won't mention because of their size. Not that they were that special but it wouldn't take much additional pressure to affect these lakes. The first lake fished very well for FAT rainbows to 15 inches. This lake was bone dry three years ago but has since filled and been stocked with trout. The second lake provided good action on smaller bows. I saw three year classes here (4, 8, and 14 inches) with the 8 inch fish making 99% of the catch. Unlike the first lake, they were relatively skinny. While arriving at the second lake fish were popping like crazy and I thought I'd be in for some great dry fly action. But after fishing three different patterns without a hard stare, I switched to a HE nymph and caught fish. I believe they were taking mayfly duns/spinners because I didn't see any adults on the surface but they were rising to take flying bugs just above the surface.

The weather was great, the crowds were down and its always fun exploring new lakes. Get out there and fish!

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.