Ok this is cheap but I gotta.....

Discussion in 'Warm Water Species' started by NewFlyerAndy, May 29, 2010.

1. Be Jofus G

Be Jofus G Banned or Parked

Hahahahah, awesome Gary. School em. :thumb: Up the stakes a bit and show up with a $5.00 poke pole and some leader/flyline wrapped around your hand. :cool:

2. trout man

trout man New Member

same thing happened the other dqay to me too some guys was bragging about his $20 cranks and i out fished with a spinnerbait that was 94 cents at bass pro

3. Gary Thompson

Gary Thompson dirty dog

WTF? cranks? spinner baits? bass pro?
    Funny shit there trout man.
    I'm gonna up the steaks by fishing with a willow stick and cotton thread with a piece of red cotton cloth tied to a bare hook.
    Back to the basics.

4. KerryS

KerryS Ignored Member

Threads like this are entertaining and I can understand why some get upset but I have yet to run into all these arrogant fly fishermen everyone keeps talking about. At least none that I can remember. I have run into guys with $30,000 sleds and the best gear out there all the way down to the guy with the $500.00 drift boat and what gear he could get off ebay. All have been friendly and most are willing to sit and talk about fishing or whatever. I have run into a few gear guys that seem to have something against fly fishermen and perhaps some fly guys that feel the same about gear guys but over the past 10 years or so that division seems to be going away.\

5. NewFlyerAndy

NewFlyerAndy Guest

Hey Gary - read the post -- I got 3 rods and reels and all the lines for $300.00.......so remember I'm the one pissed at the gear hounds too...lol and Scott you just be quiet you.....

6. Gary Thompson

Gary Thompson dirty dog

No worries Andy, just fun'in ya.
    Three rods, reels, and line for $300.00, your my kinda guy, the last of the big spenders.
    We still need to go fish, just for the fun of it.

7. NewFlyerAndy

NewFlyerAndy Guest

your damn well right we do...I could use some schoolin...:)

8. Jay Burman

Jay Burman Fly Fisher, Bon Vivant, Layabout.

That guy was a jerk to critisize your tackle. Buying pricey gear is fun but it has little to do with one's level of skill or success. I think the most expensive gear is only marginally better at best than more modest gear, in fact some of the inexpensive gear coming on the market lately looks pretty good. You can spend 4-5 times as much for top a quality rod that's maybe only10% better.

9. Lenkerr

Lenkerr Aimless Wanderer

I always revert back to my Harley days, we had a saying...."Chrome don't git ya home". I bought a 5/6 9' rod from an old guy on Ebay that makes them because he can't fish anymore. I paid less than $80.00 for this rod and have tossed flies with a Sage of the same size side by side and actually like the old guys rod better. It's all personal preference and size of your wallet. Personally I would rather save a few hundred bucks on gear and float the Yak a few more times a year. :)

10. Brookie_Hunter

Brookie_Hunter aka Dave Hoover

I try to fish where I'm not going to run into anyone so I've never had a similar encounter. Actually, most of the few people I've stumbled across while fishing have been very friendly. I personally enjoy seeing what gear everyone is fishing. But I'm not sure what I'd say if someone needlessly dressed me down for fishing my Eagle Claw Featherlight rod with Martin 62 Tuna Can reel but I'm sure I'd be over it pretty quickly.

11. Be Jofus G

Be Jofus G Banned or Parked

Damn, just funnin. :rofl: I was getting excited about building a boo poke pole for a po boy fishoff. Maybe I'll build one for the hell of it anyway. Hopefully I can wrestle a bamboo bean stake away from someone at the home depot.

12. Gary Thompson

Gary Thompson dirty dog

Be Jofus G, if we do a po boy fishoff, ya got to use native materials. No boo poke poles.
    We got ta injun down on our bad selfs
    When I was a young lad I would go hunting with my Dad in the Quarts Mt area of Eastern Oregon.
    There was a little stream that ran by camp. I would cut a willow and string it up with some mono and a #12 worm hook, catch a few hoppers and had at it.
    I hunted there for years and never took any real gear to fish with. There were some nice size trout in the beaver ponds.
    I never killed any of those fish, it just didn't seem right. My first time doing the C&R thing.

13. Andrew Pope

Andrew Pope Dodging tailing loops!

"If you're a broke fisherman, but you can see the beauty in everything, well then you've got a pretty good life.."