Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Okanagan grouse hunter killed

5K views 38 replies 16 participants last post by  ImperialStoutRunsThruMe 
#1 ·
#7 ·
That is a sad story regardless of how it unfolded. If it does turn out to be related to a drug operation, I'm thinking we consider bringing back the old town hunt...meet up for coffee and d-nuts, then form a line and start covering some turf. In addition to the standard hardware, backpacks full of Weed-B-Gone ;).

#10 ·
Regardless of your feelings on the subject, I just do not believe that the Mary Jane law that the voters passed will have a good outcome, and that we will ever see any of that TAX money go toward education. JMO.

#11 ·
Regardless of your feelings on the subject, I just do not believe that the Mary Jane law that the voters passed will have a good outcome, and that we will ever see any of that TAX money go toward education. JMO.
Not to hijack my own thread, but...

Part of the outcome is that dealers are already leaving WA for states like NY because the street value of weed has plummeted since medical marijuana came on-line. When recreational weed is available for distribution it will put the nail in that coffin. The profit incentive just isn't there any more.

The weed that is grown in the large outdoor grows is often exported. That won't likely be impacted. WA is an ideal place to grow it because we have so much rural land. However it wouldn't be sold to WA locals - because most of our weed is grown hydroponically in very controlled settings by very smart people who know how to cultivate the best bud.

#12 ·
Since the thread owner open the crack, I agree with OB. Just yesterday morning, I'm listening to a state tax paid for advertisement/campaign to get control on the escalating drug use problems. So on the one hand we allow use of drugs by legalizing m-jane and on the other we spend tax money (and lots of it I suspect) dealing with its consequence. You simply cannot make this shit up.... utterly ridiculous.

And even if the dealers are moving out (and I'd love to see the facts that back that up), that does not mean the growers will too.

#13 ·
So on the one hand we allow use of drugs by legalizing m-jane and on the other we spend tax money (and lots of it I suspect) dealing with its consequence. You simply cannot make this shit up.... utterly ridiculous.
Oh, my, where to even start with a steaming pile like this one? Well, let's start with the "consequences" of MJ. And what are they, exactly? 2nd, we already have lots of legal drugs. Walk up and down the isle of any pharmacy. And when you're done, go check out the alcohol section of any store. And don't forget to pick up some chew or some smokes on the way out the door. MJ is one of the least harmful drugs out there, far less harmful than a great many number of drugs already available. But somehow, people can't get it through their thick skulls that there is a difference between MJ and, say, herion or meth. You know, drugs that have actual societal consequences.

#18 ·
TKWW-give me a fucking break. First I'm taking some real umbrage to your land of the free comment. I, and my brothers, put our asses on the line almost 450 combat days in two tours so you're allowed to spew that shit. I left a lot of my brothers on that fucking wall, and I NEVER saw any heroin use there, either. You did? You were there? Or are you just going by what some shithead told you was "going on". Dope didn't get the draftees in trouble, it got them dead. I don't give a rat's ass if they "started" with breast milk. The point is, that they got into drugs with weed. And its still illegal in every country on the planet; some just turn a blind eye to it.

As far as who gets to come on my property, I'm glad you "support" my right to say who, but be clear: I don't "stipulate", I enforce. And my targeting envelope opens at around a thousand meters, maybe a little more depending on how conditions influence 180 grains of Hornaday SST BTHP match at 3200fps.

#22 ·
TKWW-give me a fucking break. First I'm taking some real umbrage to your land of the free comment. I, and my brothers, put our asses on the line almost 450 combat days in two tours so you're allowed to spew that shit.
And what "shit" would that be? That we aren't really free?

This is about a modern-day prohibition that has cost us trillions of dollars, done nothing to reduce drug use, spread crime, gangs and violence throughout our country--not to mention that 10s of thousands dead in other countries. For what? What have we accomplished with this prohibition? Violence, gangs, big government, and and unkown/undiscernible impact on the actual availability and usage.

I left a lot of my brothers on that fucking wall, and I NEVER saw any heroin use there, either. You did? You were there? Or are you just going by what some shithead told you was "going on". Dope didn't get the draftees in trouble, it got them dead.
Because they were high in a war zone, high while fighting? Dulling your senses with anything when you life is on the line is really bad idea. But that's not marijuana's fault. No more so than it is alcohol's fault when someone gets into a car and drives drunk. And, to the point, there's no correlation to what happened in a jungle 40 years ago and what is going on in someone's living room today. I'm sorry, but there isn't.

I don't give a rat's ass if they "started" with breast milk. The point is, that they got into drugs with weed.
You know, for a fact, that it didn't start with alcohol or tobacco? Or pain killers? Or what they saw on TV? Or read in a book? Or how they were raised? Here's the thing: every currently-employed LEO on the planet will always say that because their jobs depend on it. If we removed the prohibition we'd be talking about a gov't spending cut that suddenly seems to aggravate the very people who claim to love small gov't.

And its still illegal in every country on the planet; some just turn a blind eye to it.
Many of the countries that turn a blind eye have much less crime than we do. (And yes, they also have a lot of other differences--I'm not saying it's a direct correlation.) But if we keep up with this line of thinking, let's not forget that alcohol is illegal in a great many countries. Shouldn't we follow suit?

As far as who gets to come on my property, I'm glad you "support" my right to say who, but be clear: I don't "stipulate", I enforce. And my targeting envelope opens at around a thousand meters, maybe a little more depending on how conditions influence 180 grains of Hornaday SST BTHP match at 3200fps.
Ah, yes. When it doubt, lets' talk about killing people. 'Cause that's the way to a better future. But just so we're clear: do you shoot anyone who comes onto your property, +/- half a mile, or only those who you can see--through the crosshairs, I assume--are toking?

#21 ·
A lot of money will be spent on educating people in regards to weed. Same goes for alcohol and tobacco. If you haven't been hearing about the increased DUI emphasis patrols and the "Suck It" tobacco campaign you haven't been paying attention.
I'm just glad I don't live in a state that still feels it needs to throw someone in jail for having a couple of doobies in their pocket. Imprisoning someone for such a minor offense is a major waste of resources in my opinion.

Very sad deal about the hunter.
SF

G
#24 ·
Oh, the "problem users." And how do you define those? Now we're starting to get to the fun part.
I'd start with the mother fucker whom killed my sister in a car wreck because he was driveing stoned. Are we at the fun part yet, talk this shit around me and I'll show you some fucking fun!!!!

#25 ·
"Ah, yes. When it doubt, lets' talk about killing people. 'Cause that's the way to a better future. But just so we're clear: do you shoot anyone who comes onto your property, +/- half a mile, or only those who you can see--through the crosshairs, I assume--are toking?"

I never killed anybody who didn't need it. But a half-mile? Not with a .338 Lapua Mag; try a mile and a half.
For the rest of this bullshit, just light up another joint, sit back and pretend you're on another planet. I don't need to waste more time with your ideas.

#28 ·
I never killed anybody who didn't need it. But a half-mile? Not with a .338 Lapua Mag; try a mile and a half.
For the rest of this bullshit, just light up another joint, sit back and pretend you're on another planet. I don't need to waste more time with your ideas.
Just have another drink, Alex. Sounds like that's what makes you happy.

#26 ·
It's so sad to hear about any needless deaths. What's also very sad is the blind eye turned to alcohol and tobacco related problems, it seems that weed gets all the hype.
From the CDC
"Every day, almost 30 people in the United States die in motor vehicle crashes that involve an alcohol-impaired driver. This amounts to one death every 48 minutes.1 The annual cost of alcohol-related crashes totals more than $51 billion" "
How big is the problem?
  • In 2010, 10,228 people were killed in alcohol-impaired driving crashes, accounting for nearly one-third (31%) of all traffic-related deaths in the United States.1
  • Of the 1,210 traffic deaths among children ages 0 to 14 years in 2010, 211 (17%) involved an alcohol-impaired driver.1
  • Of the 211 child passengers ages 14 and younger who died in alcohol-impaired driving crashes in 2010, over half (131) were riding in the vehicle with the alcohol-impaired driver.1
  • In 2010, over 1.4 million drivers were arrested for driving under the influence of alcohol or narcotics.3 That's one percent of the 112 million self-reported episodes of alcohol-impaired driving among U.S. adults each year.4
Drugs other than alcohol (e.g., marijuana and cocaine) are involved in about 18% of motor vehicle driver deaths. These other drugs are often used in combination with alcohol.
  • Cigarette smoking is responsible for about one in five deaths annually (i.e., more than 440,000 deaths per year, and an estimated 49,000 of these smoking-related deaths are the result of secondhand smoke exposure).
  • In 2000-2004, cigarette smoking cost more than $193 billion (i.e., $97 billion in lost productivity plus $96 billion in health care expenditures).
In 2013, states will collect $25.7 billion from tobacco taxes and legal settlements, but states will spend only 1.8% of the $25.7 billion on prevention and cessation programs.
http://www.cdc.gov/motorvehiclesafety/impaired_driving/impaired-drv_factsheet.html
http://www.cdc.gov/tobacco/data_statistics/fact_sheets/fast_facts/

My guess is most of the people against any changes in the law don't smoke mj but may drink or smoke cigaretes or cigars. Based on the facts from the CDC it is obvious that all of these are major problems in society and should be addressed.

#29 ·
It's so sad to hear about any needless deaths. What's also very sad is the blind eye turned to alcohol and tobacco related problems, it seems that weed gets all the hype.
From the CDC
"Every day, almost 30 people in the United States die in motor vehicle crashes that involve an alcohol-impaired driver. This amounts to one death every 48 minutes.1 The annual cost of alcohol-related crashes totals more than $51 billion" "
How big is the problem?
  • In 2010, 10,228 people were killed in alcohol-impaired driving crashes, accounting for nearly one-third (31%) of all traffic-related deaths in the United States.1
  • Of the 1,210 traffic deaths among children ages 0 to 14 years in 2010, 211 (17%) involved an alcohol-impaired driver.1
  • Of the 211 child passengers ages 14 and younger who died in alcohol-impaired driving crashes in 2010, over half (131) were riding in the vehicle with the alcohol-impaired driver.1
  • In 2010, over 1.4 million drivers were arrested for driving under the influence of alcohol or narcotics.3 That's one percent of the 112 million self-reported episodes of alcohol-impaired driving among U.S. adults each year.4
Drugs other than alcohol (e.g., marijuana and cocaine) are involved in about 18% of motor vehicle driver deaths. These other drugs are often used in combination with alcohol.
  • Cigarette smoking is responsible for about one in five deaths annually (i.e., more than 440,000 deaths per year, and an estimated 49,000 of these smoking-related deaths are the result of secondhand smoke exposure).
  • In 2000-2004, cigarette smoking cost more than $193 billion (i.e., $97 billion in lost productivity plus $96 billion in health care expenditures).
In 2013, states will collect $25.7 billion from tobacco taxes and legal settlements, but states will spend only 1.8% of the $25.7 billion on prevention and cessation programs.
http://www.cdc.gov/motorvehiclesafety/impaired_driving/impaired-drv_factsheet.html
http://www.cdc.gov/tobacco/data_statistics/fact_sheets/fast_facts/

My guess is most of the people against any changes in the law don't smoke mj but may drink or smoke cigaretes or cigars. Based on the facts from the CDC it is obvious that all of these are major problems in society and should be addressed.
Cigarette smoking, unlike marijuana, does not impair ones ability to drive. No argument that alcohol does and drunk driving is a problem...but adding additional drugs to the menu seems like doubling down on the problem to me. And, your links simply prove my point that we are full of hypocrisy. The dirty little secret is that the states coffers love the tax money brought in from people smoking and drinking...they will never kill the goose that lays golden eggs.

If the US is hell bent on being the first to the bottom, we might as well legalize all drugs and let the government collect taxes on them. Heck, it may just be the answer to our budget deficits. And in keeping with what seems to be the new program, none of us should have any problem picking up the trash someone else made of their lives from stupid, irresponsible decisions. :rolleyes:

#30 ·
Ahh.. the myths and misconceptions harbored by the Baby Boomer generation about weed. And on point, the grouse hunter being shot had nothing to do with pot.

Reactions: tkww
#35 ·
This is what I think happened.
Some nice guys from out of the area end up trying to shoot a grouse on someones private property and the person who owns that property shoots the shooting trespasser.
Very sad.
There are a lot of hillbillys living in the back woods of Okanogan Co.
I know cause I lived in Okanogan Co. and the first fall when Grouse season opened and hunters from who knows where came through my property shooting.
I felt my life was endangered, but I didn't gun anyone down.
So as much as I don't like "No, No" signs I posted my property and when the next season rolled around I didn't have hunters shooting on my property.
Here is another story about a hunter getting shot on his own property while turkey hunting.
The hunter/property owner was setting with his decoy facing his driveway (private drive for two miles, posted).
Some road hunters drove up his drive and seeing the decoy jump out of their truck and shoot the decoy and the hunter at the same time.
Trespassers shooting the land owner, now we have land owners shooting and killing trespassers?
Sad, very sad.
As for legal pot, sad also, cause it's still not really legal just more confusing that ever.

#37 ·
This is what I think happened.
Some nice guys from out of the area end up trying to shoot a grouse on someones private property and the person who owns that property shoots the shooting trespasser.
Very sad.
There are a lot of hillbillys living in the back woods of Okanogan Co.
I know cause I lived in Okanogan Co. and the first fall when Grouse season opened and hunters from who knows where came through my property shooting.
I felt my life was endangered, but I didn't gun anyone down.........

There are more than hillbillys living in that area. What a witch's brew of weird people.

When I was working I got a complaint about the "quality" of camper in the Forest Service campgrounds in that area. So I spent Memorial Day weekend, 2001 camped in a campground without a uniform but with a radio.

What a crew of locals, transients and campers!! The only thing they had in common was they were all mad at the world. And they figured that the Okanogan Highlands was were they could get away from it. Got to meet the locals at the day use sites. I guess that some of them forgot to read the "National" in front of the Forest and thought they owned the property.

Talked to one crew from Auburn that have been chased out of every campground between Auburn and Tonasket so they showed so they could "party and do drugs in without being harassed". Our campground host witnessed a shooting in the campground the previous summer. Not really the type of folks we want in public campgrounds.

Talking to the campground host the area had lots of people that were just moving through the area. For some reason, lots of folks think that there is no LAW or RULES once you are east of the divide. Lots of those folks end up moving to Okanogan County for all the wrong reasons.

We ended up upping the law enforcement presence, but I am sure that that's gone by the boards. I am not sure that there are enough people to patrol the woods anymore. Having met some of the "public" out there, be careful and it does not matter if your carrying a gun as this incident illustrates.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.