Okanogan high lake surprise...

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by Roper, Oct 20, 2013.

1. Roper

Roper Idiot Savant

Birthdays are meant to be full of surprises and this year was no exception. There is a high lake, a small one, not far from our place above Oroville. It's a stubborn little lake that does not give up it's treasures very easily. Scott can attest to this. I've managed to steal one or two of it's gems over the years. I was hoping this visit would be a good one.

The road in is primitive and in places very narrow and steep.

[​IMG]

The wind decided to follow me to the lake, but it made beautiful diamond like reflections in the low autumn sunlight.

[​IMG]

I fished for quite a while with no luck and was beginning to think it might be a skunk day when one of the brookies in this lake took the offering. Though only about a foot long the fish was full of fight and as you can see, broad shouldered.

[​IMG]

The "bite" was on as I soon caught several more, some to hand, others just a tug or LDR'd. All of a sudden I spotted a shape in the water to my left. It looked like a stick bobbing in the water. I thought it must be one of the reeds that line the shore. Then I noticed it was moving...WTF? Like a moth to the flame I finned my way over to it. JEZZUS-FRICKIN-CHRISTMAS...it's a goddam snake!

[​IMG]

Now mind you, the temps when I parked above the lake were in the lower 30's. The water was really cold! This damned snake was in the middle of the frickin' lake and full of energy. How in hell was this possible? Snakes are cold blooded and it had to have been in the water for some time to be in the middle of the lake because it didn't swim very fast. Like an idiot I netted the damned thing and it had plenty of energy left, it came right up out of the net headed for me! Back in the water you crazy snake! After hanging around for a few minutes it finally headed away from me, thank goodness. That sure creeped me out...

After my strange encounter with the snake the bite dropped off and I reserved myself to taking in the beauty of the area.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

All in all it was a beautiful trip to this little high lake, quite the birthday treat. My wife and I hit the PastTime bar and grill in town for dinner that night. Buffalo burgers, house fries, and a pint of Irish Death, a great way to finish the day.

2. Mark Walker

Mark Walker Active Member

Outstanding, Roper.
    Snakes in the water creep me out too.

Brookie_Hunter likes this.
  3. skyrise

skyrise Active Member

nice spot.
    how is the hunting up there ?

4. Gregg Lundgren

Gregg Lundgren Now fishing on weekdays too!

Nice Roper, a two report morning! Great stuff! Thanks for bringing us there with you.

5. Roper

Roper Idiot Savant

What type of hunting are you asking about? Big game? Birds?

6. IveofIone

IveofIone Active Member

That's a deep bodied brookie Rick. Those things are eating well and look like they've been there awhile. The snake doesn't appear to have missed many meals either.

Ive

7. Scott Salzer

Scott Salzer previously micro brew

Damn you, Rick. What a great story and nice pictures. Love that spot. I have lost some BIG fish there and have yet to bring a big one to the net. I will get on one of these days, the stuff dreams are made of. Remember the bear on the hillside a few years back? And you asked the snake to stay there while you took a picture?

Glad you had a good birthday week in spite of the orange hatch. We were in Winthrop - so we saw it too.

8. Topstoy

Topstoy In search of Trout

Nice adventure! I can't believe the snake was out and about. It's too dang cold for them... Nice looking Brooky.

9. triploidjunkie

triploidjunkie Active Member

Nice report! That was a water snake. Common to the area and harmless. They seem quite comfortable in the water in the spring and summer. I can attest that snakes are still out and about. I nearly stepped on a rattler fishing on Saturday, and two rattlers were found inside the local high school. One on Thursday, and one on Friday. The heavy machinery next door, where the construction of the new high school is underway, likely flushed them out.

10. Golden Trout

Golden Trout Active Member

Hellstrom Chronicles

11. skyrise

skyrise Active Member

Bird hunting. thanks.

12. mtskibum16

mtskibum16 Active Member

Awesome little brookie!