Okuma VS PFlueger ~ Showdown at Steelhead Ranch: the poll.

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by mr trout, Dec 14, 2005.

1. Monk

Monk Redneck

Medalist bro. I melted my okuma 6 wt. reel on a summer run... and I mean melted. I have a medalist that has been fished at least 100 times a year for 20 years in my posession. I use it on my nyphing rod and haven't even thought about "upgrading"

2. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Your not old enough to have fished with it for 20 years. :p :p :p

Jim

3. Monk

Monk Redneck

It was my old bosses reel. I got it after me first year in AK. :p I started fishing that long ago anyways. I just couldn't throw an 8wt. sink-tip just then. ;)

4. Drag-Free Drift

Drag-Free Drift Member

I have owned three U.S. made Pfleugers (1492, 1495, and 1495 1/2) for close to 35 years, during which time they've flawlessly handled thousands of fish, including salmon and steelhead (on the two larger models, of course). A couple of years ago, on a whim, I bought a 7/8 Okuma Infinity which locked up on its third chum. Okuma was good about repairing it, but I've never quite trusted the reel since then. I do own a couple of the smaller Okuma Sierras (4/5 wt and 5/6 wt) and consider them to be elegantly simple, attractive, and, apparently, quite well made. They are an excellent value for the money. Time will tell whether they can hold up as well as the Pfluegers.

Oh, one last thought. I very much like the stainless steel line guide on the Pfleugers. I believe it helps lines last longer. You don't find this feature much on the more modern reels.

5. Drag-Free Drift

Drag-Free Drift Member

It was an Okuma Integrity that locked up on me, not Infinity. I must have had cars or something on my subconscious. Sorry.

6. Zen Piscator

Zen Piscator Supporting wild steelhead, gravel to gravel.

Home Page:
    I broke the handle off an okuma intergrity, then about 2 days later the reel footing from a fall. I have never had any problems with pfelugar reels, great stuff.

7. FLGator

FLGator Member

Where do you find a US made Pfluger? Aren't they made in China now?
    Chris

8. Porter

Porter Active Member

Rod angle...good point chadk. Angling the rod is very effective especially with larger fish..and actually a topic that doesn't come up to much...or I missed them all. on a side note I don't know much about those two reels....I guess I'm more into machined fashion....although I still have an old berkely 108 fly reel that is or seems to be indestructible...but has a lot of mileage marks on it. I guess if it wasn't for the white-cream pearl handle that some of the Pfluegers come with...just look out of place to me. It's like a bamboo rod with a nice machined aluminum reel seat..just don't go IMHO....but then I'm not as old as Pflueger and Shakespeare. Thou shall not judge thee.

9. papafsh

papafsh Piscatorial predilection

Home Page:
    Well Trevor, there ya' go....like the old saying goes......'Opinions are like A**holes, everybody has one and they all stink!"
    Some like this reel...some don't...some like new...some like old, and no specific brand can be completely perfect.
    The thing is you have to find what works for you, then go with that. All the reels that have been touted here, work, so the decision is yours to make based on your budget and the features you want.
    Good luck with the choice you make, I hope you find a reel that will fill the bill, and give you years of good reliable service.

LB

10. mr trout

mr trout Trevor Hutton

Well said. I think I may try the medalist with the Rim Control. I have needed to use the rim control for certain fish before, and I cant see any reason why I wouldnt want it as an option. Thanks for the input. I have always wanted to give pfluegers a try but never really knew much about them. I am always amazed at what I learn here - Thanks!

11. alpinemike

alpinemike New Member

Ha hahaha! Good call Chris. And while we're at it make sure your Lamiglass is american too! My buddy was bragging about his "american Lami" til i pointed out the made in china sticker. outch! He spent a pretty penny for that rod too. He looked pretty disapointed. These days i buy for price and quallity. My Okumas seem to work well, feel nice, look nice and the price is nice too. It might be hard to find any reel that would withstand a whole person falling directly on it. So i try to be nice to all of my gear.

12. Bob Triggs

Bob Triggs Stop Killing Wild Steelhead!

Home Page:
    Okuma: Inexpensive but cheap. :rofl:

13. papafsh

papafsh Piscatorial predilection

Home Page:

Other than Okuma: Over priced, but no better. :p

LB

14. Porter

Porter Active Member

FFFFHHHHHHHHSSTTT! PPPPLLLEEASSSEEEE! Okuma vs. Ross...Cooney vs. Ali ...if $$ not a concern ...9 out of ten would grab the Ross over Okuma....IMHO

15. dryfly09

dryfly09 Presentation With Distance

I think if you are going to buy either of the two reels you should give the okuma a try I think that you will be surprised at what you will get for your money.