Old Man Forum.

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Old Man, Apr 3, 2012.

1. Olive bugger

Olive bugger Active Member

I am still trying to figure out how I got here. I am an 18 year old mind trapped in a 74 year old body.

2. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man (NFR)

I bought my first Fly Rod at about the age of 13 or 14. I had a paper route and I bought myself a Bamboo fly rod made in Japan. It was a three piece with two tips. I couldn't afford a reel but I had an old bait caster that worked on it. I didn't get into that much and when I turned 23 I bought a better one and a fly reel. A 6wt Fiber glass one and a reel made by Phluger(I can't spell very good). It was a knuckle buster. It didn't have a drag and it didn't have rim control. But I fished the hell out of it.

The first one ended up in la la land. The second I sold at a yard sale. Now all I have left is 7 rods. I still don't use them all. I only have two hands.

3. Olive bugger

I have six. I fondle them all, just like a harem. I usually take one or another to the water. The rest just languish. Till I fondle them again.

There are perks to being a dirty old man. :)

4. John Wallace

John Wallace Active Member

I did put a hole in my waders but that because I tripped and fell into a barrier on the Cedar last year and ripped them accross the leg about 6in's. A little higher and I would be talking higher!

5. Olive bugger

I hope you didn't damage John. Waders can be repaired/replaced. Fishermen can not.

6. Krusty

Krusty Krusty Old Effer

One a the worst things about being an old coot is the incredible amount of pissin and shitting we do (not to be confused with our incredible amount of general pissin & moanin). Put on the goddamn waders and I gotta piss 10 minutes later...every 2 minutes if'n I'm swillin cheap beer outta the cooler, as is my wont.

I won't even mention that one of my disgusting early mornin wader-farts once overwhelmed a hummingbird investigatin a red wet flie on my vest.....let me tell ya, there ain't much meat there once ya skin 'em out.

One a the advantages of a sit-on-top kayak is the scupper holes...don't even hafta leave the boat to take a piss....scuppers take care of it. And don't none a ya pups be giving me any shit about water pollution...goddamn ducks, beavers, and fish be pissin all the time, and yer fine with that.

Once I figger out how to cover my wrinkly ol 'back half' with a set a grampers (hell, the asstronauts do it)...I'll be able to stay out for hours without puttin a foot ashore. Maybe I could use one a my old hernia trusses to rig sumpin up.

Then....there's my hemmerhoids...but that's enough for now.

7. Jim Ficklin

Jim Ficklin Genuine Montana Fossil

if you didn't start with a bamboo rod ('cuz that's all that was available), you don't qualify. Bonus points for having used & caught fish on a Parmachene Belle, Wickham's Fancy, and Major Pitcher.

Steve Vaughn likes this.
  8. Krusty

Krusty Krusty Old Effer

I seen 'em too, Old Man....young punks, prancing around with their fancy Martin and Perrine automatic flyreels.

9. Krusty

Krusty Krusty Old Effer

At our our age (and smell) that's about all we be fondling. And that's alright...far less trouble, if I remember right.

10. bennysbuddy

bennysbuddy the sultan of swing

If you were not old enough to vote for J.F.K., your are to young!!!

11. Richard Torres

Richard Torres Active Member

Ahh, the good old days of throwing sticks tipped with rock arrows at my quarry.

My grandchildren tell me that their bamboo sticks and gut lines are the rage nowadays....
    HOGWASH!!
    I won't put up with that kind of nonsense, sissys..

12. freestoneangler

freestoneangler Not to be confused with Freestone

Jim, won't it get pretty boring replying to your own posts?

13. Richard Torres

Richard Torres Active Member

What???!!

You beat a water beaver over the head??!

I think these damn glasses don't fit right...

14. Jim Ficklin

Jim Ficklin Genuine Montana Fossil

They hadn't invented sticks yet when my childhood friend Og & I started fishing . . .

15. surfnsully

surfnsully Active Member

Can I join? I like to fart and belch as much as any OLD man, and I am good at it too!