Old School Tube Bladders

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by MD, Dec 6, 2017.

1. MD

MD Active Member

Hi All,

I have an old Caddis float tube with the heavy truck tire tube. Its been collecting sawdust in the garage for years. I want to resurrect it and hit some alpine lakes next summer while my knees still kinda like me.

Anyone experience problems with the lightweight 'plastic' bladders? The only reviews I've read on the supplier's website (Basspro) complained about the valves leaking. Anyone else have this problem?

And is the K pump still the one of choice or are they over rated?

Mike d

2. Jim Ficklin

Jim Ficklin Genuine Montana Fossil

I can offer no help re: that particular replacement bladder, but K Pumps have served me well for years.

My old Woodriver V Boats have Boston valves & I have no complaints other than they are a PIA to fill through compared to larger valves. With only 2 reviews on the body bladder -1 positive, 1 negative - it looks like a crap shoot. White River Fly Shop offers a replacement for their round tubes that has a different valve assembly, but you'd have to contact them to ascertain whether it would fit the Caddis skin.

3. MD

MD Active Member

Thanks Jim,

I'll check out the other site. I'd be happy with a larger valve. I McGuyvered an adapter to use on the truck tube but found I spent half the morning jumping up and down on my foot pump to get it filled;)

Merry Christmas

4. Jim Ficklin

Jim Ficklin Genuine Montana Fossil

You are welcome, Mike. Merry Christmas to you also!