one man boat reccomendations?

Discussion in 'Watercraft' started by Arthur Vakulchik, Jun 16, 2009.

1. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Good score on the WM. Congrats.

2. Arthur Vakulchik

Arthur Vakulchik Young Gun

alright, back to the drawing board. my dad, my bro, and a hard core steelheader sat me down today. they were going out at me all day and were like why would you buy this boat?!?! i told him how great it was, but they would fight back saying that i cant see anything down river and im gonna get hurt. they also said sinse the oar locks are on a rubber frame, then ill have no power on the oars when i need to get out of a log jam or anything. what should i do? im gonna be fishing with obsticles with this and need to know what will suit me best. also if anybody has ever had trouble getting out of something because the oars are on rubber. aslo they told me i need to atleast see in person, let alone try these two out before i set my mind on one.

so ed, if you do bring your boat id love to try it out. and im gonna have to try one of chris's before i buy one.

thanks again,
    arthur

3. Richard E

Richard E Active Member

You need to listen to your brother and dad and the hard core steelheader; they are right to a large degree, in my opinion.

See my comments I made earlier about the oar system on the WM vs. the pontoon (I used my PAC 800 for comparison). There is no comparison.

To counter your brother and dad, though, whether you need to worry about the strength of the oar system or not depends on your intended use. Not just 'hope-to' use, but actual intended use. If it's going down skookum rivers, well, I'd worry about the oar system. If it's going down the Yakima or Skagit or similar river from time to time, I wouldn't be as concerned. If you will probably use the craft in stillwaters most of the time, I wouldn't be concerned.

What will suit you best? Only you can determine that. Realistically assess the likely conditions and situations of the waters you intend to fish, and make your boat choice accordingly for those types of water you will fish the majority of the time.

4. chile66

chile66 New Member

Before I bought a Water Master, though highly recommended, I'd check out the Water Strider.
    I checked them both out and ended up buying the WS.
    Fco.

5. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Chik,

I can't weigh in on WM at all. Family camping will commence in a couple of hours and if I have room to toss my gear into and on the truck I'll bring the Panther. No guarantees at this time for this weekend, we've been way overpacking. I'll try to slim down our stuff if I can.

6. Arthur Vakulchik

Arthur Vakulchik Young Gun

It's ok then ed. If your going camping then don't bring it. I'd rather have you to pack clean underwear so you don't stink up the fair. :) have fun camping ed. And I'll go online and look at the WS.

Arthur

7. Bill Aubrey

Bill Aubrey Active Member

Look at the Wilderness Access on line also. I absolutely love mine, as do several of my friends. Rated to Class 3. Advantage over the WM is price and a much more comfortable inflatable seat vs wood.

As far as rivers, I float the Cowlitz but big deal. I also take it to Montana and other rivers and all kinds of lakes.

The oars on a kick boat are not as long or powerful as those on a good pontoon, like my Dave Scadden Madison River--it's a man! But, I don't use it as much because the WA is just so quick and easy, unless I am heading for Oregon's Deschutes near Maupin and the Canyon. But, the WA would probably even handle those fine.

Probably a good time to mention there are several keys to running rivers; here are a few.

Know which rivers to run, and at what stage. And, which water to avoid, or at least walk around.

Always wear a PFD; inflatable is fine.

Know your, and your craft's, ability.

Always face your danger--meaning, when floating, keep a sharp eye downstream and face rocks, etc.

If you have an anchor, keep it secured so it cannot set itself when you are floating.

Have fun.

8. bustedout

bustedout Still fishing

I have a WM, but the WA looks to be about the same. I've outfitted my WM with an inflatable seat so comfort is not an issue, and I sit a little higher. All the safety notes made above are good information. I always use my pfd and know my river before I float it. That means I always drive by the intended float (if I can) or I talk to the guys in the local fly shop. If it's a bit dicey, I find another river. That said, I've found the WM to be a wonderful craft that is easy to transport, set up, and pack up. On the right water, it's a ton of fun, and I can get to places I could never reach while wading.