Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Opening Day

8K views 70 replies 35 participants last post by  BDD 
#1 ·
Opening day is comin' up. Just wondering where everyone is headed? I will be fishing a lake that rhymes with "Battlerake". Be there Sun./Mon.

Good Luck :thumb:
Tony

#64 ·
Took my grandson out on lake 16 opening day, hightlight was two bald eagles screwing from 2000 feet down. Quite the sight! Very slow in the morning even with fishing with woolley buggers. We finally caught some in the afternoon but grandson was pissed because grandma caught the first fish, needless to say haven't strung my rod yet. Nice little chiro hatch came off at about 6:20 pm and lasted about twenty minutes, couple of fly guys that had them dialed in.

Daryle

#65 ·
Sharon and I got a late start and ended up at Blue lake (Sun lakes coulee).
Got on the water a little before noon.
You could just about walk across the lakes (Park and Blue) on all the boats.
Ran into a couple of fly fishers in toons and got the scoop on what was hitting.
Slow troll or retrieve on sinking line, black, or brown bead head buggers.
caught many in the 12/14".
I really enjoy hearing the different kids call out (I've got one) (I've got one too).
Nice day good weather, friendly fellow fishers.
Thanks again to the tooner guys for the tip.

#67 ·
Damn Chad that is a fattie. I haven't been able to catch any stockers bigger than 14" yet.

Maybe it is time to end my Power Bait career and take up the old fly rod again...........

I guess I will go out with one last Power Bait bang this evening and than retire.

#68 ·
I'm kicking myself today. After getting that 4lber last night, I was a little jittery at all the rises and large wakes being pushed around by aggressive fish. I missed a take and on the back cast struck a rock. I put the fly right in the spot I missed the fish and sure enough it came back and sucked my fly in. It was a pig for sure. I set the hook and felt weight for a split second, but didn't stick. Doh! Fished for a while more with 3 or 4 more misses and really getting frustrated - but having blast at the same time casting to the risers. This morning I planned to make a few casts with the same fly, but as I went to add some gink floatant, I noticed the hook point was broken off just above the barb. Grrrrrr. Anyway, I ended up chucking chironomids from the bank for a little bit trying my new 'thingamabogs' (or however you spell that) indicators. I really liked using them compared to corkies, yarn, or those quick release foam kind. Took a few little stockers - but it was COLD and windy and not much of a hatch going on.

#69 ·
I feel your pain with the broken hook.

I have been there.

I have been there with summer steelhead even......

God damn I have been there.....bawling:

#70 ·
I went to padden in my float tube and this guy said somthing to his girl friend in russian before he casted and they laughed, all of a sudden I see his gear drop down two feet in front of me. I made sure I was out of his way and he casted off to the side in my general direction. I did catch 10-15 fish on a olive wb.

#71 ·
I took three of my kids to the juvenile pond on Saturday, open year 'round.

Great weather. There were about 6 other groups there but I didn't really see them catching any on their Powerbait.

Lots of fish midging the shallows. My kids say, "dad you picked a great spot because we can see fish right next to shore".

I suspended a midge about 18 inches below a small indicator and proceeded to let them catch pile of fish. We pumped a stomach and then I let the kids pick a fly from the flybox that best looked like what we pumped. The kids were busy playing in the water, making mud pies, chasing bugs etc. Every few minutes I'd set the hook and them them reel in a fish. We took turns doing this until each kid had their fill.

Great day. I'd post some pictures but I don't know how and I don't want to brag on how cut my kids are.:rofl:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.