Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Opening Day

8K views 70 replies 35 participants last post by  BDD 
#1 ·
Opening day is comin' up. Just wondering where everyone is headed? I will be fishing a lake that rhymes with "Battlerake". Be there Sun./Mon.

Good Luck :thumb:
Tony

#2 ·
I'll stay away the first weekend, since it will be it's normal zoo like event, especially if the weather is good! I may go up to the Jimmy Green Memorial Spey Day's event up on hte Skagit, but have to be back by about 3pm, so I haven't decided for sure.

I do have a pellet fly somewhere in one of my flyboxes, so maybe I will head to a lake and see how that works! Doubtful, but it's a possibility...

Bill :cool:

#27 ·
That is my plan. I got a foot with a torn ligament so I was going to sit in a nice chair and fish with powerbait.

Just hearing the Russians cuss at each other should be interesting enough to make it worth while . :beer2:

#7 ·
Most likely hit a little lake Amie and I have hit opening weekend over the last couple years either Sat or Sun and maybe that big one in NB the other.
the last few years Amie and I put a clinic on the little lake and its a lot of laughs as many of the guys that live around the lake just can not understand people fly fishing and one a women at that out fishing them and their power bait.
Last year I noticed many of those living on the lake where trying their hand with fly rods. Also at least two of the guys fishing there tried to hit up on Amie and her then bright red hair.
Course with my luck this year on planter lakes I may even get skunked. Who knows. Seems like on year round lakes with planters this year I have had to work a bit for each fish. Sure would be nice to be into some easy fishing for a few days again.

#8 ·
Fighting the Opening Day crowd can be depressing. bawling: Like, where do you park? :confused: However, if you wait until after the weekend, the fishing is just as good :thumb:, and it won't be as crowded. :thumb: Then again, if you enjoy putting on the clinic :p :rofl: :p :rofl:, you won't find as big of an audience as on Opening Day. :beer2:

#14 ·
Hey that's where I'm aheadin saturday. Hafta work so won't be up there until maybe three thirty or so in the afternoon. You've probably seen me before fishing bass there anyway one of my favorite lakes. Mostly just because it's on the way home from work. Might have some dog flies done by then to try out on the planters. Might be early for bass, but I'm bringing my 6wt and some big streamers too maybe there's a bass or two sunning in the shallows.

#17 ·
Might have to take my friend's kid who is my sometimes fishing buddy if he wants to go, as he's in school during the week. Actually, I'm hoping the surf is good and he wants to surf, so I can work then and fish later during the week. My plan is to go late, anyway.
Since my squanoe is drydocked, I'll have to take my 16' slug with the 4 stroke, which will have the effect of narrowing the gaps between all the boats on the small lake i have in mind. However, the bigger and uglier craft will give me the upper hand in a larger number of "chicken face-offs" if we decide to attempt to troll through the clusterfork.:hmmm:
Ill be wearing my Cocoons over my game face:cool:, even if its cloudy. And there'd better not be a power bait plunker in my favorite spot!ptyd:clown:

Oh yeh, I tried to get a jump on it today on my way home from Sequirm, at Lake Leland. I would have gone to Gibbs, but I had my mini-drifter on a trailer. Leland ssucked. Actually, it blew. I worked part of the shoreline, but the wind was bad and trolled mostly, nary a sign of any fish, water temp either 49 or 50 F, lost a couple of good Buggers to snags, visibility maybe two feet....might be a good bass or panfish lake later. Not gonna be one of my faves, I can tell already.

#19 ·
I am planning on heading up to 'Battlerake' on Sunday. too. I'll be the guy in the Southfork that doesn't know what he is doing. This will be my first time on a lake so I talked to the guys at Creekside and should have most of the appropriate gear. I am looking forward to this trip. I have heard it is a beautiful lake. My plan is to hit it in the afternoon and hopefully avoid some of the crowd.

#22 ·
I will be fishing out of a blue fishcat, 2 buddies with me using float tubes. I have fished that lake a fair amount, so if you're struggling don't be afraid to ask for pointers. Stockers in there aren't very picky. A good place to start is a red carey or spratley #10. Lots of action on the fly should result in lots of action for you:thumb:
Good luck
Tony

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.