Opinions of others?

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by unrooted, Jan 11, 2011.

1. Steve Saville

Steve Saville Active Member

I have a pair of Simms waders. They fit but I most often wear the cheapest Cabela's boot foot waders and don't give a rat's butt what others wear or if they like my clothes. I fish with a group of guys that could care less. It's the fishing that coumts.

2. Chris Johnson

Chris Johnson Member: Native Fish Society

Unrooted, don't worry about it bro, just go and learn all you can. It's about pleasing yourself, not others. The fu**in snob are not worth your time!

3. soundflycaster

soundflycaster Member

Screw em. If you're a fly fishing geek your in the club. I have found over the years the some of the best equipped and dressed guys on the river can't cast a or fish a lick. Just ignore them. Keep working on your casting and you will get there.

4. Lugan

Lugan Joe Streamer

Some of you guys are like insecure 13 year-old girls talking about your own clothes and what others are wearing.

5. unrooted

unrooted Active Member

I re-read my post, I sure come across as a butt-hurt little be-yotch. I really did get a lot from it, I learned how to tighten up my c-spey and a few things about gear and casting, I mostly just thought it was funny that people think that fishing is a tough guys sport, it's kind of like climbing, surfing and mountain biking, the beginners and pros are super cool and the kinda good folk are sticks in the mud.

I don't have anything against simms, etc, I just felt like a homeless guy in the ritz. I will probably buy some of that gear in the future, if I ever get a job and if my current stuff wears out. I'm actually a super gear head, so mostly I was just jealous especially after trying out the guides Sage rod, that thing felt nice and cast super smooth but I think that is cause it had a really soft feel compared to my stiff stick so I was able to cast slowly and still get a good bit of distance, compared with my fast action rod where I have to be more precise with my timing.

I went to a TU meeting tonight and of twenty-some people in the room I was the only one to fish in the last month, and I've hit 5 different rivers and been out a least twice a week in that time. So despite not having a lot of knowledge at least I'm getting a lot more time on the water than some folk which might be why my reel is jacked up, and my jacket and waders both have holes and rips.

6. Panhandle

Panhandle Active Member

I wear simms, patagonia, have Sage gear, etc..
    But you wouldn't notice because all my gear is covered with beer, chew spit, fish slime, dirt, and farts.

7. TomB

TomB Active Member

....that's the way to do it...the last dozen or so steelhead i have landed haven't said a word about my aquaseal patterned waders covered with plastic shopping bags as glue-backing, or the holes in my wading jacket, or the duct tape on one of my guides (ok, I should really fix that one). time on the water is worth 10 times more than all of the rest of it combined...make your time count...be observant when you are out there and you will start to pick up patterns both in your presentation and your reading of the water and conditions...you will improve much faster than the orvis-toting yuppies hanging out at the clubhouse.

8. Leroy Laviolet

Leroy Laviolet Aint no nookie like chinookie

Very well stated Pan, and a good thing to take with you in life in general-
    I gotta say though , I'm all for high fasion on the river ...:rofl::rofl:

9. stewart dee

stewart dee Guest

Next time go with a nice 18 pack of PBR or Busch tall boys and start drinking while you piece together your fly rod. That always gets some good looks!

10. Derek Young

Derek Young Emerging Rivers Guide Services

Home Page:
    Professional Boaters Refreshment FTW.

11. golfman65

golfman65 Guest

whats worse or better for that matter...a bunch of dressed up yehaa's with no skill or a beater set up and you whoop on um?

When I used to golf I rolled out on the public courses in a t-shirt and shorts..smoking a stoogie with a no name bag...loved walking up to the Titleist or Nike logo'd guys and squint at um and say..."Mind if I join you"? Actually had a couple groups try to blow me off but would tell um the shop put me in their group...Would just put a whooping on them...and eventually they'd realize that I was scratch and they with all their gear sucked...funny as hell and for the most part we were all chatty little cathy's by the end...

On the water, one of the best casters etc. I know sports some of the cheapest ass stuff you've ever seen...looks kind of like towelly off southpark....but watch him cast and fish for a bit and you realize..."holy shit, looks can sure be deceiving...guy's boots used to have laces knotted on um and no felt on the bottom...He is like a rat bike in human form...then he takes your rod, throws it to the backing knot, says.."Dude, nice rod" and walks away with you winding line in like a bastard....

Now me, I can finally afford a few things and dig having um...but that just means I worked my ass off for too long, don't fish enough or have anything else to spend my jack on...but it comes with some learned skills so I don't look like a total douche bag...

IMHO nothing is more shallow then guys who show up sporting all the gear and don't know diddley about what they got or how to use....the words...Pretender, wannabe, goof...d.s. etc come to mind...I don't know about the rest of the guys on here..but if you got it and can't use it or even have an appreciation about what it is..then your a joke..

Last on my long ramble, sounds like you scored fine..guy gave you a ride, a running line and a cool fly...we've all been there and most are more then willing to share what they got with guys who got the fire but not the means..much more respect for that then the other in my book...

stew d. is a big gear pimp by the way...:)

12. stewart dee

stewart dee Guest

stew d. is a big gear pimp by the way...:)[/QUOTE]

Yeah Right! My crap is only worth half of the cigars your puffin all day. Who has not one but two Bougle pimps?:rolleyes:;);)
    ps. the fly is just for the photo - - we cant disclose what beads we float under our bobbers.

13. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

F'ing awesome right there.

14. dreamonafly

dreamonafly Active Member

Hello Unrooted... I started this spey fishing just a few month ago.. went to the clinic in hope of meeting and learning from everyone there, the instructer and most the guys there were toatally stand up guys.. there alway a few snooby, make me feel like a newbie, not because of my clothing or equipment.. I found most of the guys goes to the clinic is their thing, perfecting their cast and making it lookks good.....they don't fish.. when I ask them to let me tack along sometime to learn this two handed thing, they all give me the run around; so one night I was on this website looking at the spey clave section, Stewart dee posted "skagit Tommorrow?".. I was like woooowww is this real, I have not seen an ad. like this, so I pm him in hope of going out for some real fishing situation, he pm me back to meet him up and hit the skagit... i was so stoke that night, I couldn't sleep, Every since that first trip, I have learn more from Stewart Dee than any one every told me and we have fish for the last few month... never really tell him that much to him in person.(he would probably B**th Slap for been too sensitive)..sorry did meant to go too off the subject but theres lots of good people out there.. unrooted don't let the few damper your spirit,, take care jimmy

15. Mark Speer

Mark Speer It's all good.....

duct tape right foot!!!!:rofl::rofl::rofl: priceless! I like how you roll man!:thumb: