OPST Tip for SRC

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by VTDryFly, Nov 13, 2017.

Tags:
  1. VTDryFly

VTDryFly Member

i am looking for the ideal commando tip for my 9ft 5 weight used for SRC beach fishing. I was thinking of a 7.5 floating but didn’t know what sink rate for the sinking tip. I was told by OPST to use the bucket and then someone else said run and another said riffle. I am just trying to find one that would work in most situations like a full intermediate does for a sinking line. Also what size for the running line. any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks

Vandelay Industries likes this.
  2. Stuart_Stringer

Stuart_Stringer Active Member

I have found a 10ft type 5 tip fishes about the same depth as a full intermediate head. It’s rare that you need to get more than a few feet deep (primarily under bright sunny conditions).

To cover most bases a floating tip and a run tip (which is a type 4) would serve you well. In reality the bucket or the run won’t make that big of a difference in depth, at least not more than fishing a weighted or unweighted fly. You will catch plenty of fish on both. The heavier tip would come in handy in bright sun or when you are trying to get down in a fast rip, but could drag bottom in the shallows that SRC like to hang out in.

Running line is primarily personal preference, you will get many different recommendations. Thin running line casts farther, but gets harder to handle particularly when your hands are cold. I am not a fan of the Lazar running line (or most mono running lines for that mater) on the beach. It’s not well behaved in a stripping basket and tangles often. Airflo miracle braid is decent, offers good grip and is mostly tangle resistant. For the beaches, my preference is fly line type running lines such as the Rio Powerflex. They seem to offer the best balance of casting distance, ease of handling, and not tangling.

3. Salt and Barley

Salt and Barley Member

I have an OPST set up for a 5w that I use for close quarters on beaches, and also used it this fall and summer a bit on a couple of streams with no room for back casting. I carry all of the tips with me in my bag, but hardly ever attach the Bucket (S6) when I'm fishing salty beaches. The beaches I do break it out on, have rocky structures and are somewhat shallow. I'll almost always just run the Riffle, or have one of the 7.5' floating tips on. I run 30lb. Lazar line, and while it took some getting used to, I'm able to stretch it out a bit and it works fine for me. It took some practice, but I have a lot of fun fishing this way and find it very versatile!

4. VTDryFly

VTDryFly Member

Ok thanks. Are you using 7.5ft sink tips too? Do you ever use the run tip?

5. Salt and Barley

Salt and Barley Member

Yeah, 7.5ft. Definitely bust out the Run tips from time to time, but have used in more for streams than anything. I've used them with a heavier fly in some rips off the beach to get down quickly, but the beaches I currently fish this set up with now, I use the lighter or floating heads.

6. VTDryFly

VTDryFly Member

Thanks for this. When you say shallow is the water you catch fish a foot or two deep? Do you use the 12 foot tips on the river ever?
    Thanks

7. Salt and Barley

Salt and Barley Member

Yeah, have caught quite a few in less than a foot, and I'm sure some of these guys on here have hooked up in some very shallow situations. Haven't used the 12ft tips from OPST yet, but I don't do a lot of fishing in the rivers with that set up.

8. Vandelay Industries

Vandelay Industries Active Member

@Salt and Barley, do you ever have difficulty with ensuring that your able to get the fly all the way to you before casting back out again? Many times SRCs and Coho hit just as you are done stripping the fly in. I am wondering with the tips and connections if you have issues with the fly rod guides stopping the cast going out. I've been thinking of this system for close quarter fishing. Thanks.

Salt and Barley and Stonefish like this.
  9. Salt and Barley

Salt and Barley Member

@Vandelay Industries Yeah, very true. That's a good point that I know bugs some people. I've done ok so far, and although I definitely don't think it's the gospel or my favorite way to fish, it's fun to change it up sometimes and another arrow in the quiver when I don't feel like taking the boat out and getting to some beaches I couldn't normally fish. It takes a couple of extra shakes to get the head back out properly stripping in all the way, but it doesn't bother me much.

Vandelay Industries likes this.
  10. Vandelay Industries

Vandelay Industries Active Member

@Salt and Barley, thanks for the information. It does make sense adding this to the quiver. There are quite a few situations where this system would be beneficial. It sounds like the draw backs are minimal. I wouldn't mind learning a different way of fishing either. Plus, this seems like a good way to streamer fish on the Yakima and similar rivers as well. I appreciate the input.

Salt and Barley likes this.
  11. cmann886

cmann886 Active Member

Definitely a good way to streamer fish on the Yakima. Consider a set of light intermediate MOW tips with your 5 wt.

12. msteudel

msteudel Mark Steudel

Home Page:
    I was out SRC fishing with my 11ft switch rod. I had a floating mow tip on an then an intermediate poly leader with down to a swivel and then a few feet of 2x. When I hit the head, either I'll strip it all the way in, and roll cast it back out, or I'll just sweep the rod up and back till the fly reaches me, then go into a roll cast and then whatever spey cast I was going to do. I'll probably end up losing a few fish that way, but it is annoying

13. VTDryFly

VTDryFly Member

Hi can you elaborate on what you mean for the Second way you reset after stripping to the head. I don’t know what you mean until the fly reaches you

14. msteudel

msteudel Mark Steudel

Home Page:
    Sorry, clear as mud.
    1. Rod is pointing towards fly
    2. Head hits the end of the tip
    3. I'll sweep the rod backwards and a little up, this continues to bring the fly back towards me
    4. When I run out of room, I'll just roll cast to clear the line and then go right into whatever spey cast I feel like using.

The obvious downside is that if you get a hit while your rod is somewhat behind you it's hard to set the hook, but if you do a bit of a strip set you can usually keep the line tight

15. VTDryFly

VTDryFly Member

Ok great thanks makes sense. How much ripper do you have off your tip? Because if the head shorter would be better to get it in close but not sure before it gets too short to catch fish