OPST Tip for SRC

msteudel

Mark Steudel
Ok great thanks makes sense. How much ripper do you have off your tip? Because if the head shorter would be better to get it in close but not sure before it gets too short to catch fish
Im not familiar with the term ripper, but 10 ft head, 10ft of floating tip, 5ft of intermediate poly leader and 2 - 3 ft of 2x. My rod is 11 ft so if I sweep it back I probably still have like 15+ ft of line in front of me.

Does your float too not float the best. Mine will have part that are not floating on top like a standard floating line. The fly still floats by sometimes goes under when I strip it in. It’s new so it’s not like it’s dirty or anything

msteudel

Mark Steudel
Im not 100% sure what are saying :). Mine seems to float fine. If you have a multi-density tip, then perhaps you have it reversed. If the fly is floating and never sinking, that's sorta weird, unless it's a topwater pattern.

Im not 100% sure what are saying :). Mine seems to float fine. If you have a multi-density tip, then perhaps you have it reversed. If the fly is floating and never sinking, that's sorta weird, unless it's a topwater pattern.
Sorry yes it’s a top water pattern but it seems like parts are kind of in and out of the surface film. Not really floating on top throughout.

Ok thanks. Are you using 7.5ft sink tips too? Do you ever use the run tip?
I’ll be able to give some more feedback on this after I fish this weekend, but I know a number of people that use the 5’ run sink tip and are happy with it. I just picked up the 7.5’ Run and Bucket last week and expect similar results as the 5’. For me it’s a good fit, but I always fish from a boat in anywhere from 2-20’ of water.