Orvis Double-Ring-Cork Seat Conversion?

Discussion in 'Rod Building' started by dryflylarry, Apr 29, 2011.

1. dryflylarry

dryflylarry "Chasing Riseforms"

I'm not a rod builder, or I may need to find someone to help me. I am seriously considering (if it is at all possible) to convert my double-ring-cork seat on my mid 1970's early Orvis graphite rod. It is a 6 wt. - 1/7/8 oz. rod. It casts like a dream and compares to almost a 4 wt by todays standards. (For those interested, and a little off the subject... I have a new Airflo 5 wt. line that works perfect for the rod. A recent comparison of a new similar rod would be the new Winston BIIt, which is very close in action, being on the slower side--and, a wonderful rod to cast also in a 4 wt.) Anyway, does anyone know if it is possible to change the double-rings to an uplock type of reel seat or anything other than the two ring setup? Would someone have to remove the entire grip to do this if it is possible? And finally, do you know who could do that for a reasonable price? I don't like the double-ring setup because the rings always come loose. This is a wonderful rod to cast.

2. Derek Young

Derek Young Emerging Rivers Guide Services

Home Page:
    Great rod - I recently was given a ZG Helios Ion in 5wt, 7'9" which I've yet to cast but it's got the double-ring setup as well. Thinking a CFO II would be a sweet reel on it.

3. dryflylarry

I have tried using a little strip of tape or something (considering a cut strip of aluminum) on the flat portion. The tape seemed to help tighten things up. I did purchase the Battenkill BBS II which is very lightweight reel at 3.5 ozs. and it works pretty well on it, but still can loosen when you least expect it. I have a CFO as well, but haven't put it on recently because I haven't used the rod for a long time. Anyway, this is one heck good rod and I want to use it. I haven't called Orvis to see if they could fit a locking reel seat on it or not. I don't know much at all about rod building, unfortunately... I'm not familar with the Ion, but I'm sure it's a nice rod. This old 6 wt. casts almost like a 4 wt. A 5wt. Airflo line I have was a perfect match for the rod, although it was a WF. I'm sure a DT would have worked fine too.

4. Tyler Speir

Tyler Speir Artist

Home Page:
    that would be an easy change. You don't have to take the grip off the rod. The only part you might find tricky is inserting the new reel seat in the old grip. You can do it 2 ways, try and dig out the last ring to fit the seat. If that fails its not a big deal. You would need to get another cork ring and fit it to the seat. Make a clean flush cut on your old grip and butt then together and glue. Once its set you will need to turn down the cork ring to size.

5. Tyler Speir

Tyler Speir Artist

Home Page:
    or get a seat that sits flush, without a hood. Most downlocking seats are that way anyways.

6. jessejames

jessejames Flyslinger

OR ask Tyler what it wouild cost for him to do it he is a real pro!!!!! It would be done right it is obviously a rod you enjoy casting so it would be worth it to get it done professionally.
    jesse

7. dryflylarry

Tyler-

If you are up for helping me out, I would be thrilled. I have a reel seat around but not knowing didlely about rod building I don't know if it would fit. PM me if you can offer me a reasonable price. This is a sweet rod as far as the action. Thanks.