Orvis excited about stimulus package!

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Hem, Feb 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jack Murphy

Jack Murphy Member

What cracks me up is the guy who says, "$1,000 is ridiculous to pay for a fly rod," then goes out and buys his 60th pack of Marlboro's for the month and his 30th mocha of the month and his 4th case of beer of the month=$250 cigs + $90 coffee + $60 beer = only 2.5 months to get a new rod!!!

;)

2. ribka

ribka Active Member

"From each according to his ability - to each according to his need" may soon replace "In God we Trust" on our currency, just so nobody forgets.
    PS: for you youngsters who don't know where that, from each to each, quote originated---look it up, I know they didn't teach it to you in school)

PAPAFISH and others have to agree:

It's all all about choice.It's good that some people have the money now to spend.

I lived in worked in the country where that phrase above originated. Fishing over there is a bit different than in the U.S. I fly fished with a $150 cabelas rod and reel and I was the envy of all my fishing partners. I fished with the locals and they could not even afford a $15 snoopy pole. In fact most fished with handlines, nets or cut a small birch tree and attached a line. And boy were they were they pissed-off at me when I practiced catch and release on trout, grayling, taimen and salmon in their presence. I managed to get a couple of them hooked on fly fishing and left my equipment with them when I departed the country. I doubt in that country the locals will ever have the choice to practice catch and release of sport fish.

3. Be Jofus G

Be Jofus G Banned or Parked

Only 4 cases? Blahhhh slackers:rofl:
    I have no problem buying smokes coffe and beer. Someone has to feed the welfare moms and methheads.

If the helios is too expensive, people won't buy it and the price will go down. You can always get one on closeout when the next model comes out anyway. It's a badass rod at $750 bucks it will still be just as badass when the next generation comes out.

4. SteelieD

SteelieD Non Member

Dang, with Jacks math ($60/month for beer) I can have that new Z Axis switch next year, just in time for the nates!

Nah.... I like my beer, I'll keep fishing my Redington's!:rofl:

If you don't like it, don't buy it. Simple as that.

5. sportsman

sportsman Active Member

What a soap opera; call it the 'Fishless and Restless'! First we have Faux Anger, but misguided because of missing facts. Then right into the 'pissy' stage'[always my favorite part of the show]!Then the 'disinformation': made in ....made by....followed by the "Rod Father" setting the record straight. After commercial break we have admission[bought at wrong time], some more 'pissiness'[keep it coming!], then contriteness, more 'pissiness' and finishing with a Social Commentary: "Bloods vs. Crips.".....What the F...!? Can't wait for tomorrows show!

6. Josh

Josh dead in the water

What did you expect the conversation to be like, it's an internet forum.

7. sportsman

sportsman Active Member

Josh, only reason I chimed in was that it exceeded ALL of my expectations!

8. ggggloomis

ggggloomis New Member

Man i wish i had all the money to spend on fishing stuff I spent on beer. I would have so much shit I wouldnt be able to move.

9. Runejl

Runejl Josh

Have you guys picked up the Helios? I didnt know about it and happened to be in San Francisco and needed to have a little fly shop perusing to escape the claustraphobia I was feeling from the city. Those rods are so light and crisp. I was stunned right away. I would love to actually cast one. I would love to own one to, but I will wait till someone is selling one used.

10. ggggloomis

ggggloomis New Member

really 300 dollars better than the z axis or the biix or the reddington cpx or the loomis glx. Just curious srsly.

11. Richard E

Richard E Active Member

You have choices; don't buy it. :beathead:

Folks said similar things 12 years ago or so when SP's came out qnd they were $500 or $600 then.

We all pay $$ for certain items important to us that others can't understand why we're paying that much for them . . .

12. bitterroot

bitterroot Love vintage graphite!

Personally, I would not be caught dead fishing with a rod that did not cost at least $2500. They go so much better with my tweed jacket, leather sachel and briar pipe! I tried to fish a $1000 rod one time but just could not throw a quality loop.
    bitterroot

13. miyawaki

miyawaki Active Member

Just a short word on the Helios rod.

A couple years ago, Orvis got their hands on the latest state-of-the-art graphite composite material and coupled it with their proprietary thermoplastic resins and made the world's lightest flyrods. They are lighter than Z-Axis or any other rod. The new 6' 2wt. Helios Ion only weighs 7/8 oz. Each rod is made in our rod shop in Manchester, Vt. Each and every rod is tested (that is EVERY rod, not the batches) before it is put in a tube and shipped.

Leland.

14. Randall Dee

Randall Dee Castaway

Home Page:
    Yeah, pretty funny stuff. What I find to be the most ironic is the way some people immediately get all pissy in their attempt to accuse the original poster of being all................you guessed it, pissy.

15. Buck

Buck "Ride'n Dirty."

I just bought a FLi 4pc., 5 wt for $170. on close out, About half off. And also made in the USA. I find that most gear can be had at a discount if you just look around a little.
    Frank.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.