Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

orvis line or scientific anglers line

2K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  Nooksack Mac 
#1 ·
Hey , i am planing on gettin some new floating line soon. Was just wondering if anyone knows how well the trout line from orvis and scientific anglers perform.
Also which one u think is best to get.

Thanks

#2 ·
I hate Orvis lines, and I work in a store that primarily sells Orvis and Cortland, so that should tell you how much I dislike them (I also dislike the Cortlands).

My vote goes to the SA Trout series if you're looking for something for a 5 weight or smaller, or the GPX if you want something for a 6 plus. I have the GPX on my 8 and 6 and the Trout on my 5 and a DT Trout on my 3.

RIO is another good choice.

#4 ·
I have a GPX SA line and I love it. It shoots very well and its easy to mend on my six weight. I managed to scrap it up the first week that I had it and it still floats very well. I heard that Rios new lines are fantastic. If I were you I would cast both on your rod and see which one works best for you.

Tightlines :thumb:

#5 ·
I just bought a SA three weight trout taper and it is by far the sweetest line I've fished. It stays slick and almost makes me look like I can cast. I've had several different brands of lines but for day in day out years of quality performance SA gets my vote.

#7 ·
Orvis and Scientific Anglers lines are of similar if not identical quality. Orvis has it's own coating process for the Wonderline series, and this is every bit as good as the AST coating on the SA lines. Rio is definately in the running for some of the best lines in the game.

Im using the Rio Traditional Double Taper lines this year and they are great.

#8 ·
I have a couple floating 5wt SA Ultra 4's, a WF and DT, that I really like. I bought them for different 5wt's that I have. I also have a Rio Headstart, that I bought one weight higher than the rod I put it on, since it's a very fast action rod.

I looked at some of the higher end SA lines, and eventually want to get a Rio Grand or maybe a SA Mastery, but am happy with the lines I have.

The Orvis lines have been discussed a great deal, and I'm sure you can find a lot of info by doing some searches. Most people I know who have the 555 series have not liked dealing with the memory problems with the line coiling. I think they may have fixed the problem with some of the lines, but I'm not in any hurry to spend the $'s to find out.

Good luck!
Bill

#9 ·
orvis wonderline not so bad

never purchased much from Orvis but I have a wonderline that I have really liked. Their floater floats high and stays slick. Can't say i have lost any zip compared to the SA prior that cracked and pitted quite quickly. Given the need i would likely try the Rio because i have liked their other lines i own. I am sure their is some value to taking your rod and giving each a try first

#11 ·
Island Fly Fisher said:
Other quick question , just wondering wut type of trout floating line for a 7 weight rod would u guys suggest on in the RIO series and SA because theres lots of differnt kinds out there. Thanks
Depends what you'll be doing. I have a SA GPX and its for my 6 weight and it to is a floater. The Rio Grande model is pretty sweet too. You cannot go wrong with either. ptyd

#12 ·
Lately I've had great results with a line I got for free. It was on an English fly reel I picked up on eBay. By measuring, weighing, and testing, I determined that it was a DT6F, maker unknown, and old enough to be a bit stiff. But it has twelve-foot tapers at each end (something the English understand, but U.S. makers evidently don't) that turn over a long leader and dry fly beautifully, every time.
What makes a good floating line? They've been making "plastic" lines since W.W. II, so how to do it is no mystery. I use lines from premium to "drugstore" and I can't remember when I had one that wasn't a good floater, or supple enough (although I've had a few long enough that they became something like wire; any fly line looses polymers over time, so they become stiffer and lighter). Any brand or series of lines that's been on the market for some time is likely to cast and float as well as you could want. Can't see yourself with a Cortland 333? Why the hell not?
Newly developed tapers and formulations may be spectacular successes - or spectacular flops. If you go that way, be sure that you're buying an ironclad guarantee.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.