Orvis Spey Rods

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by yellerstone, Dec 21, 2003.

1. yellerstone

yellerstone Guest

I'm thinking about buying an Orvis TLS spey rod (used). Does anybody have any experience with them, comments?

2. Matt Burke

Matt Burke Active Member

Nope. Anything else but an Orvis. They sure try to sell a lot on ebay. Not always a good sign. It's the ones you don't see on ebay that you want. Any chance you could make it to River Run Angler in Carnation?

Matt

3. yellerstone

yellerstone Guest

Matt, this rod is an ebay thing-12'6' 7wt. I thought it might be a fun summer run rod if it's cheap enough, but I have absolutly no experience with Orvis spey rods. I also notice that the other Orvis spey rods up for auction are not attracting any bids-another sign perhaps.

A spendy purchase is out of the question for now, I need to finish grad school first, so the austerity program will just break my heart if I go to River Run Angler.

I used to have a B&W hexagraph which was okay, good design, poor workmanship.

Thanks for the heads up.

4. Matt Burke

Matt Burke Active Member

Good choice to wait. At River Run, you can try a lot of rods and work on the casting before you decide to blow the wad. Spey casting will always be there after grad school. And besides, you may find people in your neck of the woods that will let you try their stuff. Go to the Spey Claves coming up. Should be one every month around here some where. Meet some people, press a few palms, try a few rods and get the hell out of school so you can do some serious fishing.

Matt Burke

5. Shakes

Shakes New Member

DON'T Buy that rod. I have cast it and it is an absolute noodle with not enough backbone to shoot line. A friend of mine had the rod and was having problems casting. I had him try my 7wt sage, and it made all the difference in the world in his casting. He there after gave the rod to his nephew and bought a new rod. There are many spey rods out there that are not very expensive, but still cast like a dream.:thumb