Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Otto update

939 views 13 replies 11 participants last post by  Scott Salzer 
#1 ·
I went to fish Cady Lake early this month and stopped in to see how Larry and Otto are doing. They have bonded and are marvelous companions for each other. Otto has already grown visibly. He is clearly a bright puppy who tests to find out where Larry’s limits are. Otto started chewing on the leg of a couch while Larry and I were visiting and Larry said, “Otto, come on, stop it, stop it.” Otto stopped, put his face on the floor and looked at Larry. Larry said, “Go play with one of your toys.” Otto dutifully went over to one of his toys and only half heartedly chewed on it. He turned to Larry with a look of “There, is that good enough?” We had a good laugh over that. When Larry went to his mom’s for an extended family Christmas dinner he brought Otto with him. The family liked Otto. Larry takes Otto, or maybe Otto takes Larry, for a walk every morning. Larry said thanks several times while I was there. Truly, he and Otto are learning to love each other.

#5 ·
Thanks Jim, That's one of the best things we have done around here. Im really proud of us. I like the idea of a bunch of us getting together there one day, barbecue and fishing etc. Do a little litter patrol on the road,( Larry does not let much build-up there ). And we can all visit Larry and Otto and give our thanks for an exceptional steward of a unique fishery- Cady Lake.

Larry tells me that late september through october is dry fly heaven down there. So we'll have to get this up and running late this summer for a plan by fall if anyone is interested then. I wont miss it.

#6 ·
Zen Piscator said:
Thats really great, im glad its working out. Whats the situation with cady lake acessability, is larry gonna be able to keep it going?
We really didn't talk about access much Andy; we mostly talked about Otto and family. Larry said that things hadn't changed since we delivered the puppy.

Bob Triggs said:
Thanks Jim, That's one of the best things we have done around here. Im really proud of us. I like the idea of a bunch of us getting together there one day, barbecue and fishing etc. Do a little litter patrol on the road,( Larry does not let much build-up there ). And we can all visit Larry and Otto and give our thanks for an exceptional steward of a unique fishery- Cady Lake.

Larry tells me that late september through october is dry fly heaven down there. So we'll have to get this up and running late this summer for a plan by fall if anyone is interested then. I wont miss it.
I like the idea of organizing a barbecue/cleanup also Bob. Fishing would be a bonus.

#7 ·
I'm delighted though not at all surprised that Larry and Otto have bonded. It was a great thing to see that day. :D

iagree

Definitely plan on me for any kind of event out there.

#9 ·
That's great to hear.

I am in on the BBQ/Cleanup/Fishing day at Cady.

As for the access, I was at Puget Sound Fly Co. a couple weeks ago and they had a flyer talking about the happenings at Cady for people to take.
I will have to get another one and see if I can scan it to put up here somewhere.

#11 ·
I just talked to Larry today. It seems that Otto is doing OK, if you consider a doting human who is also a fine chef cooking high energy sourdough biscuits for your morning snack OK. As I was talking to Larry on the phone, Otto was talking at the same time, obviously commenting on the activities of Cady Lake Manor. It seems both are doing fine.

On the matter of the state WDFW concerns about the access area, Larry reported that at the hearings on January 14 and 15 he was allowed 3 minutes to relate his positions, which was a source of consternation to him. It seems that the director, however, had a chance to hear some of the testimony and wanted to get the facts himself to understand the WDFW position, and seemed to be sympathetic to Larry and the history of Cady Lake and its fly fishing only stipulations. Cady Lake has been flyfishing only since 1938, although since 1952 as regulated by the WDFW. If there is a position that the WDFW takes that marks a change in the status quo, I will help co-ordinate a response from this board as well as fly fishing clubs and other fly fishers. But Larry seemed optimistic, as well as Otto.

Sterling

#12 ·
Its great to hear that Larrys getting on with Otto, and yes Bob Cady can be dry fly heaven at times, really good hatches of mayflies, midges, and caddis with lots of surface action, there should be a post or two from me on that subject. I'm certainly up for a get together of some sort out there.
Tony

#14 ·
Bob:

All dogs live better than we do, BUT can they cast a fly? On the other hand, they don't need too..... I had a mut that used to love to fish. She was a small dog that would swim out into the middle of a river to see how I was doing. I would cross the river with her on the upstream side, against my leg, til we got to the other side. Just wanted to be there, although it did matter to her if I caught fish. One of the best fishing buddies I ever had - no judgement, no advice.....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.