Ouch

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Old Man, Aug 1, 2014.

1. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

I don't tie flies so I either have a few people tie some up for me. My hands just shake to bad for me to try any more. I'm even starting to have trouble tying flies to my tippets. But I stick with it until I get the little eye threaded.

What I'm saying ouch about is the price of flies. The flies I paid about $1.85 for last year jumped up to $2.50 this year. $10 bucks for 4 size 16 Purple Hazes. Gotta get in touch with my tiers here to get me some flies.

2. GAT

GAT Dumbfounded

I'll sell you patterns for $2.49 ea. :)

3. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Ha,ha,ha.

I got people here that tie me up flies because I'm such a nice and friendly guy and the charge is free.

constructeur likes this.
  4. plarsen111

plarsen111 Member

theflystop.com

5. dean Barrett

dean Barrett Member

There is another forum... Hairwing530 ties beautiful flies for a good cause, very reasonable.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

6. Jim Ficklin

Jim Ficklin Genuine Montana Fossil

Let me know if you need some flies, Jim; they might not be pretty, but they catch fish. Also, if threading the tippet thru the eye is part of the problem, try one of these; I'm in the same boat vision-wise & it works (so well that I bought a spare, 'cuz I lose things, too.)!
    http://www.amazon.com/20-Magnetic-Tippet-Threader/dp/B002Q0A4BC

7. Keith Hixson

Keith Hixson Active Member

8. jeff bandy

jeff bandy Make my day

When it comes to small eye hooks verses my eyes, I always lose. Now anything smaller then a 16 goes on a needle threader. they are cheap and you can preload them. put your tippet thru and pull off the fly. I can do that in the dusk with fish rising all around me.

9. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

I have two of these things and seldom use them. I also have several other gadgets for threading small eyes. I prefer to just eye ball them. I have found out that on the really small eyes that if you trim your 5x tippet on an angle it goes into the eyes easier. It doesn't seem like much but it works.

When you get older you come up with all sorts of ways to make things easier for you to get on with.

Also I have so many flies now I don' t use. It's just the flies I never tried I end up buying just to see if they work. Somebody mentioned to me to try the Purple Haze fly. I got a couple last year but they were to big. A size 12. I'm used to using small flies and the size 12 looked like a gigantic fly. I wanted something smaller.

Jim Ficklin and Bonefish Jack like this.
  10. Jim Ficklin

Jim Ficklin Genuine Montana Fossil

I never thought of cutting the tippet at an angle, but that makes perfect sense. Thanks for the tip!

11. Teenage Entomologist

Teenage Entomologist Gotta love the pteronarcys.

Well, I tie for a local store, so I could tie you whatever. I do bulk price. Such as 12 flies for $30.00. Poxyback nymphs, Stimi's, or egg patterns:) Local guides like my flies. Screenshot (29).png Good Stimi's.png Screenshot (12).png And they do catch fish. Screenshot (31).png

constructeur likes this.
  12. para_adams

para_adams Active Member

What are some favorites of yours that you might need?

13. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Like I said earlier, I have what I need. It's just when I try something that is new out there I like to try it out here where I fish. I have so many flies now I somewhat forget what all I have.

When I quit tying flies I tried to sell what materials I had. No takers. I totaled up what I spent on supplies and hooks and things for tying flies. It was upward of $800.00. So when I made a trip to Washington I gave all I had to a fellow fly fisher from here. So when I need some flies I just give him a holler. He usually responds with what I ask for.

But thanks to all of you, I'm full up at the moment.