Our new flyshop is now open in Bellingham

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Rick Todd, Apr 3, 2013.

1. hookedonthefly

hookedonthefly Active Member

Thank you for the well wishes!

If you stop by, you will find a framed shadow box behind the counter which was created by Jack Salstrom. The shadow box includes a a black and white picture of Ralph in his basement along with his flies tied by Jack including the Painted Lady, Lady Godiva, Winter Fly, Lord Hamilton, Lady Godiva, Wahl Flower and Lady Hamilton. The "judge" Ralph fished with comes up regularly as well.

Much of Bill McMillan's summer run data came from Ralph's notes. We have the good fortune of getting to hang out with Bill now and then also. We'll have copies of Bill's relatively new book, "May the Rivers Never Sleep" which he'll be coming up to sign in May. He'll gladly sign "Dry Line Steelhead and Other Topics" if you have a copy.

Dick Van Demark came up in conversation as did the "Bellingham Fly Fishing Shop" when Wayne McLemore, the last remaining founding member of the 4th Corner Flyfishers, stopped by the other day. If I understood correctly, the original downtown shop was on Commercial where the "Brandywine Kitchen" lives today.

The history of Bellingham, Whatcom, Stillaguamish and Skagit flyfishing is not forgotten; and, we hope to help ensure that it never is.
    Cheers,
    Ed

2. HauntedByWaters

HauntedByWaters Active Member

Pretty sure it was on Cornwall right downtown. I have fuzzy memories of than being such a young buck. My dad and I went in that place for some flies for a lake fishing trip in Kamlooooooooooooooops.

Will check out the shop soon. My life is a tornado of work and grad school right now but I can vouch for Scott and Ed, both good guys who can fish almost as well as me. ;)

Hey Scott, now that you are a part owner of a fly shop let me know when you are selling your Curado and Loomis float rod. I get a paycheck soon. Lol.

3. hookedonthefly

You no longer have to go to Yeagers'. Scott and I brought in some smelly jelly just for you. Smelly jelly and Intruders.....Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Look forward to seeing you!
    Cheers,
    Ed

4. D.B.

D.B. New Member

I am so glad to hear about your appreciation of our history. It is really important. I was the owner of B'ham Fly Shop. Commercial St. is correct. Early Sage and Ross dealer. Ralph and Dick were my close friends and mentors. Ralph used to take walks with me downtown. He was pretty spry into his eighties. Ralph and I both belonged to the Northwest Outdoor Writers' Association and I recall our many long talks while driving to Washington Fly Club meetings. He was a pivotal influence when I became involved with the writing and photography profession. I filled-out his last fishing license, interestingly for a short trip with Dick to Silver Lake. They floated around for a while in Ralph's vintage Pen-Yan wood boat. Two of the best anglers ever - skunked! Jack can tell you about many interesting summer trips with Dick in BC. Rick Hafele can, I am sure, relate some funny Van Demark stories. I have dozens. Shangri-La, Mystery Lake and local secrets - most were eventually revealed to me in confidence which I honor (well almost) to this day. Hope to visit soon. Again, good luck guys! Danny Homel

5. Nooksack Mac

Nooksack Mac Active Member

The Bellingham Fly Shop was on N. Commercial Street, a few doors down from the Bellingham Towers. Owned and operated by Dan Homel, who wrote several books on vintage fly fishing tackle.

Welcome home, Dan.

6. D.B.

D.B. New Member

Hi Wayne,
    I have actually been a member of this forum for years - just never had the inclination to post anything. Never too late I guess. Danny

7. D.B.

D.B. New Member

And Wayne "the last remaining founding member of 4CFF" makes you sound something like 147 years old. We are not nearly that old!

8. D.B.

D.B. New Member

Just realized I changed the subject of the original post. Sorry, enough said. Great to have a fly shop in Bellingham again.

9. Camo Clad Warrior

Camo Clad Warrior Tight Lines and Screaming Reels!

Stopped by the shop this last week..... Great group of guys and they are even welcoming to us stillwater dudes. Also thanks for the info on the 4 corners fly club we are gonna check out the next meeting. Hopefully we can meet some wff members there.

10. Josh

Josh dead in the water

I highly doubt that there is a single member of the bham crew who minds hearing a little more history. I know I don't.

11. Chris Johnson

Chris Johnson Member: Native Fish Society

This is what a local fly shop does, it is a touch stone of history and knowledge and brings people together who have a common interest that might other wise never meet. You just can't get this shopping on line.

12. kjsteelhead

kjsteelhead Member

You also can't get locally tied flies, outside-the-door casting instruction, and inside-the-shop tying lessons on-line. Nor will you get Ed's personal geography lessons.

13. hookedonthefly

You're not too far off. As lore has it, Wayne was co-designer of the Lady Caroline with Geordie Shanks at the Gordon Castle.

We look forward to meeting you Danny!
    Cheers,
    Ed

14. hookedonthefly

Zing.

15. D.B.

D.B. New Member

. . . . flies tied by Jack including the Painted Lady, Lady Godiva, Winter Fly, Lord Hamilton.
    Actually the Lady Godiva was sort of nonexistent. Whenever Judge Olson caught a steelhead on the Skagit he would tell Ralph that he used a "Lady Godiva". Ralph later discovered the Judge was using different patterns each time and pulling his leg. These guys were very secretive because they competed against each other (in a cordial way) for the largest fish/rainbow trout category in Field & Streams yearly contest back in the 1940s. Ralph gave me one of his Lady Godivas and related this story. Evidently no one knows, even him, what the true original design was!