Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Over & Under Suggestions

6K views 71 replies 22 participants last post by  martyg 
#1 ·
So, I spent Saturday with a couple of other guys on the forum at a fun day at HHR&G club. Shooting went just fine, the hitting was a disappointment. I wasn't the worst but way back for the high number for the day.

I currently have an old reliable 12 ga. 870 pump. The pump is tough on the skeet range. I did manage to hit the fence though on the right hand swing.

Considering an over & under. Not necessarily looking to go cheap but not looking for a pricey set up.

Suggestions / comments / recomendations?

MB

#3 ·
I shoot Ruger Red Labels in 28, 20, & 12 gauges. While they are a tad heavier than higher end guns, these have been very reliable shooters; I particularly enjoy the 28 (on a true 28 gauge frame) & the 20. I am also pleased with CZ shotguns & have heard good things about CZ O/U shotties although mine are SxS configurations also in 28, 20, & 12. I shoot a few clays at our range, but all of the above have served me well as field guns that have accounted for everything from doves, quail, pheasants, chukars, grouse, ducks, geese, a few MT sharpies & the occasional bunny. My "go-to" hunting choice among my shotguns is my 20 gauge Red Label followed closely by a Benelli Montifeltro semi-auto, also in 20 (I seem to shoot these better & both are a delight to carry). Good luck. If possible, handle a few. Should you ever wander down this way & have the time I'd gladly take you to the range so you can try out any/some of mine, Scott.

#7 ·
Scott, take a look at the Mossberg Silver Reserve in 20; not an arm & a leg for expense, shoots nice and looks great! But as both Bill and Jim have said, don't waste your money on something that won't fit. Can't make a silk purse out of a poorly fit gun.....

Franchi also makes a nice O/U. Used to be called the Renaissance. it's a mid-price gun, lightweight, good pointer, and good on the eyes!

#8 ·
I've owned Rugar 12 and 20 gauges, browning 20 gauges and Berretta 12 and 20 ga shotguns. My favorite 12 ga was the Beretta 686
Oryx. It was heavy, 30 inch barrel and great balance.

My favorite 20 ga is my Browning 425 which I've hauled around the globe.

The Ruger Red Labels were fine gun's but they had 26 inch barrels, I found I shoot 30inch guns better.

O/U gun's don't wear out and there should be some good bargains in the used gun markets.

#9 · (Edited)
Are you looking for a field gun or going to be standing on a concrete pad shooting clay? If the latter, the sky is the limit, if the former you need to find a stick for the hunting you will most often be doing. I hunt upland and walk many miles and have a gun that I can carry up to around 8 miles a day and can take a beating. For my use I have a Beretta 686 onyx field grade. I consider my guns tools and want the best one for the job. As for Jim and his generous offer, what he said the Red Labels are known for their quality/value. 28" barrels works best for me chukar,quail,pheasant, and grouse. I will say, being a relative short timer on this forum Jim knows his sh#t and is a good person to ask questions. I am what is properly called a "rough shooter" and god d#*n proud of it.:)

#11 ·
Clb - you kind of nailed it, good in sight!

I would like a field gun, that I could take to the trap range. You have to understand that I started with the 870 wing master - pretty cheap but a good choice hunting the salt & I killed a lot of birds.

Looking to be a bit more refined so that I can wear a fancy tweed hat.

You guys gave been more than kind and I appreciate the input and comments.

My sincere thanks to all.

MB

#13 ·
i had a red label with an english stock. i found the straight stock really increased the recoil. it was tiresome shooting clays. was fine in the field. i sold it. just wasn't what i wanted.

i've shot some really nice citori's. the 12g i borrowed from a buddy couldn't miss in my hands.

i'm leaning towards a 20ga cz lightweight for my next gun.

#18 ·
We reloaded ours and found we could shoot 3/4 oz loads out of our 12's. Claybuster makes the wad and I shot Titewad for the powder. For skeet it didn't matter if we shot 3/4 oz loads or 1 1/2 oz loads. No misses were attributable to the light loads. The misses were because the clay pigeons weren't in the pattern. I did shoot 1 1/4 oz loads under field conditions but nothing heavier. During the senior pheasant hunt one bird was shot with 1 1/4 oz of lead 5's. First lead shot bagged pheasant in 50 years. The senior hunt area was not a steel required state or federal area.

#20 ·
Like we talked on the phone, it depends on what type of shooting you will do the most. Or you can buy a dozen different ones like I have...:rolleyes:. If you go for a Browning, Ruger, or Beretta plan on blowing your $1500 limit by a couple hundred. Shoot some of mine and see what you think...excuse for getting together and beers later...:D

G
#64 ·
Spot on, I always want a Winchester model 12 & shot a bunch of them my uncle had until I resigned my self to the fact I can't hit any thing with one. Went back to Remington 870's and browning Citori o/u, if you can't hit with a gun no matter how stylish it is it's worthless to you. The opportunity to shoot before you buy is priceless !

#21 ·
Having owned and hunted with a lot of different shotguns I have developed some opinions that at least for myself work.

If buying a new OU right now and I hunted upland birds as well as waterfowl I would opt for a 12 guage chambered in 2 3/4 inch. I feel 3 inch shells with steel sacrifice velocity for quantity, and velocity is what makes steel shot work. I would also look for a gun in the 6 1/2 to under 7 pound range. And last I would opt for 26 inch barrels. I learned that with my auto loader and its 24 inch barrel that shorter is better in many ways. There is no loss in velocity, quicker swing and in general a better balance.

Dave

#26 · (Edited)
I'd get a gun from a manufacturer that will always be around to service a gun and have parts. Browning or Beretta would be my top choices. CZ changes their models too often and both them & Franchi can be hit or miss. My Franchi has been returned to the factory twice for function issues.

12ga is probably your best all around gauge as it will kill everything you can hunt/shoot from geese to doves.

This is a good deal on a nice used piece http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?topic=210156

#29 ·
I'd get a gun from a manufacturer that will always be around to service a gun and have parts. Browning or Beretta would be my top choices. CZ changes their models too often and both them & Franchi can be hit or miss.
This can be a valid consideration re: any firearm from any manufacturer. I can personally attest to the fact that CZ USA stands solidly behind their products - they adjusted a sear for me in a shotgun that I purchased used and charged me nothing but the cost of shipping it to them. I was told it could take 5 or 6 weeks; I had it back in 3.

#28 ·
I had a Browning Liege I got for HS graduation. Didn't fit, couldn't hit s&%T with it. Nice gun.
I got a gun that fits. I now hit lots. Sporting clays, trap, geese, quail, whatever. Ithaca makes nice guns, some that fit. but lotsa cash.

Get a gun that fits. Practice.

For O/U guns, it's preference. I like fine guns. CZ's are kinda clunky. Rugers are nice. Benelli's new one is italian sexy. Brownings are, well, Brownings....arguably the best design ever. You may like something else. Cool.

But a 50 buck communist gun that fits beats hell outa any one that doesn't. Get a gun that fits.

#32 · (Edited)
#33 ·
When Randy says a $2K shotgun isn't that expensive and also talks about spending $6500 for a year's shooting, one needs to use a grain of salt to factor what he says.

I don't know how much disposable income you have but for me we're talking real money. What you should ask Randy is if a person is on a budget and can only spend... say $800 on a shotgun what would he buy in the new shotgun class. Not used shotgun but as a new shotgun.

I have 4 Huglu's and can critique them if a person is serious about a gun but am not going to pan them on a general review. All shotguns have good points and all shotguns have bad points. Just depends on who's doing the review.

I've had issues with a DeHaan Huglu and a CZ Huglu. On the CZ's the standard rap is the firing pin springs. CZ customer service will fix shotguns sent to them and turn them around in less than a week. I don't know about you but I could buy a bunch of firing pin springs for the difference in cost between a CZ and a higher cost o/u. Also you might verify just where that other shotgun is made. I've seen Weatherby shotguns, nicely made in appearance and when one checks the details on where they were made...... says Turkey.

I've had issues with the DeHaan after a number of years. I had a sear selector block chip on one side. The problem with that is the part is no longer available in the US. It needed a bead welded on that side and then filed down.

After saying all that my next new shotgun will probably be a Browning Citori. I get a discount from Sportsman's Warehouse and will take advantage of it.

#38 ·
In the article he states that, "...consider that the Beretta 686 and Browning Cynergy models are not that expensive: both well under $2000..."

In reality, if you are going to start to play around with breach loading guns, that sub $2K category is your starting point. If you are going to be srious about wingshooting (guns, ammo, dogs, birds for dogs, training for dogs, vets, travel to shoot, shooting instruction, etc), $6,500 for your yearly expenses is a drop in the bucket.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.