Parking and looters

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by 10incher, Jun 26, 2013.

1. JesseC

JesseC Active Member

I think that's a good plan, but I would fill the back of the van up halfway with mannequins stacked like cords of wood. On the drivers seat i'd leave a roll of duct tape, a handsaw with beef blood on it, and a pair of underwear with a snickers bar melted into it on the dash.

That'll get em.

2. speyfisher

speyfisher Active Member

Back in the day, common practice was to wire your vehicle to the coil with a secret on/off switch. You toucha my car, you gonna get the shit shocked outta you. :D

Bill Aubrey likes this.
  3. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

I can remember that not to long ago, you could park your car in the hills and go fishing and not have to worry about anybody breaking into it. I don't see that problem where I fish at. Where I fish at I seldom ever see anybody else around. Boy, do ever like that.

I had a flat tire out on these back roads of Montana a few years ago. With my bad knees and bad back I managed to get my flat tire off and the good one on. It took me about an hour to get it all done. In that time it took me I never seen another person drive by. And this was a well traveled road. Gotta love these wide open spaces.

4. Bill McAllister

Bill McAllister Member

I haven't had a problem since placing a empty opened box of "Critical Defense" on the dashboard. Maybe just lucky or ???

5. Darryl Pahl

Darryl Pahl Active Member

I was driving down 169 this week hitting the Cedar river. I was going to make my usual (likely illegal) U-turn to park in one of pull-outs when I saw a dark blue Caprice Classic, with a spotlight, crash bumpers on the front, antennae cluster. You know the look - your typical unmarked State Patrol police car. The real standout was that it was parked at a completely crazy-ass angle to the rest of the cars in the pullout. As if it were ready to catch speeders coming over the hill.

Well, that caught my eye - I continued on and made a legal U-turn at the next light. Driving back well under the speed limit I parked (being really careful to make sure I was legally parked) and took a closer look at the now obvious and empty beater of a surplus police car.

So maybe an old police cruiser should be your next fishing vehicle. And be sure to park it at some crazy angle. Any tweaker driving by will just keep on driving.

dryflylarry likes this.
  6. Stonefish

Stonefish Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater

I still think you are giving in by allowing them free access to your personal property plus rewarding them with beer.
    If you do end up leaving a sixer of beer, at least piss in each bottle.
    SF

Bill Aubrey and BASS_TURDS like this.
  7. mx610ktm

mx610ktm Member

Leave enough meth in your rig for an overdose. That should do the trick.

8. kmudgn

kmudgn Active Member

Having a vehicle with stickers that say "Sage, or Loomis, or Baretta", etc is like having a neon sign with an arrow that says "break in here"

Bill Aubrey likes this.
  9. Plecoptera

Plecoptera Active Member

Just don't leave anything of any value in the car, then worse case you get a broken window. If you can't bring it with you on the water you shouldn't be bringing it in the car. Anything left behind is just making your car a huge target.

10. KerryS

KerryS Ignored Member

Better hope they check the door to see if it is unlocked. I had to leave a vehicle in downtown Seattle overnight. When I locked it all up I made the realization that there was nothing in the truck worth a broken window so I left it unlocked on purpose. I came back to find someone had broke the passenger side window anyway.

11. Peyton00

Peyton00 Active Member

.... bad things happen to good people.

I leave my vehicle empty and the doors unlocked during my 25+ years of camping/hiking/fishing. I did lose an ashtray( coins) and a power cord for an electric razor one time..... in all my years of travels.

12. JesseC

JesseC Active Member

I park my vehicle in downtown every night. The only time I've had a break in is on MP18 on Canyon Rd.

Go figure....

13. David Loy

David Loy Senior Moment

Many times in the 70s I'd park my car under the viaduct, windows down and unlocked, for the weekend when I'd go home on the ferry to visit parents and friends. Had a decent Pioneer 8 track stereo in it and dozens of tapes. Never once lost a thing. Times change.
    While I'm yearning to buy another small pickup, the smart move would be to get a good driver that I don't care about for a fish car. Maybe an old Corolla, and not keep anything of value in it. Make it a wagon and leave glove box and all cubbies open for visibility. Not likely though.

14. PT

PT Physhicist

Isn't preparing for someone who might break into your vehicle already altering the fishing ideology you are trying to achieve?

Stuff left in my car is MINE! Not yours, not some tweakers, not some f'n dbags. It's MINE! Beer is MINE, windows are MINE, etc. I'm not out to appease someone who doesn't give a sch.t about his own place in the universe.

I'm with Francis on this one.

mx610ktm likes this.
  15. Peyton00

Peyton00 Active Member

I had a 93 honda accord 4dr. It was solid, and the gas mileage was excellent. It was my fishing/travel car until it was totaled last fall. I didn't buy another roadtrip car( spent insurance money of lord knows what) I am going to start looking again today. It was nice as a single person to have 2 vehicles, i miss the backup car. The way society is heading as i continue with 30+ more years of outdoor activities, in the future they can break out the plastic where they broke out the glass before.;)