Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Pass Fun

5K views 48 replies 16 participants last post by  Jim Wallace 
#1 · (Edited)
After passing on a potential fishing day yesterday in order to help my wife around the house and not fishing a lake the last window opened to me so I could rope some serious chrome instead, my day out at Pass today was much needed.

@golfman44 met me around 6:30 at my house in Everett and we made the trek up North. I of course found myself so wrapped up in my Bull Shitting that I missed the turn off to the lake, which in away became kind of a theme for the day. We did make it to the lake, but both of us dilly dallied the heck around and we didn't end up making it on to the lake to fish until after 8.

We explored without any luck, the shoreline around to the left of the launch up to the first weed bed. At that point I planned to set up and work the outside edge of it for awhile but I noticed a sheriff in the parking lot. Witnessing this event stirred an important thought forward into my prefrontal cortex. What was that thing you need while parking at Pass? Oh yeah! I hauled it back to the launch and luckily no envelope of doom greeted me when I made it back to my car.

Back out onto the water, we worked the shore to the right again without any luck except for one hit on a pattern that @Swimmy had given to me during the summer (Kreelex). So we headed straight over to the weed bed and just past it toward the end of the lake I ended up with my first fish of the day, a nice feisty bow of around 15". We kept working the are for a bit longer and ended up picking up a few more, but I missed many others because of the monstrous size of the pattern.

We did try anchoring up in the area for awhile, working with both indicators and casting and stripping, but honestly the fish seemed to want things trolled, so back to the troll we continued.

We moved down the lake towards the Ranger area and hit a couple more fish on the way. We anchored up around that bay and I think we hit one more fish, but with a slight wind shift, my spidey senses started going off hard and I knew we needed to move further down the shore. Things started buzzing and immediately after re-anchoring we hooked up. We didn't end up landing a lot of fish, but it stayed fairly consistent for awhile there, and we even managed a few under indicators.

Darkness descended much quicker than we anticipated so we made most of the trek back down to the launch in the dark where we missed a few more hits.

Good day even though a long the way I managed to break my 4wt TLR and my 6wt TLR. I have a rod braking problem.

Thanks again golfy! How many dead soldiers did we take home with us? Oh and nice job on your 20lb Brown!

See less See more
#3 ·
You missed the turn to your home water!? That would be like me missing the turn to seatons grove. I don't think it's possible. My truck automatically tries to turn in every time I pass by, like a well trained horse does at your accustomed watering hole.

#20 ·
That's kind'a a large fly for you, Ira. :)

This time of year I really envy you guys with boats. All I have are pontoon boats and fishing from those suckers is not overly warm during the winter... at least they aren't now that I'm 64. I don't have much left of a butt to freeze off...

#24 · (Edited)
Until @Swimmy spends a weekend of steelheading on the coast and holds his own with 4 time guide of the year @golfman44 and crew, he hasn't proven shit. This winter may be the end all be all for @Swimmy.

Was he a kreelex using flash in the pan?

Was he a @b_illymac wannabe poser?

Is he a @Salmo_g silk line apostle?

Was he legit?

Was he a @Irafly indicator down chrome roping beer pounding follower?

Was he a @DanielOcean ex-swing only virgin turned gear chucking disciple?

Only time will tell.

WFF awaits.

Stay tuned folks.

#42 ·
What else will be used to just catch a fish? How about a worm, worm with mini marshmallow, egg with marshmallow, flavored marshmallow, power bait and flavored marshmallow dipped in sauce... smeared in egg juice...above a whole night crawler....slathered in garlic and anus...double glow...sparkly dusted.....double treble....triple barbed... custom painted....custom made...one off light wire hooks..........(take a breath) cause playing, and landing the fish is of utmost importance.

#44 ·
Until @Swimmy spends a weekend of steelheading on the coast and holds his own with 4 time guide of the year @golfman44 and crew, he hasn't proven shit. This winter may be the end all be all for @Swimmy.

Was he a kreelex using flash in the pan?

Was he a @b_illymac wannabe poser?

Is he a @Salmo_g silk line apostle?

Was he legit?

Was he a @Irafly indicator down chrome roping beer pounding follower?

Was he a @DanielOcean ex-swing only virgin turned gear chucking disciple?

Only time will tell.

WFF awaits.

Stay tuned folks.
I have wannabe posers? Dear God I'm almost as cool as you!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.