Pass Lake Report: 4/10

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by ceviche, Apr 13, 2008.

1. ceviche

ceviche Active Member

Feb 26, 2003
    Sorry for the belated report. Sometimes it takes a while to assemble the words.

Curtis hung the "beer" carrot in front of me and got me to join him for a trip to Pass Lake. Sadly, we were not the heavy hitters of the day. He got skunked, and I managed only four trout. One was a dumb enough of a rainbow to take my green (not olive) woolly bugger while it dangled off of my leader, me in the middle of a conversation.

The big hitters were the chironomid (d)anglers. There were probably close to a dozen of them stationed at two distinct sections of the lake. By my and Curtis' estimate, many of them had to have C&R'd around 20 fish. Impressive. However, the big game hunter of the day had to have been Tim, aka, Ford Fenders.

It was a real pleasure to have met Tim. He and I had exchanged PM's over the previous few days, so it was a surprise to meet him for the first time. I first noticed him hunkered down over a couple of hours at this particular spot. After giving over a rising trout to Curtis, I puttered towards Tim while looking for another rising trout. It turned out he had his attention focused on one he had found for himself.

It was while he took a little break from his efforts that we B.S.'d for a bit and introduced ourselves. He explained that he had first started on that fish around 9:00 am, and it had to have been around three hours later that I was talking to him. Talk about focus! :thumb: Also, I have to say that he was very generous with his information, as he revealed the size and type of dry fly he was working the trout with.

Did he know what he was doing? Absolutely. As soon as I left him to his own, he had that fish on! It was clearly a very large trout, as his rod was nearly full-doubled over. It must have taken him between 10 to 15 minutes of fighting to subdue that brute. And what a slab it was: A 21 inch brown. Sweet!

I don't know about the rest of the people here on this site, but I would much rather sight-cast to one good fish that's rising, and catch it on a dry fly, than catch dozens on a chironomid, some nymph, or even a streamer. Moreover, given that this trout was a bruiser of a brown makes Tim's effort that much more awesome. Not just a "casual" victory but, rather, a "singular" victory. Catching one JT in that manner is worthy enough as a day's effort. Here's :beer2: to you, Tim!

So, to finish the report, of the trout I caught, my first was a 12" brown, on a #12 Six-Pack. The second was a 15" rainbow, that was full of spunk and vigor--a decent reel-buzzer of a fish--which was caught on a #8 6XL green Woolly Bugger (a non-standard variation that I've used well for browns in the past). Another two were caught on a smaller, bead-head version of that same bugger. One of those was the one I mentioned above, caught while I was talking to Tim.

I should also mention that I did lose a number of fish, one coming off in the middle of a fight and another in a manner worthy of a quick description.

Well, it was a short fight. It was so short, it lasted less than even two seconds. It was one of those fights where the fish, basically, owns you before things even get heated. As soon as I realized I had a fish on, this trout sky-rocketed so high out of the water that it went well over my head. It had to have been less than a rod's length from me when it went ballistic. I was startled numb when it happened, to say the least. And, to prove who was boss, that trout tossed hook while it was airborne, sending the fly to land between my legs. It was if it wanted to be in the air, just so it could visibly send that despised thing back to me. When I lifted my fly out of the water to examine it, all the hackle on the woolly bugger was standing on end. I suppose it must have been as shocked as I was. My @ss clearly had been handed to me. :beathead:

Anyway, despite my getting my butt handed to me by a trout, the day proved a good one. To Curtis: It was great fishing with you. And thanks for the beers! Next time, don't forget the fins to go with that new pontoon boat. Odd changes in gear tend to throw off the game. And do give those flies I gave you a try. To Tim: It was a pleasure meeting you. Big kudos for taking on and nailing that big brown. You Da Man!

One last item. I must thank the road construction workers for placing that Porta-Potty halfway down the road shoreline. It was very, very clean and well stocked--and conveniently placed for float-tubers who can't make it back to the boat launch in a timely manner. If I had a pen and a sticky-note pad, I would have left a personal note of thanks. Thanks for not being around :clown: and for not locking the can when I needed to go. You guys rock! :thumb:

Tight Lines!
    --Dave E.
  2. Steven Green

Steven Green Hood Canal Pirate

Nov 5, 2007
    Sounds like a great day