Pass Lake Report for 10-17-12

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by aaron j, Oct 17, 2012.

1. aaron j

aaron j Member

A change in the weather allowed for a decent day on the lake. Very little wind and overcast skies met me as I climbed into my waders and entered the water at about 10:00 a.m. The temperature below the surface felt around 60 degrees. A fair amount of algae remains, slowly breaking up as the cool of autumn sets in. No hatches were apparent, but there was some activity along the shoreline, so I rigged up a brown buggerish fly and began casting into the weeds and retrieving with an intermittent stripping rhythm.

A short time later the first of several rainbows in the 16" range inhaled my fly and gave me a spirited fight, finally deferring to my hand. Further down the lake I switched to a minnow pattern and then things warmed up. Four more rainbows and as many tugs followed, adding to the mix one 14" brownie. Near 1:00 p.m. the sun came out and the bite disappeared.

I kicked back toward my car, entertained by several more short-lived scraps, all ending with long-distance releases. Along shore I heard something rustling in a clump of brush--the masked face of a raccoon poked out from a salal bush. One look at me and he high-tailed it back into the woods. Driving home, I couldn't help but smile: a trip to Pass Lake is all I need to make me appreciate our Beautiful Backyard.

Happiness is a tight line.

triploidjunkie and Mark Kraniger like this.
  2. Drifter

Drifter Active Member

Nice writing!

3. Jeff Dodd

Jeff Dodd Active Member

Way to take advantage of the break in weather. Thank you for the report!