Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Pass Lake

2K views 16 replies 10 participants last post by  Daryle Holmstrom 
#1 ·
Im heading over to Pass Lake tomorrow for the first time. Anythign I sould know or any tips you want to share?

#2 ·
I use a size 6 fly in front of a size 12 or 14 on back. Lately (as in monday) I used a Carey Special in front of a circus bunny leech (white leech w/ red painted beadhead). I hooked 3 on the Carey and landed 1, hooked two on the bunny leech and landed 1. (my reel was frozen and wouldnt turn so I lost a couple)

Worked good.

I have actually caught more in the last month there on the Carey than the leech though.

The time before I had a size 6 white zonker in front of a size 12 Carey. 6 to 1 Carey.

#5 ·
Under my waders I wear a pair of thermals, two pair of fleece wading socks, a pair of lightweight fleece pants, and a pair of heavy weight fleece pants. Then on top I wear a heavy fleece vest with a long sleeved pull over fleece on top.

#6 ·
newbie_fish said:
I was wonering what do you guys wear to keep warm while sitting in the lake? I have a U shaped float tube. I've fished in the summer but not in the winter (yet). One reason I ask is Id like to head out to pass lake one of these days when the wind isn't so bad. thanks

Mike
As much clothes as you can fit in your waders.

I had a good first time at Pass Lake I landed a nice 16" and 18" rainbow. I think next time ill do a little better.

#7 ·
As for me, I have an Outcast so my butt is out of the water. I just layer, layer, layer. Last layer may be fleece or down depending on how cold. Couple of pairs of socks, one heavy wool - Filson. I also use one of those pull over neck warmers - works great.

I picked up (5) on 12/3, including one tiger.

#13 ·
I don't wear as many layers. I take out some foot warmers about an hour before so they heat up well. I stick them to the insole of my wool socks before putting on my waders. I wear heavy fleece pants and multiple layers on top. One thing that helped me with the wind was buying a fleece neck wrap like they use in skiing. It keeps the chill out.

For fishing in very cold weather, unless the bugs are showing in the shallows, I focus on water 10' deep or more. With the turnover, I understand the water is warmer below the thermocline. Also, if the lake has springs, I focus on those areas as well regardless of how deep the spring is.

Pete

#14 ·
Was out same day (Sunday) and hit one of those tigers as well. Looked odd so I took a pic...can't tell much due to the shoddy photography but his coloring was rather bland and the head/jaw was sort of cuda-shaped (for a trout).

Also took a snap of all the 'pond scum' at the launch. Quite different from last month's algae...had to navigate several yards of this green-n-black swirly shit going out & coming in. Gets all over everything and takes a while to hose off...good fun. Yeah, sorry for the crap-quality photos - I don't take pics often.

Good action there...saw Micro hitting 'em hard on the other side as well..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.