Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Pass lake

1K views 14 replies 12 participants last post by  Fred Aldridge 
#1 ·
I just wanna make sure that everything is OK up there. Last time i went up to fish pass lake it was frozen over. Yes i know it is not frozen right now. I was also wonder if you guys could give me any advice on how to fish hatches? I have tried before and i never get anything. Do you have to match it perfectly? Any and all help is welcome. I will be out there Sunday in my Redcat.

Thanks KC

#3 ·
I was there yesterday definetly not frozen. Had some good strikes and got snapped off using 4x. Landed about a 14" on a bullett head minnow. Fish have been pretty shallow. A few other guys were out there and doing alot better than me. They said there hasn't been much chromonid action.

#4 ·
A friend and I got into a great mayfly? hatch a couple weeks ago, lasted about 2 hrs (1pm to 3pmish) and the fish were rising like crazy. We put the W-buggers away and I switched to a mayfly dry and my friend put on a Pchute Adams. That's the only time I've seen it that good on top but then again I've only been there 4 or 5 times. Anyway... they didn't seem too picky that day.

#6 ·
For what it's worth Pass is at its absolute peak now and has been for weeks (I'm seeing about 1.5x that of last fall). That plus attendance has been down lately with chironomid guys clearing out. At least on streamers (cast/stripped, not trolled) the lake is coughing up big numbers consistently in daylight hours. Mostly the 16-18" RB's with a few smaller and a couple of browns mixed in. Yesterday was interesting as the colder windy weather had them located differently for the first time in a while, same numbers on the day though. Whereas I've been seeing them shallow in the open, they were stacked up along the banks this time. Main thing is I'd fish near the surface all day...guessing they'll be back into the open water by this weekend with the warmer stable weather coming back. If that's the case and the banks aren't active, work the outer shoals and just beyond. If the banks are active spend some time in any spot you get a strike, you may see more than one (I've had up to 11 from a single location along the bank...they'll stack several at a time in the right spot, generally where it drops abruptly). Also, where those submerged hedges (brown bushes) are, treat the edges of those like the shoreline...hang back and cast just in front of them, count 3 and strip back like hell. I've seen guys park right over the top of those to cast inside of them...if you're that close in you're running over them.

Several ways to bury the hook but I haven't heard of bigger numbers from something other than fast streamers. They're feeding in groups or zones now so on any strike I'd start working the immediate area moving and casting in all directions. Key is hard strip. Really hard. If your arm isn't falling off your going too slow. If you're too slow you can fish right through them and never know they were there. Anyhow, find them and rip through the area hard enough and your fly selection won't matter. Recommend a sinker even though fished shallow. Here's why: Floater throws boat wakes in calm conditions. Sinker casts better in windier conditions (this matters when you're casting all directions in open water). Sinker allows flexibility when searching or presenting in structure, i.e. a quick drop in front of overhang or steep bank sections.

Bite has been all day lately but mid-day into eve is showing greatest numbers. Night time is a whole different game but its been covered recently in other threads. Anyhow, Pass can fish one of 50 ways throughout the year but this is what it's doing at the moment.

Sorry for the book but hope it's useful. Good luck!

#9 ·
there has been plenty of spaces as of late as far as camping at the park.

rwbailey05 i would avoid the sinktip. the floating section just brings the tip back up to the surface under a fast strip rendering it pretty counterproductive. type III or heavier in this case (IMHO)

just as fenders describes it his advice and knowledge is golden. full sink, stout leader, streamer. cast, count to 3, hard strips. fish on.

repeat.

a great day just got handed to you. enjoy.

#11 ·
Went out early on Saturday to Pass Lake. I was fishing a Stillwater Nymph pattern (olive with orange hackle) the entire time. I caught 5 bows and lost about 3. I have never had fish jump so high out of the water, it seems like 3 feet or so. They were all really great fights the biggest being about 15".

At one point I casted out and on my first strip I hooked up and had a bow shoot out of the water and the hook came out, I couldn't handle the slack fast enough. Then my very next cast I hooked up again and got that one in. Then again on my third cast I had another shoot out of the water and came unbuttoned. It was really exciting.

I talked to one other guy out there who said he had 5 as well so I feel pretty good about my first time out. If your on here, I was in the Reddish buck's bag bullet tube.

#14 ·
Kinda random for this post, but today I had a great day at Pass with dry flies. Probably my best day there ever with dries. Three browns (two good 'uns and one new stocker), a couple rainbows and several missed strikes. Lotsa' fun. All on a #14 EHC with a dark wing. I've tried several midge emerger and adult patterns thinking, duh, midges all over the place. But that EHC does the business. Gotta be a mojo thing.

Redcat, if you go south on Whidbey there are several more state and local parks you can camp. A bit more of a drive, but they're there.

#15 ·
Had a great day on Pass Saturday. 16 to the net, all on Hale Bopp leeches and a full sinking line. Lost several others that jumped and tossed the hook. Warm weather, relatively light winds and lots of fish. All were bigger than I caught about 3 weeks ago. Must have been a recent stocking then.

Fred

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.